PDA

View Full Version : Any body ever remove concrete

Yard Elements
02-17-2010, 06:09 PM
I have a slab that's about 315 square feet and slops at an angle from 4 in deep to about twelve, it has re-bar in it. I need to give a quote tomorrow. Long long should this job take.

I was thinking a jack hammer, there 140.00 A Day Here if I pick it up.
Plus debris disposal?

Thanks in advance

picframer
02-17-2010, 06:25 PM
I have a slab that's about 315 square feet and slops at an angle from 4 in deep to about twelve, it has re-bar in it. I need to give a quote tomorrow. Long long should this job take.

I was thinking a jack hammer, there 140.00 A Day Here if I pick it up.
Plus debris disposal?

Thanks in advance

You will be there forever bud, I have done a few, we rented a concrete saw and cut the concrete into sections then I brought by excavator in with a thumb, in my case is was 6 to 8" thick, it went well.

The idea unit would be an excavator with a breaker attached to the boom, you would be done in no time, I woun't run a breaker on mine as it destroyes the knuckles pretty quick.

Yard Elements
02-18-2010, 12:26 AM
I don't have access to any heavy equipment, should I try an concrete saw, and a jack or sledge hammer to break it up?

Any one got any ideas with out the heavy equipment?

picframer
02-18-2010, 05:12 AM
I don't have access to any heavy equipment, should I try an concrete saw, and a jack or sledge hammer to break it up?

Any one got any ideas with out the heavy equipment?

Cutting it and then a Jack Hammer will probably do it, I say probably as I have never broken concrete that thick, it's going to be desperate heavy and I am not sure how you will deal with the re-bar in the concrete as that stuff really holds the concrete together.

Steve
02-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Due to the thickness of the concrete, could you leave it as an open bid per day and they could stop you at anytime?

Yard Elements
02-19-2010, 01:38 PM
I think I am going to do that and work out a time and materials bid. Figure an hourly rate that is okay. And bill hime for the supplies. He wants me to use a jack hammer, I was thinking concrete saw then jack hammer the pieces or just smash them with a sledge hard work but I'm in pretty good shape .

ProCut TM
02-19-2010, 01:48 PM
you are going to be sorry you took the job with out heavy equipment.
I've done a few sidewalks and won't mess with it again. unless it is for my personal home.

picframer
02-19-2010, 04:47 PM
you are going to be sorry you took the job with out heavy equipment.
I've done a few sidewalks and won't mess with it again. unless it is for my personal home.

I agree 100%, we have the gear to do it and it is still one heck of a hard job and I don't recall we have ever done concrete where there was rebar in it. I have done 8" concrete walls and 4" sidewalks/patio's that were around 6" and man oh man they are a lot of work. Last job we did I simply included in my quote an excavator with a breaker, had him come in for three hours and brake things up then we simply used an excavator and loader to move the broken pieces into a truck. 12" concrete is going to be next to impossible for a jackhammer.

CHEESE2009
02-19-2010, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't touch this job.

That's WORK man, painful & dangerous work.

You need to hire the hulk.

How many trips would you have to make to dispose of the concrete?

Do you plan on doing this alone?:eek:

Take pics!

Yard Elements
02-20-2010, 12:23 PM
It all worked out. The guy wanted work on the cheap, he chuckled at my quote and said too much but thanks.

I'm glad. Thanks for the help!:D

Yard Elements
02-20-2010, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't touch this job.

That's WORK man, painful & dangerous work.

You need to hire the hulk.

How many trips would you have to make to dispose of the concrete?

Do you plan on doing this alone?:eek:

Take pics!

Your right I am just a work wh*re.

picframer
02-20-2010, 02:56 PM
It all worked out. The guy wanted work on the cheap, he chuckled at my quote and said too much but thanks.

I'm glad. Thanks for the help!:D

I was thinking what we would charge, just curious, a braker would take two hours as that is their min so that is $450.00, It would take us 3 hours to load so that is $270.00, to have it hauled away is $180.00, if they want it super clean then add $150.00 so in total around $910.00 to $1,000.