PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner associations help or hurt business?

Steve
06-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Do homeowner associations help or hurt business?

This is an amazing amount of growth. Homeowner associations around the country have grown from 6,000 in 1970 to 157,300 this year.

With HOAs everything seems to have to be perfect including landscaping. So do you feel they help or hurt business? Do you service a HOA in your are?

Would you or do you like to live in an HOA?

HOMEOWNER ASSOCIATION FACTS (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13393097/)

6,000: Number of deed-restricted, homeowner association communities in the United States in 1970

157,300: Number of homeowner association communities in the United States in 2006

30 million: Number of Americans living in a homeowner association community

24 million: Number of Americans living in another type of association-governed community (condominium or cooperative)

tiedeman
06-19-2006, 05:40 PM
I would personally love to service a HOA

Steve
06-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Are there many in your area or no?

tiedeman
06-19-2006, 10:12 PM
I would say maybe 2

kc2006
06-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Alot of people I talk to say to stay away from HOA because they're a big pain.

I put a bid in on one last year, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Like others told me, I was dealing with a bunch of different people making descisions and no one knew what the other was doing, and in some cases one person hated the other so if one liked me the other would hate me just to get back at the other person. :blush:

If I were to get one, I'd be pretty strict with contract, basicly like my commercial contract is, it outlines every possible thing I could think of.

The other thing guys complained about is the fact that your working for 50 different people and you can get alot of complaints. Well, the way I look at it you are basicly servicing XX amount of clients just all in one and with much smaller yards. What I would do if I signed up one (and this would work better with smaller HOA's) is go around and introduce myself. When I put the bid in on the HOA last year I ran into a couple people and all of them complained that they had no clue who was servicing the place and they didn't like that, the guy would actually avoid the residents! I think if you introduce yourself, people feel like they're getting a moer personalized service, thus they're happier=less complaints.

Steve
06-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Quote[/b] ]The other thing guys complained about is the fact that your working for 50 different people and you can get alot of complaints.

Very good point.

tiedeman
06-22-2006, 02:31 PM
That is true. That is why I never put in a bid for the local cemetary

Steve
06-23-2006, 12:38 AM
I can't even imagine servicing a cemetery that has got to be really tough.

kc2006
06-26-2006, 11:18 PM
I'd bid on a cemetary if I had an employee to trim. I used to do 3 different cemetaries and they were great. For one, no one is ever around to bother you and most cemetaries are pretty strict on flowers and all that so you don't have to mess with alot of things. As long as you have a good contract up front that shows everything to be done, your good to go. The one cemetary we did was only picky about memorial day and 4th of july. They wanted every stone blown off really well and everything had to be trimmed very neatly too.

But I probably wouldn't take one on unless I had someone else to trim, I used to hate trimming at them for the first few months that I worked for the other company, when I stepped up to mowing I loved the places.