PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Kissimmee FL

Gotalgae
03-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Just wanted to say Hi from Kissimmee FL. I have been in the property maintenance business since 1997. Family owned business. We took care of lawns, swimming pools, pressure washing and general maintenance. About 1 yr ago I branched out and started my own pressure washing/no pressure roof cleaning company. It has been moderately successful.
Due to health reasons the family business is being folded and I will be taking full control of the lawn accounts. I have 22 as we speak.
A fellow member (cleaning doctor) recommended this site and I have been reading it for around 2 months or so. Great information to say the least. I am learning a lot regarding marketing as this has been my weak point for years. We never advertised with the family business because we have had homeowner accounts for years and saw no reason to expand, not until I have taken the reins :)

Steve
03-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Welcome to our forum!

I think we see quite a few members on here who grow up in family businesses and want to branch out.

What made you want to branch out like that versus try to push the family business further?

cklandscapingorlando
03-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Welcome. I'm in Orlando

XtreemGreen
03-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Welcome... Im over here in Pasco county..

ritchiem
03-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Gotalgae
03-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Welcome to our forum!

I think we see quite a few members on here who grow up in family businesses and want to branch out.

What made you want to branch out like that versus try to push the family business further?

Thank you for the welcome guys.

I looked at all of the aspects of the business which I enjoyed and those which I disliked. We actually manage homes for overseas owners full time and I really don't enjoy it so much. Dealing with guests etc. I'd rather just get my head down and get things done. For example I really do not like cleaning swimming pools. Although the money is good I do not look forward to it at all and get zero satisfaction. I will only be continuing the pools for the existing accounts and not taking on anymore. I love seeing a cut yard or a clean home after I have washed it.

Steve
03-02-2010, 12:05 PM
We actually manage homes for overseas owners full time and I really don't enjoy it so much.

What is involved in managing homes?

Also what have you found that you don't like about it?

Gotalgae
03-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Basically we do everything a homeowner would do if they were there. Lawn care, pool care, cleaning and maintenance items. Paying bills. Rent the property out for them. 99% are short-term rental properties i.e vacation homes. We just collect a monthly management fee that covers all costs.
It is sometimes tough when they don't send out enough money or have enough money in their accounts over here to cover current expenses. We basically have to use company money to keep the utilities on in some cases because if there is a guest in the home we cannot just have the power/water turned off.
Most of the homeowners and guests are great but some can be a real pain (the 7 am Sunday morning calls to change a light bulb etc). Why is the pool cold when it's 40 degrees outside. The blocked toilets. The lost keys ... I could go on forever. It burns you out and I personally found that it was/is turning me into a grouch. I'd rather be happy and just provide simple services,; not full management. At 33 I need to begin enjoying as opposed to dreading it. Hence I really don't like cleaning pools so I'm going to cut that out for new clients.

Steve
03-03-2010, 11:56 AM
I personally found that it was/is turning me into a grouch. I'd rather be happy and just provide simple services,; not full management. At 33 I need to begin enjoying as opposed to dreading it. Hence I really don't like cleaning pools so I'm going to cut that out for new clients.

That is a very interesting topic!

Is it possible any business can end up like this? How can we set things up where we don't have such issues? Where we can enjoy our business more?

Did you ever reflect on the way your family business dealt with the customers and think it would be better if they were handled like this.... And that would help lower the stress level or was that not possible?