PDA

View Full Version : When is enough enough?

jasonw
02-26-2010, 01:48 AM
I'm sure a lot of people ask that question. Is enough enough when you just don't enjoy it anymore? When it gets harder to make ends meet? How long on the end of the losing stick before giving in?

ProCut TM
02-26-2010, 02:24 AM
If you're not succeeding/excelling in this business after 1.5-2 years you might consider getting a job working for someone else.

CHEESE2009
02-26-2010, 05:48 AM
I'm sure a lot of people ask that question. Is enough enough when you just don't enjoy it anymore? When it gets harder to make ends meet? How long on the end of the losing stick before giving in?

My honest answer.

When all the woman in the world board their space ships & leave us men behind.

I would be happy living in a cave with a bag of chips & a case of beer.

Add a woman to the picture, we burn ourselves out until we obtain them as a partner. We relax, & enjoy our success just for a short while. Then they leave us for relaxing too long for not being romantic 24/7.

Woman are never satisfied, the fact is, woman don't know what they want. They live their life testing out everything & anything possible. They are Pokemon trainers trying to catch each and every one of us, seriously...

They want a man who works all day & brings home the bread, then they feel lonely (get a damn job your man is working for your happiness).

Woman will leave that man for a bum, they will feel "free like a bird"... give it a week & she'll be saying, "so what are your plans for the future.. hmmm that doesn't interest me.. NEXT"

So basically, the thing that keeps me going is the poon.

ProCut TM
02-26-2010, 09:21 AM
brother BREEZE I think you went off topic

jasonw
02-26-2010, 10:45 AM
LOL:) yes I think the topic was scued a little bit, maybe just a tinny bit. Woman is a stupid reason to stay in business, well unless your a jigalow but that's not the topic.

That being said I have been tossing this very topic around a lot. My personal situation is as follows, I am really not making any money, I am staying in the black but just barley. After gas and other expenses I may have like $5 per month extra that I cant even touch but rather put in the bank just in case another peace of equipment caves in. Right now with our weather I only have one regular client who only gets there lawn mowed once per month for $40 so my business is taking in $40 per month right now. I am starting to just not enjoy it anymore. I figure that's it I quit. I have a few other ventures that are taking off like wildfire so I will quit and focus more on them but for some reason I keep going. I say I quit but then tomorrow I get right back at it. It strange to me I mean
1- No money
2- No clients
3- Not enjoying it
4- Far less time with family
5- Other ventures doing well.

The clear answer is QUIT but for some reason I just cant. I don't know its weird.

jasonw
02-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Keep in mind also that I have only been in business for 7 months so for being under a year old and in a failing economy I am still managing to keep it in the black each month which I guess says a lot for itself. I just figure sense this is not my first rodeo I should have skipped a lot of loose ends and pulled a profit sooner I don't know. I guess so long as it stays in the black maybe its worth hanging onto a little while longer.

Steve
02-26-2010, 11:25 AM
The clear answer is QUIT but for some reason I just cant. I don't know its weird.

Can you tell us a little about why you feel this way? If you sit there and think, I am sure answers would appear.

jasonw
02-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Can you tell us a little about why you feel this way? If you sit there and think, I am sure answers would appear.

Steve, honestly the answer is not there. I just got done working in the office all morning. I don't get paid to work in the office but again hit some red tape. Had that change the name on file for the business license then run the new license to the bank. I am fighting back and forth with the insurance company so I finally told them to stick it and called a new one. I look back at all the work I did for free for the past 5 hours and think screw it I quit but I know it wont work out that way. I mean realistically I love all aspects of business. I love for example the bank or city for a change asking me what I want to do rather than me trying to figure out what they will allow me to do. I love talking to my clients about there ups and downs, there is something fascinating about not just the business end of the call but to hear all about how there new years went. I love going over the schedule and seeing where I can fit in my employee, unfortunately now he is for the most part SOL but just the feeling of depending on myself and the good decisions I MUST make it awesome. Even though its stressful knowing someone ells depends on me for a paycheck its all good. When other depend on the money you make it means you are doing something right. On the other hand I have never yet had to put so much into something for such a small return. Everything ells I have gotten into just had massive cash flow strait away. No matter if I went to Mexico for the weekend or worked in the office 48 hours strait there was still hundreds if not thousands of dollars daily coming and going. I have never ever ever had to scrutinize my business finances to make sure I can put gas in the truck this month but now I do. I have a little voice in my head saying just quit and move on yet when the corporate wheels start turning there is no stopping them. I am an Entrepreneur by design. I have a day job and hate having a boss there, I have for the past 13 years been involved in some sort of venture for profit on the side of my day job. Maybe the is the essence that keeps me going.

