PDA

View Full Version : how many ppl would you suggest...

Lawnboy618
02-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Im lookin in to doin a big job it is a cemetery and its 258 acres with 180000 head stones anyone has a guess how many ppl this would take to do weekly??

picframer
02-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Im lookin in to doin a big job it is a cemetery and its 258 acres with 180000 head stones anyone has a guess how many ppl this would take to do weekly??

Personally four guys on trimmers and two on mowers, maybe three. That is a massive job.

Lawnboy618
02-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Personally four guys on trimmers and two on mowers, maybe three. That is a massive job.

yea we can only do 8 hours a day no o/t only 7-4:30 mon-fri... dont you think itd take like at least 15 ppl to do this or no?

JP Landscaping
02-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Do you plan on knocking out the whole job in one day?

How many head stones can one of your employees trim per minute?

and what size equipment can u use? can you knock out an acre per hour?

Lawnboy618
02-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Do you plan on knocking out the whole job in one day?

How many head stones can one of your employees trim per minute?

and what size equipment can u use? can you knock out an acre per hour?

no its gotta be mon-fri 40 hrs a week.... i would assume 3-4 stones a minute prolly 2 z turn a 60" and a 72" and 2 walk behinds like a 36" and a 54".. idk what i can do per hour there ive nvr done anything like it

JP Landscaping
02-21-2010, 12:34 AM
3 stones per min x 60 min = 180 stones per hour
180000 stones / by 180 per hour = 1000 hours for trimming

1000 man hours / by 40 hours a week = 25 guys on trimming 40 hrs/week

If it helps I used to work for a lawn company and we mowed two cemetaries. One bigger than the other. Two man crew. One of us mowed while the other trimmed. On each we spent about the same amount of time trimming as we did mowing.

If it holds true, then I would say 50 people. but you don't have 25 mowers to be running while the trimmers are running. That is a huge area!

picframer
02-21-2010, 06:49 AM
no its gotta be mon-fri 40 hrs a week.... i would assume 3-4 stones a minute prolly 2 z turn a 60" and a 72" and 2 walk behinds like a 36" and a 54".. idk what i can do per hour there ive nvr done anything like it

I guess I would almost have to see it to see how much open area there is, My ZTR has a 72" Deck however I can add Bat wings which is what a neighbour did as he has a few school contracts, I ran into him one morning out walking our dogs and asked what his ZTR will mow per hour with the wings as it's the same as we have except I do not have wings, he said his operator averages around 7 acres per hour however in your case the wings would probably not work for the headstone area.

I read a post a long time ago in another forum where the guy was doing a cemetery, he had bought the Dr. Trimmer which is self propelled, main reason here was efficiency in that the operator would not tire near as fast compared to a regular trimmer, this would increase the number of stones you could do per hour however I have no idea how many it would do but if they are lined up fairly well it would be a lot.

If you have to hire 25 to 50 people the operating costs are going to be very steep, Workers Comp, Pension and Unemployment Insurance here is a major thorn in my side and workers comp is tied not only to gross sales but also to the number of employees. That being said in a case like yours if I won the contract, I would have the equipment lined up that would offer the greatest efficiency for the job, mowers that would just fit between the stones, bat wings for open areas, self propelled trimmers etc.

We drive by this cemetery a few times a week as one of my employees lives two blocks from it, the company that mows it has two ZTR's and I have only ever seen two guys trimming and one walk behind, they do it in a day with five guys, it's 50 acres. Perhaps I should say in all the times I have driven buy I have never seen more than five guys working there unless they are doing the flower beds which are massive, I seem to recall I counted 8 workers in total. They were also using walk behind trimmers which cut a 20" path which I would think would save a lot of mowing time also.

http://www.oakridge-cemetery.ca/

CHEESE2009
02-21-2010, 08:17 AM
That is one massive area man.

That's 11,238,480 square feet of lawn to cut!

http://www.moviemobsters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/300-army.jpg

You'd need these guys ^

Steve
02-21-2010, 11:10 AM
I used to work for a lawn company and we mowed two cemetaries. One bigger than the other. Two man crew. One of us mowed while the other trimmed. On each we spent about the same amount of time trimming as we did mowing.

Do you know how big of an area this job was? Or how much they billed for it? How long the job took?

JP Landscaping
02-21-2010, 12:03 PM
I wish you luck with the estimate! If you do get it, you can make serious money just from that alone. At least 25 guys working for you just on that job full-time. That's at least 1000 billable hours weekly!

Lawnboy618
02-21-2010, 01:07 PM
thanks all and yea I stoo dont know on how many ppl and as far as pay for this it is set by the u.s. gov. min. pay is a little over 15 an hr and top is 20 an hr and supervisor is 24 an hr... i believe we came up with roughly 450k a yr in mark up profit and labor.... that would be a good start for a new company :D... but yea im still thinkin myself prolly 25 and 4 ppl mowing and the rest trimming...

Lawnboy618
02-21-2010, 01:16 PM
That is one massive area man.

That's 11,238,480 square feet of lawn to cut!

http://www.moviemobsters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/300-army.jpg

You'd need these guys ^

yea its retarded huge haha and yea itd be nice if they all had weed wackers in their hands!

