PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation

pboy8634
02-21-2010, 01:46 PM
How often do you check a customers irrigation system? And what are some things you check for?

Yard Elements
02-21-2010, 03:33 PM
One of the things I do first, is to run through all the zones. Make sure the sprinklers are covering the entire area they are suppose to, and that all areas that need water are getting it.

Along with this I make sure they are all in the right setting and have the right nozzle type for the application.

I make sure there are no huge puddles coming from leaks.

Than set the timer.

This is just the Basics.

Hope it helps!

Steve
02-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Are there monthly things you check or does the post above cover the monthly check up?

Yard Elements
02-23-2010, 12:11 AM
There are quite a few things that should be checked on a regular irrigation can be tricky.

I have a client who is right on the bay, so there well could only be put in so deep. So you have to be careful how much water is used at a time for each zone etc. They have eighteen zones and could use some more.

One problem I had was this winter I wasn't sure how to blow out such a large irrigation system?

The other post should be done regularly, mostly making sure everything is running smoothly and working as it is suppose to is the most important I feel.

pboy8634
02-23-2010, 12:26 AM
This might be a newbie question, but when you go to job sites and you check the system does your company have like a check-off spread sheet or any type of document to record the problems?

ProCut TM
02-23-2010, 12:40 AM
just found a sweet irrigation checklist (http://www.tampagov.net/dept_WATER/information_resources/Sprinkler_Checkup/Sprinkler_System_Checklist.asp)

Steve
02-23-2010, 10:56 AM
That is a great find! How often should you be reviewing all that on the checklist? Per visit, month, season?

ProCut TM
02-23-2010, 06:30 PM
I would think once or twice a year would be good. check it in the spring and again when you winterize it (if your climate calls for it).
I plan on doing it only in the spring.

XtreemGreen
02-23-2010, 07:01 PM
just found a sweet irrigation checklist (http://www.tampagov.net/dept_WATER/information_resources/Sprinkler_Checkup/Sprinkler_System_Checklist.asp)

Thanks for the link John.. Its will be in the downloads...

lklandscaping
02-24-2010, 09:23 PM
nice link.....

Regarding the topic when to inspect.

Twice a year sounds good. Unless a client notices a problem.

Do any of you airate a yard that has an irrigation system. I have heard from others that it is hard to find a landscaper with the "guts" to do so... Someone else said that they set it so the prongs just dig in to the ground... does it sound worth it? If the majority of my clients have irrigation systems is it economical for me to invest in one (there is a high demand to do so, but I don't want to have to replace someones irrigation system?

Steve
02-25-2010, 11:41 AM
I would think you would need to be sure you flag all the heads before starting however with some of the organic aeration discussions we have had on here, there seems to be no reason you couldnt use an organic spray instead of the mechanical aeration process.

lklandscaping
02-25-2010, 11:55 AM
I know about flagging the sprinkler heads but what about the irrigation lines (pipes)?

pboy8634
02-25-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm no expert on aeration or irrigation, but i wouldn't worry to much about the pipe lines. The lines are anywhere from 6-12" buried in the ground and when they aerate our football field they go about 2-3" into the ground. So, unless the person that installed the irrigation system is an idiot, you should be fine!

lklandscaping
02-25-2010, 09:03 PM
makes sense...

polo6468
03-02-2010, 08:16 PM
How often do you check a customers irrigation system? And what are some things you check for?

Hi:
I'm License Irrigator From Houston Texas.
Monthly basis o Four Times a year minimum.
You are going to check the 100% coverage, the amount of water is drop on the turf and flower beds, avoid overflow.
-Heads missing
-Heads and PVC leaks
-Wires cut
-Control work properly.

Steve
03-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi polo6468,

Welcome to our forum!

Do you suggest any other upsell ideas for your irrigation customers?

roclin
03-03-2010, 01:56 PM
One of the things I do first, is to run through all the zones. Make sure the sprinklers are covering the entire area they are suppose to, and that all areas that need water are getting it.

Along with this I make sure they are all in the right setting and have the right nozzle type for the application.

I make sure there are no huge puddles coming from leaks.

Than set the timer.

This is just the Basics.

Hope it helps!

One other thing. Each time you visit a customer, just turn on the sprinklers manually to check for broken heads the mowers tires ran over.:)

roclin
03-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Just another thought when I had several workers using lawnmowers.
There is a problem at times when the mower hits the sprinkler they can break. So after each mowing I or my workers would check the lawn sprinklers by turning on the valve manually, to be sure there was no breakage. I found out early in my career I was charging for repairs my crew was breaking and not telling me.
Another one to check: I had our crew put in 35 oleanders 5 gal. When I came back to the job they were all done in a very short time and I was first impressed. Later after they went home, I started thinking how quick it all happened. So I pulled up about 5 plants and to my surprise; they cut the root to a 1gal! So check your people!

Shark1611
06-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Sad thing about this is that most of us cannot do this because we do not have the license to do so. Not matter how simple it might be.

Good stuff though.Thanks