On a lighter note the good news is my company has gone through a transformation in the past couple of weeks, this is one reason for the name change. Rather than being a little old lawn care company it has changed to a private holding company. This way I can tie all my ventures into it and take advantage of it during tax time as well as through out the year. I no longer have to keep separate financial records but one master file for the parent company. I do have to now be very careful with my personal records now to keep track that for example another venture is not keeping this lawn care thing afloat. That would be ridicules.

CHEESE2009
02-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Yeah I did go off topic, my bad! My issues kinda followed me onto this thread.:p

It sounds like an unsettling situation you have going on.:(

I'm not sure if I have a real answer because I haven't had it rough yet. Though if I just stop enjoying what I do, & I'm too far off by being able to have a self sufficient company... Hmmm.

I think I'd be pretty hopeless. :confused:

I don't have anything to fall back onto that I'd enjoy doing more, I'd be trapped.

Though there are some times I just wanna throw my hands up in the air & say why bother... There is so much stress involved, sometimes I think to myself, "isn't running a business supposed to make my easier,better,etc". Though I guess if you are lucky, you could hire someone to take on the crummy parts of the business, but that just adds more stress sadly.

jasonw
02-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah I did go off topic, my bad! My issues kinda followed me onto this thread.:p

It sounds like an unsettling situation you have going on.:(

I'm not sure if I have a real answer because I haven't had it rough yet. Though if I just stop enjoying what I do, & I'm too far off by being able to have a self sufficient company... Hmmm.

I think I'd be pretty hopeless. :confused:

I don't have anything to fall back onto that I'd enjoy doing more, I'd be trapped.

Though there are some times I just wanna throw my hands up in the air & say why bother... There is so much stress involved, sometimes I think to myself, "isn't running a business supposed to make my easier,better,etc". Though I guess if you are lucky, you could hire someone to take on the crummy parts of the business, but that just adds more stress sadly.

According to my business plan that's exactly what I am working on. I want to be involved in major decisions and quarterly financial reviews but no other part of the business. I tried already to hire a manager, I was going to pay him out of my own pocket regardless of the business income, give him a company car and pay for all the gas and everything but I guess unemployment is better as he opted to stay on it rather than take the job.

ProCut TM
02-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Keep in mind also that I have only been in business for 7 months. I love going over the schedule and seeing where I can fit in my employee, unfortunately now he is for the most part SOL

OK so here is what I recommend for you.
After only 7 months, do not give up you are half way there.
However, as a start up you should not be hiring anyone, keep it a solo gig until you can't handle it anymore by yourself. If you can't work alone then maybe you should take my fir bit of advice, before I new you were only 7 months in, and get a job working for someone else.

you must work alone for 1.5-2 years to get the company off the ground where you can hire someone.

Treat yourself to a part time helper (for a day) only when you really need it or you feel yourself burning out. (one a month tops, unless you pull some big clean up job that requires help)

Good luck either way you go.

lklandscaping
02-27-2010, 07:20 AM

It depends on how long it's been going on for. Everyone has bad periods of business. As for the not enjoying part, consider selling the business. I'm sure you would be suprised how much you could make..

CHEESE2009
02-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Sometimes I feel like

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/JobtooCrazy.jpg

Steve
02-27-2010, 01:10 PM
It's also very difficult to do anything when you have a day job. A day job by design, is created to suck the life out of you and only let you have enough energy to get to work, to get back home, eat and pass out.

