PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Used Truck

lklandscaping
02-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what you all look for when you are buying a USED truck. I'm 17 years old and I have been in the lawn care business since the 4th grade. Any suggestions?

CHEESE2009
02-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what you all look for when you are buying a USED truck. I'm 17 years old and I have been in the lawn care business since the 4th grade. Any suggestions?

I look for another source of income to buy a new truck.

Used vehicles are pretty sketchy.

You could just get a new truck & pay it off over a few years. The longer your payment term, the less you pay per month.

I went to go look at a van the other day, the guy took BEAUTIFUL pics of it, everything was spotless, things weren't rusted.

I go to the guys place, & I wanted to smack him right there.

I take a walk on the passenger side of the van, and well.. there is no passenger side... The doors weren't just missing, the entire side of the van was sliced in half.

Took me awhile to tell this crackhead that I'm not interested.

lklandscaping
02-23-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm sure its a memory you'll never forget...lol

I'm not worried about a fixer upper, I've taken many, many, mech. classes. I've done some research and it looks like a 1999, 2001, and 1007 f-250 v10 seems to be the best bet. I probably wouldn't buy a truck from another landscaper because I know they take a beating (espicially if they are used for plowing).

ProCut TM
02-23-2010, 08:56 PM
forget the v10 the 5.4 v8 is the way to go

rawssrob
02-23-2010, 10:38 PM
It has a lot to due with what you plan on doing with the truck. I was planning on just pulling my mowers around and some mulch on a trailer. It was also going to be my daily driver and not just a work truck. I bought a 2005 dodge 1500 with the 4.7L. It was heavy enough to do what I wanted it to and I was able to get the most truck for my money( looks, gas mileage, miles) opposed to having to buy an older truck or one with more miles that was bigger. The only thing I wish I would have gotten a long bed instead of a short bed

MountainViewGreenskeeper
02-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Lol no its not needed but I love my Dodge 2500 V10 8.0L can pull an haul just about anything. Just wish the gas mileage wasnt so bad. ave bout 9 in town with little free way time. Bought on ebay for half the price so my savings will 1 day out way the fuel cost but not for a while. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

rawssrob
02-23-2010, 11:01 PM
my father has the v10 in his f-350 and its fun to drive. it will wreck havoc on his 12.5 wide tires if you stab it. he gets about the same in town. he did however get 14 mpg twice on his way to missouri

MountainViewGreenskeeper
02-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Ya ive been impressed with the ford v10s as well my dads work truck that hes had for years i thought was a power stroke but no its the v10 in his f450. its diesel power with out the diesel cost in my book almost the same torque and hp curves. hes had very little down time/break downs with it over the years.

lklandscaping
02-24-2010, 05:52 AM
It sounds like the v10 is the way to go.

The main reason I'm not buying a NEW truck is because I know it is going to take a hell of a beating between hauling trailers, debris, material, and plowing.

picframer
02-24-2010, 06:08 AM
Hi everyone,

Due to your age I wouldn't go over the top on an expensive truck, I am going to assume things are the same there as here with respect to insurance which is tied to the value.

I along with dozens of people I know go State side to buy used vehicles as the prices are so much lower and there is very little to do in order to get them to meet the laws here, generally under $500.00

I find a vahicle I am interested in, then google reviews for that year, make, model, you will find known issues. Low milage is always key.

Good luck with your search and all the best in 2010!

lklandscaping
02-24-2010, 06:48 AM
Due to your age I wouldn't go over the top on an expensive truck, I am going to assume things are the same there as here with respect to insurance which is tied to the value.

I along with dozens of people I know go State side to buy used vehicles as the prices are so much lower and there is very little to do in order to get them to meet the laws here, generally under $500.00

I find a vahicle I am interested in, then google reviews for that year, make, model, you will find known issues. Low milage is always key.

Good luck with your search and all the best in 2010!

Thanks

In NY the inspection goes by the year the vehicle was made not the current year, so It shouldn't cost me anything. I wouldn't buy a truck that has failed an inspection anyways.

picframer
02-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Thanks

In NY the inspection goes by the year the vehicle was made not the current year, so It shouldn't cost me anything. I wouldn't buy a truck that has failed an inspection anyways.

Insurance is what I would be concerned about more than the Inspection although it is very important also.

lklandscaping
02-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Insurance is what I would be concerned about more than the Inspection although it is very important also.

Can't drive in NY without insurance

picframer
02-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Can't drive in NY without insurance

Same as here, my point was Insurance is based on the value of the vehicle and the age of the driver.

lklandscaping
02-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Same as here, my point was Insurance is based on the value of the vehicle and the age of the driver.

I understand what you're saying. I'm paying insurance now, it sucks, but I know that I have no other option....