PDA

View Full Version : howdy everyone!

Steve's Lawn Care
02-25-2010, 07:41 PM
hello! i would like to thank the starter of this great web site there are so many great ideas on here!!

Welp my names Steve im 23 and own a small lawn care business.. this year will be my 2nd real year in the busniess( been cutting grass since i could sit on the seat).. my hardest and biggest down fall is advertising and getting customers:( i currently own a dixie chopper silver eagle zero turn mower and am buying a walk behind befor the season starts. I work really hard and always try to do my best im just lost in the dark with getting my name out there:confused:... but is staying positive about this season:) im sure there is plenty i can learn for evenone on here... good luck everyone!

CHEESE2009
02-26-2010, 12:28 AM
hello! i would like to thank the starter of this great web site there are so many great ideas on here!!

Welp my names Steve im 23 and own a small lawn care business.. this year will be my 2nd real year in the busniess( been cutting grass since i could sit on the seat).. my hardest and biggest down fall is advertising and getting customers:( i currently own a dixie chopper silver eagle zero turn mower and am buying a walk behind befor the season starts. I work really hard and always try to do my best im just lost in the dark with getting my name out there:confused:... but is staying positive about this season:) im sure there is plenty i can learn for evenone on here... good luck everyone!

Well my friend, there is unlimited advice on this forum! :D

From what I've read over time, trying every marketing technique at least once will bring you your customers. We can all say what works best, but it all comes down to your area. Flyers are fun (annoying) & inexpensive give or take but I'm sure you've tried them.

The best advice you'll hear is to go out & talk to people face to face. Go ring doorbells if you have to, & sell your services. If a person says no to your service, maybe you can send them a letter a week later saying, "thank you for your time, here is a discount on our lawn service". Just keep reeling them in.

ProCut TM
02-26-2010, 02:40 AM
WELCOME

door to door flyers seems to be the best way to generate start up customers. if you do a good job at a fair price and stand out from the crowd, the repeat and referral business will start to com in. It will take 1.5-2 years before you can really support yourself. Hang in there and stay on the hustle!

Steve's Lawn Care
02-26-2010, 08:16 AM
I would have to agree that the fliers work good and are very cheap. I guess i should know this, last summer i handed out 50 fliers and advertised on one local businesses billboard and i picked up 12 customers( most were from the billboard). Hopeful all of them will be returning.. have any of you out there had great success from adds in the news paper?

Steve
02-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Welcome to our site Steve!!

my hardest and biggest down fall is advertising and getting customers i currently own a dixie chopper silver eagle zero turn mower and am buying a walk behind befor the season starts. I work really hard and always try to do my best im just lost in the dark with getting my name out there

Can you tell me a little about why you feel this is your biggest downfall?

ProCut TM
02-26-2010, 04:40 PM
print is dead don't waste your money on over prices news ads.

Steve's Lawn Care
02-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Procut thank you for the advice i called my local paper and they wanted 339 bucks for a 3 month ad that is 1inch buy 2 inches lol... And Steve i feel that way because i know i dont advertise much.. and mainly because as silly as this sounds im not sure what the best way to do it.. I feel that if i go door to door it may discourage potential customers because they may find that annoing but maybe thats not true.. my local print shop wants 45 dollars for 500 fliers which i thought was a steal. If going door to door is the best way when should i start we have like 2 foot of snow here hah.. whould now be a good idea or wait till the snow melts and ppl can see there grass?

Thanks for the input eveyone!
Steve

XtreemGreen
02-26-2010, 05:52 PM
I print all my own fliers using my computer...I went to staples and bought a case of there brand paper.. I also bought a pack of refill ink...I can print 1000 fliers with 2 refills.. Out of the pack, you can refill your ink ALOT...

ProCut TM
02-26-2010, 09:51 PM
I would canvas the neighborhood you want to work in 1-2 month prior to the season starting. And clover leaf you current customers neighbors every other week you're there to cut.

Steve
02-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Steve,

What kinds of things did you do last year to attract customers?

Steve's Lawn Care
03-01-2010, 12:36 PM
well i guess not a whole lot other than on a bill board infront of a local business seemed to do well tho.. I was thinking about offering 1 free cut with a one year contract or maybe 5 dollors off the whole year.. which do U think would work better?

Steve
03-02-2010, 10:22 AM
I was thinking about offering 1 free cut with a one year contract

I would think this could grab more attention but I have a difficult time with the concept of giving away what you are trying to sell. I think I would like more if you could give away an upsell service in return for a customer signing up with an annual contract.

Steve's Lawn Care
03-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Yes i know exactly what you mean working for free isnt exactly good for me but i was just trying to think of a sure fire way to lure ppl in.. i have found that being extra nice and doing a good job works well to keep the customers happy. I also have always gone a lil slower when the home owners are home also keeps them happy.. the average person doesnt understand that the same good job can be done fast lol