PDA

View Full Version : StevenevetS lol

CHEESE2009
02-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Hey Steve!

Having a chat room was mentioned awhile ago & I was not for it because I thought it would take away from the forum.

Though if you added a chat room, maybe it could be for a certain theme.

I found a great site that offers forums free chat rooms, basically you copy a code & paste it onto the site, magic happens & you got a chat room.

I'm still not sure about the cons though, but I have thought about why it wouldn't be sooo bad.

In a way I don't think a chat room would steal away from the forum,

1. If someone asks a question, only few people on the chat would be able to answer & they wont get everyone's opinion.

2. With a thread, you can re-read through steps & instructions on how to complete a task. On the chat, information is lost almost instantly.

3. People come on the forum to write something, & they will come back in a few hours or the next day to check on the responses. Not everyone spends their entire day on the forum (well maybe not all of it, but were pretty bad).

4. Threads keep things organized & act as a library of learning material, people will encourage others to make a post about big subjects that are brought up in the chat room.

5. I think a lot of unregistered/shy users will be able to have their say. They might just be here to read our posts, but with the ease of a chat room maybe they will start asking questions and/or give us advice?

Anyway, this one is up in the air.

http://www.meebo.com/rooms/
:confused:

Steve
02-24-2010, 11:27 AM
I never actually used a chat room on any other forum.

The thing I like about forums are that you can post something and come back later and see if there is a response. It doesnt have to be real time. And it give others the chance to add to it and learn from it.

Just because I never used one doesn't mean the chat doesnt have an advantage, I just don't know at the moment what it is but I am glad you are thinking of ways to improve the site!

Thanks!

picframer
02-24-2010, 11:33 AM
There is a chat room on the tractor forum I belong to IMHO it takes away from the forums, I have seen a number of great discussions that would benefit the membership but as soon as you sign out, it's lost which doesn't really do anyone any good.