It is very possible that by trying to juggle a day job and a business, the stress is overwhelming and you simply don't have enough energy to put into your business to get the returns you want.

CHEESE2009
02-27-2010, 11:07 PM
It's also very difficult to do anything when you have a day job. A day job by design, is created to suck the life out of you and only let you have enough energy to get to work, to get back home, eat and pass out.

It is very possible that by trying to juggle a day job and a business, the stress is overwhelming and you simply don't have enough energy to put into your business to get the returns you want.

For sure!

And it's a big decision to make the jump into the job you like more. People might be financially satisfied due to working two jobs & will refuse to let go of the one job that makes their life miserable. Sometimes you have to let go & things wont start off pretty, but in time you'll be making just as much as you did, or even more. Not only that, you'll enjoy it when it gets to that point!

jasonw
03-01-2010, 09:00 AM
It depends on how long it's been going on for. Everyone has bad periods of business. As for the not enjoying part, consider selling the business. I'm sure you would be suprised how much you could make..

Honestly. I would never consider that. I have sold businesses before and know there is no way I will get out with what I pu8t in to this one. Not now at least. I only have one client right now.

jasonw
03-01-2010, 09:03 AM

Steve. I somewhat agree but I can not give up my day job. Not now at least. Currently we bring in about 5K per month. To give that up right now would not be smart. We already lost 40K last year and that really hurts. I completely plan on not working for the man eventually but at this point I can not risk it. If nothing els just the idea of giving up a steady job to mow lawns for $40 per month would be the least responsible thing I have ever done. 3 kids cant eat with $40 per month.

jasonw
03-01-2010, 09:10 AM
For sure!

And it's a big decision to make the jump into the job you like more. People might be financially satisfied due to working two jobs & will refuse to let go of the one job that makes their life miserable. Sometimes you have to let go & things wont start off pretty, but in time you'll be making just as much as you did, or even more. Not only that, you'll enjoy it when it gets to that point!

I agree but unfortunately like my other post $40 is not not enough to quit a good job over. I can do without my new cars every year but I must at least be able to make the bare minimum to pay the bills and feed the family before I would consider going full time. Right now I am only doing 1 lawn every 3 weeks for $40, All my other clients have chosen to stop service this time of year while lawns are really not growing. I have cut off all expenditures until my business account was ready. I got my business debit card Saturday and should get the PIN today so I can restart my advertising for this year. All I can hope for is for things to pick up so I in fact can quit the day job. On top of that when the baby is born I am taking 3 months off with pay so that will be even more time to focus on business assuming the baby allows it lol.

Steve
03-01-2010, 10:51 AM
These are all good points to be making on the topic.

I think it is very important to realize what you are trying to do is difficult. When you know it is, you can give yourself credit for being in the battle and knowing it is going to be tough.

It is also most likely going to take longer to get results that others who are doing it fulltime get in a shorter period. If you can keep that in the back of your mind, you will be able to cut yourself some further slack.

Getting a business up and going is a battle. It's a battle for everyone. But it becomes a bigger battle as you go through life and take on more responsibilities.

None of this says it can't be done because we see time and time again on here that it can be done. It just is going to be tougher and a longer battle.

jasonw
03-01-2010, 07:10 PM
These are all good points to be making on the topic.

I think it is very important to realize what you are trying to do is difficult. When you know it is, you can give yourself credit for being in the battle and knowing it is going to be tough.

It is also most likely going to take longer to get results that others who are doing it fulltime get in a shorter period. If you can keep that in the back of your mind, you will be able to cut yourself some further slack.

Getting a business up and going is a battle. It's a battle for everyone. But it becomes a bigger battle as you go through life and take on more responsibilities.

None of this says it can't be done because we see time and time again on here that it can be done. It just is going to be tougher and a longer battle.

That all makes sense Steve but here is where my problem comes in. I look all over around me and see these lawn care places. Mostly run by Hispanics barley making enough money to buy there Carona and let there kids go hungry. I am not down with that at all, If I cant have a million or more dollar corporation then my interest is gone and I am not seeing that. I would love to talk to someone who has achieved that so as to see how possible or impossible it really is.

