PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Idea

rick3499
03-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Hello,

So I know I'm new here, and I haven't contributed any posts, but I will try to become more involved. I am trying to start my lawn care business in 2011. My biggest concentration starting next fall is going to be getting clients. I plan on getting an enclosed trailer to go along with my utility trailer, I thought about getting magnetic advertisements made up to put on the side of my truck and trailer and on the back of the trailer as well. I was thinking of putting something like, "Call for your free mow today" or something like that to get potential customers attention, and have my phone number listed below that along with a few other tidbits. Has anyone tried this, and how was the reaction? Do you feel it helps to have your phone number available as advertising on your trailer and truck? And has anyone made up the magnetic signs for trailers and trucks, if so how much could I expect to pay for something like this and where could I find them? Thanks so much, I cant wait to keep working out ideas with the help of the real experts.

picframer
03-01-2010, 05:19 AM
Most of our marketing is things that I have picked up over the years, looking at services I have used and how I found them and customer feedback.

Having your name and number on your vehicles including trailers is critical along with the services you offer, we picked up a pile of business last year from this, had people call us following us on the highway, calls from people that saw our vehicle(s) at a coffee shop or at lunch, people walking by a job site and perhaps they took one of our cards from the side of the truck where we have a holder.

When it comes to magnetic signs, I can only offer feedback clients gave me, our target market is middle to upper class, while I do have magnetic signs and started the first couple of weeks with them, the feedback or comments were not good, for whatever reason some prospects see magnetic signs as a fly by night company, not all but after hearing this a few times from prospects, I went with vinyl lettering and have never looked back.

We do not offer any free mow's or core services for free, yes the guys will do something for free for the customer if it's an easy quick thing to do.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in the coming season.

Steve
03-01-2010, 10:17 AM
I was thinking of putting something like, "Call for your free mow today" or something like that to get potential customers attention

What would be your plan with this?

Can you explain it a little more?

Jlaugh
03-01-2010, 08:45 PM
t company, not all but after hearing this a few times from prospects, I went with vinyl lettering and have never looked back.

I'm not that familiar with vinyl lettering. Is it easy to take on and off like magnet signs or is it somewhat permanent?

Steve
03-02-2010, 11:15 AM
It wouldn't be something you would want to put on and take off. You would want to do it once but I don't think removing it would damage the paint below.

Florida Mowin
03-02-2010, 02:49 PM
vinyl does not ruin the paint, although after having it on for a while, the paint around it will fade a little and you will be able to see where the lettering was if it is removed. Price you pay for business. Magnets will do the same thing if left on for extended time. most trailers are aluminum and magnets will not stick to them.
Everyone would agree your name , telephone number, and logo, along with your web site address if you have one needs to be on all of your trucks and trailers; but comming up with a gimmick or slogan should not.
You are asking for nothing but trouble advertising free mows on your equipment. That type of advertising is for flyers and coupons. Not for someone to remember your company by. If customers are only calling you because of a free mow, they are NOT the customers you want!
vinyl is a very competitive business also. shop around for the best deal in your area. Lettering is reasonable. I think i paid around $75 - $100 bucks per truck pannel. Door panel, tailgate, bed sides. obviously the bigger work on the trailer was more.
Remember your equipment is going to be your potential customers first impression. We all know how important first impressions are.

rick3499
03-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I will have to check out the vinyl lettering for the trailer, I would prefer not to go there with the truck, but we'll see how successful things are.
As far as my call for your free mow idea, I was thinking that would catch the eye of a lot of people and I was thinking of offering a free mow to accurately quote their lawn and show them my expertise before they signed up for their year of mowing. Has anyone experimented with this? Could be a bad idea I suppose if people were using you for a free mow with the intention of never signing on anyways, but i also thought it could be a good idea to get new clients and show them my commitment and work ethic? Not sure what you might think of this? Good, bad - anyone?

Steve
03-03-2010, 12:56 PM
You are asking for nothing but trouble advertising free mows on your equipment. That type of advertising is for flyers and coupons. Not for someone to remember your company by. If customers are only calling you because of a free mow, they are NOT the customers you want!

What other ways would you suggest a lawn care business market themselves to focus on getting the right customers?