PDA

View Full Version : How do i charge for design Work

Yard Elements
02-20-2010, 07:54 PM
How do I charge for design work and what is the best way to go about it?

Should I draw it take phots use software. Thanks for the help. I am always on here asking questions and everybody is always helpful thanks alot.:D

ProCut TM
02-20-2010, 09:11 PM
I've never really charge for it, though it is probably not a bad idea.
hourly would be my best guess

picframer
02-20-2010, 09:14 PM
How do I charge for design work and what is the best way to go about it?

Should I draw it take photos use software. Thanks for the help. I am always on here asking questions and everybody is always helpful thanks alot.:D

Two questions, what are you designing and do you have experience with the software you will need to use?

I have two engineering students that work for me and they have designed walkways, retaining walls and flower gardens, I let them charge the client themselves as they did all the work coming up with the plan and for us it worked well. I believe they were charging around $25 or $30 an hour, they would take photo's, make notes based on their conversation with the client, do the design, meet with the client and make whatever changes were required, I would come in and price the job and we would get it done.

There were a couple of reasons I did it this way, my main goal was to give them some experience dealing directly with customers and using the skills they were learning at University although they did say quite a bit of online research was required but once they got going they did an excellent job, aside from that it sure looks good on their resume when they seek full time employment after graduation.

Yard Elements
02-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Basically I met a guy who has a nice trailer he doesn't want he wants me to design a landscape for him, and he will do it him self, or as much as he can. He doesn't need anything complicated. I usually don't charge for design work but I don't have a trailer and he wants to trade I just want to make sure both sides come out with what they want. I'm not an engineer, but I have a degree in Digital Arts, I have taken design classes. Any advice would be great.

picframer
02-20-2010, 10:03 PM
I like the barter system:)

Could you perhaps post an image or two of what it looks like and perhaps what the client has in mind?

Yard Elements
02-20-2010, 11:19 PM
I have another meeting with him soon, I will take pictures then, He said he wants. All he really told me so far is he wants to make it look like nature but landscaped and maintained. I am just wondering how to charge him it's a bit confusing should I just offer him a design with three meetings and changes or two. Normally if I design something I don't charge for it I should but they have always just had me do the work. He said the trailer is worth $450 to him. it's a 8x16 trailer in decent shape.

Just at a loss on how to handle this. I like the barter system too, it's helped me get up and going with little out of pocket expense.:)

Thanks!

Steve
02-21-2010, 10:40 AM
At times we see on here design work is free if the customer approves the construction. If they want to keep the design to shop around, then there is a fee for it.

He said the trailer is worth $450 to him. it's a 8x16 trailer in decent shape.

How much is the trailer worth to you? Divide that by how much you charge per hour. Then you can figure out how much time you should invest in this trade.

What do you think of that?

Yard Elements
02-21-2010, 12:08 PM
At times we see on here design work is free if the customer approves the construction. If they want to keep the design to shop around, then there is a fee for it.

How much is the trailer worth to you? Divide that by how much you charge per hour. Then you can figure out how much time you should invest in this trade.

What do you think of that?

Sounds about right I'm sure he wants a finished product. Would it be worth it for a simple design? I guess that kind of an open ended questions. It's not really any money out of pocket though. Just the gas to go up there and the time to design it.

What does everyone think?

Worth it?

Steve
02-22-2010, 08:16 AM
If you have the time, why not? Leverage your time now and get the equipment you need. In the future when you have less time available, leverage your money and buy what you need.

Keep us posted.