Steve
03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
If I cant have a million or more dollar corporation then my interest is gone and I am not seeing that.

All of this is understandable. I think this explains some of why you feel the way you do.

In the bigger picture, I do wonder how many people are able to sit there and look at a business and say I can see this being a million dollar plus business. I would think most entrepreneurs don't.

I could be wrong, but I think most go into it for the journey and they never know what might come from it.

I think most people get jobs because they want to know what they are going to make each hour.

I would love to take a poll on here as to why the entrepreneurs who read this forum got started. I would bet the top reason is to be their own boss, to set their own path, to be the captain of their own ship and everything other reason is secondary.

making enough money to buy there Carona and let there kids go hungry. I am not down with that at all

In business as in any other part of life the vast majority will not have a great understanding of the intricacies you need to know to be great at something and successful. The majority will get lack luster results, barely break even or even go from failure to failure.

ProCut TM
03-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Thinking about being a million dollar company after 7 months is a bit absurd.
You have some serious rethinking to do my friend. Most companies don't even turn a profit for the first 5 years (I'm sure you've heard of the 5 year plan). There is no reason that a properly run and operated lawn/landscaping company can't be a multi million dollar a year business, I know of several of them. You are just not going to see it over night or out of most companies.

There are a lot of people here because they can't get a job anywhere else, due to recreational activities. I am not one of those people, my net will surpass 6 figures in 2011 (maybe even this year, just playing the safe bet by saying 2011). A true entrepreneur should always be striving for more! I will be starting 2 more companies this year also in the service industry, and while some might make more money than others it's foolish to toss anything, but a complete loser away.

CHEESE2009
03-02-2010, 12:12 PM
I would love to talk to someone who has achieved that so as to see how possible or impossible it really is.

When the market wasn't over-saturated, the early birds took the worms.

My old "boss" started in 1998, in 2009 he had is million dollar company.

He was lucky because the people who hired him never had a service to take care of their lawns.

He started off with barely anything, accept money from mommy & daddy. He had the best start ever. He took courses in business & hired people from other companies & paid them really well.

Right now, everyone has lawn service, & the ones that don't just aren't worth it.

It's not easy anymore.

My father started his lawn service a few years ago, he got in touch with a mayor who hired him to do lawns around the city. Not sure how he landed that one, but cool.

My dad had a small car, 2 push mowers & was able to afford a new house.

He even bought scaffolding, just to do the odd jobs around the sidings of apartment buildings. Fixing cracks & what not.

Those were good times, when I got out of school or if it was the weekend, we'd be out cutting grass.

When I spoke to him about how he did it all, his response was, "I told the mayor how much money I needed to support my family, & he offered me the work"

Pretty interesting if you ask me.

As of now, he has one wealthy customer who pays him enough to live. They hire him for everything.

When his customer asked him if he could cut the grass, my dad said he unfortunately doesn't have the right equipment... The customer bought everything for him.

As of now, he's just cheering me on saying, "if you ever grow big, you know who to hire" haha.

My dad is my best friend, my mother hates him & thinks he's pathetic. I think he's an inspiration to all under achievers.

With no money at all, he still gave me all my great childhood memories & I respect him for everything he's done.

I just wish he lived in Montreal still, we'd be the perfect business partners.

Dammit, I really wish that! It's better than helping out my stepfather who thinks his crap doesn't stink. Nothing is ever good enough for him, & he's a critic. My dad supports me through everything, & that's why I have hope.

brain
03-02-2010, 04:17 PM
I started with 2 clients last year for 4 months. I just yesterday found out that they both hired other service providers over the winter months. So I get to start this year anew. I am going to have a million dollar business. Period.

While i have read of and met a few million dollar lawn care / landscaper business owners, I intend on making this one a million dollar business, so I can start my next business. I want my business not just for the money, but for the stability I could help establish in my community and especially with my family and friends. Good luck to everyone in 2010.

