PDA

View Full Version : PlugR aerator

fieroboi
03-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm looking at purchasing an aerator. I'm very familar with the Bluebird one, but have been consideriing a "PlugR". Has anyone used one of them? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, AB

Steve
03-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Lloyd,

We have seen a lot more discussions on using the organic aeration spray products and they seem to work really well. Have you considered using that kind of product over using aerator equipment?

Steve
02-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Did you ever get the aerator? What did you think of it?

fieroboi
02-12-2011, 06:50 AM
I did purchase the "PlugR" aerator. I bought it in the Spring, and I have to admit that after running a Bluebird for the past few seasons, I am really happy with it. It handles so much easier than the Bluebird and it doesn't tear up the soil like the drum aerators tend to do. I even had a few calls from clients that asked what type of aerator I used because they did not want a drum one used on their property.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, AB

Steve
02-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Have you found it was worthwhile though to purchase? Was there enough business for that service to warrant the need to purchase it?

I think a lot of newer lawn care business owners fall into that trap of buying equipment that is just not going to be utilized enough.

fieroboi
02-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Have you found it was worthwhile though to purchase? Was there enough business for that service to warrant the need to purchase it?

I think a lot of newer lawn care business owners fall into that trap of buying equipment that is just not going to be utilized enough.

That a good question Steve. It sure was for me, but I had built up the need for it by offering that service for two years before buying it. I rented both a power rake and aerator for two years from the local rental shop. Many of you will say what a waste of money, but it allowed me to gain lots of knowledge and test the market without a huge outlay in cash. Sure those first two years the profit from that service was not super high but I still made decent money. Once i did buy one, my machine paid for itself in the first week to ten days.

Your so right about new guys buying and not using equipment to its full potential. Sadly, it is one of the reasons we see many fail and go under. As you and I have discussed before in other posts, I don't believe in buying things on credit. I struggled through the past couple of years with a small 5 X 8 enclosed cargo trailer, I just ordered my new one a week ago. It is 6 x 14 enclosed cargo with ramp door. I am also ordering a power rake this year as it too will pay for itself in about a week or so.

Two years renting an aerator and three years renting a power rake, I've got people booked already for both in the spring, some booked last fall. Once you got demand your good to GO! This year will be so much more profitable with those two services.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, AB

Steve
02-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Lloyd,

What gave you the final push to jump on it this year say versus next year? I bet a lot of readers wonder when the time is right to buy such equipment.

Did it just come down to budgeting and this year you felt you had set aside enough money for it or was it something else?

fieroboi
02-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Lloyd,

What gave you the final push to jump on it this year say versus next year? I bet a lot of readers wonder when the time is right to buy such equipment.

Did it just come down to budgeting and this year you felt you had set aside enough money for it or was it something else?

Steve,

It is always about the budget and money for me. I had made the decision the year before after renting that I would budget and save the money. So after getting through the remaining part of the year, setting aside money for an aerator I purchased it out right.

I did the same thing this past year with regards to purchasing a new trailer and also a power rake for this year. I really could have used a larger enclosed trailer last year, but I forced myself to continue with the small one that I had (5X8). There was so many times I was tempted to go finance a larger one, especially last fall when fall cleanups were in full swing. Almost two weeks ago I ordered my new enclosed trailer and I am calling my equipment guy near the end of the month to order the power rake for spring season. Both items will be paid for in full, leaving money in the bank for any emergency situations that may arise.

I guess I'm a real stickler for holding things to a budget!

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, Alberta

Growing Green
02-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Steve,

It is always about the budget and money for me. I had made the decision the year before after renting that I would budget and save the money. So after getting through the remaining part of the year, setting aside money for an aerator I purchased it out right.

I did the same thing this past year with regards to purchasing a new trailer and also a power rake for this year. I really could have used a larger enclosed trailer last year, but I forced myself to continue with the small one that I had (5X8). There was so many times I was tempted to go finance a larger one, especially last fall when fall cleanups were in full swing. Almost two weeks ago I ordered my new enclosed trailer and I am calling my equipment guy near the end of the month to order the power rake for spring season. Both items will be paid for in full, leaving money in the bank for any emergency situations that may arise.

I guess I'm a real stickler for holding things to a budget!

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, Alberta

Paying cash is the way to go. I refuse to borrow even one penny on my business. I don't care if it makes me grow slower.

Matt

fieroboi
02-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Paying cash is the way to go. I refuse to borrow even one penny on my business. I don't care if it makes me grow slower.

Matt

Exactly Matt. I also haven't borrowed a penny, and while i'm sure it has not allowed my business to grow as fast as it might have. I haven't had to take on clients just to pay debt. The first couple of years was tough, but now I'm finding that things are starting to snowball. A position I'm really happy to be in. Not to mention much less stress with NO debt!

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, Alberta

kdvandco
02-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Thats a big reason I dont want to get a new truck even tho I feel it may help my business, As of right now everything I use, I own, once my intial big purchase(trailer and mower),was worked off, its been 100 percent profit, minus fuel, ,normal maintenance and minimal repairs- knock on wood

side note. we have a local pawn shop that lets you layaway things for as little as ten percent, and as long as you pay say 5 bux a month theres no time limit on gettting it. I love the place, as we speak I have a stihl fs 85 trimmer and fishing pole I snagged a few months ago for 90 for the 2,
soon I'll have them in my arsenal.
on any given day ill have something on layaway there, I mean why not no interest and take as you want. video games guitars tools, guns, tools, runs tools , and more tools..
I hope they never change their policies! sorry I got carried away with it lol.. does that count as credit? I dont get it till its paid lol.