Lawnboy618
02-21-2010, 01:17 PM
I guess I would almost have to see it to see how much open area there is, My ZTR has a 72" Deck however I can add Bat wings which is what a neighbour did as he has a few school contracts, I ran into him one morning out walking our dogs and asked what his ZTR will mow per hour with the wings as it's the same as we have except I do not have wings, he said his operator averages around 7 acres per hour however in your case the wings would probably not work for the headstone area.

I read a post a long time ago in another forum where the guy was doing a cemetery, he had bought the Dr. Trimmer which is self propelled, main reason here was efficiency in that the operator would not tire near as fast compared to a regular trimmer, this would increase the number of stones you could do per hour however I have no idea how many it would do but if they are lined up fairly well it would be a lot.

If you have to hire 25 to 50 people the operating costs are going to be very steep, Workers Comp, Pension and Unemployment Insurance here is a major thorn in my side and workers comp is tied not only to gross sales but also to the number of employees. That being said in a case like yours if I won the contract, I would have the equipment lined up that would offer the greatest efficiency for the job, mowers that would just fit between the stones, bat wings for open areas, self propelled trimmers etc.

We drive by this cemetery a few times a week as one of my employees lives two blocks from it, the company that mows it has two ZTR's and I have only ever seen two guys trimming and one walk behind, they do it in a day with five guys, it's 50 acres. Perhaps I should say in all the times I have driven buy I have never seen more than five guys working there unless they are doing the flower beds which are massive, I seem to recall I counted 8 workers in total. They were also using walk behind trimmers which cut a 20" path which I would think would save a lot of mowing time also.

http://www.oakridge-cemetery.ca/
im lookin into a bat wing didnt kno u could use one on a ztr

picframer
02-21-2010, 03:40 PM

If it were late spring or early summer and he had his out I would take a picture, it is something to see on a trailer with the wings up, if you have lots of space at this place it might be an idea for a tow unit as I know from asking the sales guy about his set up that they are available also.

mzlawncare
02-21-2010, 03:54 PM
How do you charge for mowing ,trimming and blowing and how much do you for those types of sevices ?

Lawnboy618
02-21-2010, 04:02 PM
If it were late spring or early summer and he had his out I would take a picture, it is something to see on a trailer with the wings up, if you have lots of space at this place it might be an idea for a tow unit as I know from asking the sales guy about his set up that they are available also.

can you let me kno where to get one or a price

Steve
02-22-2010, 08:31 AM

I couldn't find anything about that.

Lawnboy618
02-22-2010, 10:51 AM
I couldn't find anything about that.

me either ill have to see someone said a toro grandstand 48" would be ideal

Steve
02-23-2010, 10:12 AM
From what I have seen, all of them need a PTO connection. I don't remember seeing a ztr that has a power take off connection. But even some smaller tractors would have them and maybe they would be more ideal for this kind of work?

picframer
02-23-2010, 10:43 AM
I stopped by Deere this morning to talk to my contact, it isn't a ZTR that my neighbour has it's called a WAM (Wide Area Mower) when is neat is the mower is in front of you and has a trim line cutter which is hydraulic controlled on the left and right as an option, he said this would be ideal for your application and you can buy various widths from 4' to 12' wide in one pass. This would make a substantial difference in the number of employees required as only the sides would have to be cut manually or if you can fit between head stones then simply use the trimmer on the mower.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/series/fm_wam/wam/gc_wide_area_mowers.html

Lawnboy618
02-23-2010, 02:08 PM
I stopped by Deere this morning to talk to my contact, it isn't a ZTR that my neighbour has it's called a WAM (Wide Area Mower) when is neat is the mower is in front of you and has a trim line cutter which is hydraulic controlled on the left and right as an option, he said this would be ideal for your application and you can buy various widths from 4' to 12' wide in one pass. This would make a substantial difference in the number of employees required as only the sides would have to be cut manually or if you can fit between head stones then simply use the trimmer on the mower.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/series/fm_wam/wam/gc_wide_area_mowers.html

awesome.. thanks.. were lookin into something like that possibly a tractor with a front loader would be nice also never know when you can use that....

picframer
02-23-2010, 04:03 PM
awesome.. thanks.. were lookin into something like that possibly a tractor with a front loader would be nice also never know when you can use that....

I have the brochure, they are simply a CUT (Compact Utility Tractor) with the body on the opposite way, what does that mean to us? Full hydraulics and a PTO, these things even have snow blades.

Steve
02-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Keep us posted on how many man hours you come up with for this job and what equipment you decide to go with.

Lawnboy618
02-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Keep us posted on how many man hours you come up with for this job and what equipment you decide to go with.

i will.. if i get this we start the 15th so i should know if we get id say in a week or so...

Lawnboy618
02-25-2010, 09:58 AM
I have the brochure, they are simply a CUT (Compact Utility Tractor) with the body on the opposite way, what does that mean to us? Full hydraulics and a PTO, these things even have snow blades.

hmmm im going to look into it... i am gonna need sumthin asap

Steve
02-25-2010, 10:48 AM
How many man hours did you figure it would take you in your bid?