PS - Pro Cut: I'd bet you could make that goal to surpass 6 figures this year, it's just barely begun. :) And it's gonna be a good year. Period. :D:rolleyes:

adamsmowing88
03-02-2010, 04:32 PM
I never want a millionaire company. I am moving to a town with a population of about 2000 or just a hair over, and its blue collar as hell. But all the people from down state michigan from detroit come up on the weekends to get away. I would be happy just to pull in about 100k a year total. I like my work, and I doubt I will ever hire more than 2 people at a time. I don't want to be behind a desk looking at figures the whole time while my life passes me by. Thats just my 2 cents.

jasonw
03-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Thinking about being a million dollar company after 7 months is a bit absurd.
You have some serious rethinking to do my friend. Most companies don't even turn a profit for the first 5 years (I'm sure you've heard of the 5 year plan). There is no reason that a properly run and operated lawn/landscaping company can't be a multi million dollar a year business, I know of several of them. You are just not going to see it over night or out of most companies.

There are a lot of people here because they can't get a job anywhere else, due to recreational activities. I am not one of those people, my net will surpass 6 figures in 2011 (maybe even this year, just playing the safe bet by saying 2011). A true entrepreneur should always be striving for more! I will be starting 2 more companies this year also in the service industry, and while some might make more money than others it's foolish to toss anything, but a complete loser away.

Procut, I am sorry but you misunderstood me. I dont expect a million dollar company after only 7 months. What I mean is an eventuality. I have yet to find anyone face to face in person that makes more in this industry than I make on my day job now. In fact everyone I have talked to is lucky to get more than minimum wage. If you remember I had an ******* customer that wanted an estimate, He wanted his lawn done for $5 per week like the last kid did for him, My bid was $20 per week, I gave him a %50 discount as I could just about walk my mower to his house and he still about flipped his lid. That is how things are around here. You either do $5 lawns or you are SOL with 1 client who just pays more because they like you.

jasonw
03-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I am going to have a million dollar business. Period.

You mean you will have a million dollars into this business right? LOL:) Joking of course. Guys honestly I cant complain about to much, after all 7 month after my start up I am making a profit. I am just extremely disappointed on how slow things are going. I am holding down so much right now I know a lone man cant do this forever so I hope to god this being my 2nd year that this really takes off so I can let go of my day job and finally relax for 3 minutes a week. Right now its just go go go go from 5am until nearly midnight every night 7 days a week. Lawn care is making me the least now which is why I believe it has a bad taste in my mouth. I have tried everything recommended here this far and nothing has worked for me. I understand there are certain semantics to every situation where what works for one wont for another but common something has to work doesn't it? Even my how to start a business for dummies book failed me lol.

ProCut TM
03-03-2010, 10:45 AM
You either do $5 lawns or you are SOL with 1 client who just pays more because they like you.

I would sell your stuff and find a different business to get into. I don't even take per cut lawns.

Steve
03-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I have a friend who as he was growing up talked about all these big things he wanted to do. Actually, he never had any specific goals other than to be rich.

One time he thought he would be good at financial advising/planning and that he should work on Wall St. There he figured he could tell people where to invest their money and he could buy and sell stocks and his life would be glamorous and he'd be rich.

I thought this was going to be a rough match because his personal finances were a wreck and it seemed any time he played with stocks, he lost money.

So off to Wall Street he went to find a job. The only jobs that were available were cold calling new clients and the pay was based on what you could sell.

He tried this and a short time later he lost interest. This didn't seem to him the pathway to making big money because he wanted the big money now. So he quit and after that floated from job to job. All of them were entry level pay.

I don't hear any big goals or dreams from him anymore. It seemed to all wash away.

Looking back on it all, I think if he would have found something he liked and stuck with it, he could have built something over time that would increase in value. He could have made more and more as he went. But he had this thirst for immediate gratification and it just was never quenched. He burnt out on it all way too soon.

If he could have taken things step by step and enjoyed the journey as he went, he could have done great things.

So my take is, don't give up. Find something you like. Keep at it and become a master of it. The money will follow.