PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Gas Overhead

adamsmowing88
02-21-2010, 04:02 PM
How much gas do you go through in a month's time on average? I am not talking about someone that has a fleet of trucks and 10 zero turns that are 60''cut. I am talking about the one man show, with a push mower, maybe a 42'' cut and your store bought weedeater and blower. Gas used in a 40 hour work week that is, in both the truck and equipment. Please identify your equipment also.

picframer
02-21-2010, 04:19 PM
How much gas do you go through in a month's time on average? I am not talking about someone that has a fleet of trucks and 10 zero turns that are 60''cut. I am talking about the one man show, with a push mower, maybe a 42'' cut and your store bought weedeater and blower. Gas used in a 40 hour work week that is, in both the truck and equipment. Please identify your equipment also.

I just looked at the average in the summer for mowing crews I have

They drive a 2008 Ford Ranger
6 X 10 Trailer
X500 Garder Tractor with a 48" Deck
JS21 Self propelled Mower
Stihl trimmer
BR600 Stihl Blower

Average $715.00 month

Crew 2

They have a 2009 F150
7 X 12 Trailer
Deere 997 ZTR Diesel
JS21 Self Propelled Mower
John Deere Trimmer
BR600 Stihl Blower

Average is $527.00

The difference is the second crew is on big sites with a lot less travel

Steve
02-22-2010, 08:33 AM

That is very interesting and it shows how important it is to keep routes tight to maximize profits!

justin_time
02-22-2010, 11:30 AM

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport
6x12 landscape trailer with 4' side ramp (i think it factors since it grabs in the wind)
1 - Husqvarna commercial Zero turn - 48 inch
1 - Husqvarna tractor/push mower

I average about $450/month for both

picframer
02-22-2010, 06:30 PM
That is very interesting and it shows how important it is to keep routes tight to maximize profits!

I should qualify this by saying the mowing gear is on the road 7 days a week from May until late September, the guys rotate so that I don't get stuck with overtime. Even in the summer I have some staff that are only available a few days a week due to courses, then I have two former military guys that drive school bus mow in between their routes and on some weekends.

May have to hire some older guys this summer however, Insurance is giving me a hard time over people driving and pulling trailers under the age of 25, they will probably win........as always. And yet we are claim free and I haven't even had a speeding ticket in over 30 years.

Steve
02-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Insurance is giving me a hard time over people driving and pulling trailers under the age of 25, they will probably win

What is their problem with this? Talk about age discrimination!

picframer
02-23-2010, 10:45 AM
What is their problem with this? Talk about age discrimination!

New rules, they really have it in for newer drivers, anyhow I haven't given up yet, my position is if they have had their insurance for 3 to 5 years and not one ticket or accident, then what is the problem?

adamsmowing88
02-23-2010, 11:40 AM
My question is, how would include gas in your overhead for your truck and all your equipment within the first true year in the business?[revolving around a 40 hour work week] Because the first year you might say well with my truck and equipment, I am guessing its going to be like 200 a month. But then you get start and realized it should have been more likely 250-300/month. Do you bite the bullet on this season or change them accordingly to the next. Or would you make your prices go slightly higher to cover the expense?

picframer
02-23-2010, 12:19 PM
We took it into account when bidding jobs, if anything our rates could probably go down as we now have numbers of clients within an area that we look after whereas when I quote I calculated as if the crew were leaving the house to drive there and do the job, I make up some in mowing but I really make it up in spraying, or I should say it's easier to make it up in other services as there are so many mowing and a lot do not even take their travel time and cost into consideration.

lklandscaping
02-23-2010, 09:16 PM
I just looked at the average in the summer for mowing crews I have

They drive a 2008 Ford Ranger
6 X 10 Trailer
X500 Garder Tractor with a 48" Deck
JS21 Self propelled Mower
Stihl trimmer
BR600 Stihl Blower

Average $715.00 month

Crew 2

They have a 2009 F150
7 X 12 Trailer
Deere 997 ZTR Diesel
JS21 Self Propelled Mower
John Deere Trimmer
BR600 Stihl Blower

Average is $527.00

Just wondering, How well does your ranger work with pulling a trailer. I was Looking at one but it didn't have much power for pulling and plowing. My salter was also too heavy unless I replaced the suspension...

picframer
02-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Just wondering, How well does your ranger work with pulling a trailer. I was Looking at one but it didn't have much power for pulling and plowing. My salter was also too heavy unless I replaced the suspension...

Power doesn't seem to be a big issue, I can pull the 17D excavator no problems, it comes in at 4,173 pounds, the trailer is around 1,200. I did add another leaf spring and put a Tambor system on it, made a very big difference, then all the trailers have a weight distribution system so that the truck is always level and I run a sway bar on all the trailers also. I drive one of the Rangers and put 24,000K on it last season, 6 ply tires are dritical on the trucks.

As for plowing snow there are lots of guys around here that use Rangers, I personally wouldn't.

I am pretty certain they have 4 liter engines and I ordered them with the trailer towing packages, all are standard and I believe are around 200 h.p.

I thought initally they would save us a pile of bucks on fuel but that has not proven to be the case, if I did it over again I would go state side and buy diesel 3/4 ton's, the savings buying a vehicle there as compared to here, say 2 years old, is $6 to $10 grand. A few mods have to be performed to meet the laws here but nothing serious.

lklandscaping
02-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Power doesn't seem to be a big issue, I can pull the 17D excavator no problems, it comes in at 4,173 pounds, the trailer is around 1,200. I did add another leaf spring and put a Tambor system on it, made a very big difference, then all the trailers have a weight distribution system so that the truck is always level and I run a sway bar on all the trailers also. I drive one of the Rangers and put 24,000K on it last season, 6 ply tires are dritical on the trucks.

As for plowing snow there are lots of guys around here that use Rangers, I personally wouldn't.

I am pretty certain they have 4 liter engines and I ordered them with the trailer towing packages, all are standard and I believe are around 200 h.p.

I thought initally they would save us a pile of bucks on fuel but that has not proven to be the case, if I did it over again I would go state side and buy diesel 3/4 ton's, the savings buying a vehicle there as compared to here, say 2 years old, is $6 to $10 grand. A few mods have to be performed to meet the laws here but nothing serious.

If diesel was easy to get around here I would go diesel, but it is about 45 min. away. I don't want to get a diesel storage tank either.