PDA

View Full Version : How to charge for aerator

Yard Elements
02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I have to rent the aerator. How much does every one else charge for aeration.

Per Square Foot?

picframer
02-16-2010, 08:13 PM
I have to rent the aerator. How much does every one else charge for aeration.

Per Square Foot?

Since you have to rent an aerator have a read of this product:

http://www.natureslawn.com/aerify.php

We sold our core aerators last year as I found it to only be a patch for the problem whereas Aerify will fix the compacted soil.

Last year we sprayed 169 properties with this product and the results are pretty amazing, I have even sprayed properties that had serious drainage issues and clients are reporting that this issue for the most part is gone, some take up to four sprays in the first year if the clay content is really high, some only two then we spray in the spring only.

psparaco
02-16-2010, 09:56 PM
ya know I was going to do the whole aeration deal with fertilizing and overseeding and after much research i have to agree with picframer. natureslawn is an awesome deal. you do not from what i read on here need a license to apply it which does away with conventional fertilizing. you can mix all their products together and apply them together, thus taking care of the aeration, fertilizing and so forth. I will be looking into it but as for selling the product to my customers who are mostly renters who dont care what their lawn looks like as long as its cut and they dont get a fine from the landlord, will be extremely hard. I havent figured out how to sell this service and even more so. how much to charge. i am still doing research on it. lucky me, we still have over 2-3 feet of snow on the ground from the historic snowstorm we got 2 weeks ago. so do not expect to need to worry about lawn care for another 4-8 weeks, which allows me that much more time to research research research.

MikeO
02-16-2010, 10:28 PM
I rented a few times in my area an aerator and it cost me 50 for 3 hours or you can rent it for the day at 120. so even if you lined up 10 in one day its well paid for. But, if you go the other way then you dont have to worry about it. :D

Yard Elements
02-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks but what should I charge for the aeration I have to bid on soon. I'm not sure she'll for for the other, I'll try but I'm not sure what to charge like always I guess I just need to know how long it takes me do do a square foot?

How long does it take for a square foot or 10 square feet? or whatever! I'm new to lawn care, sorry about all the questions everyone here is a huge help thanks!

MikeO
02-17-2010, 04:52 AM
I just looked at my slip...

65.00 for 2 hours plus gas. It took me a little over an hour 2,000 square foot lawn and I charged her 165. So I made 90. my gas time, unloaded, did the job, reloaded, drove back and unloaded again. Maybe you can charge more I don't know. Thats what I did. Thats a big lawn with 2 boulevards. I could have charged more I know that but, I just didn't care. It was a Sunday and near winter and it was getting cold. Do you have a trailer? If not I know he said it was $15, I remember that. So you have to add that in if you don't.
These are my prices for the area on renting.

Yard Elements
02-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks that should help me out! I will use the 2,000 square foot an hour to get a base!

Steve
02-18-2010, 07:46 AM
We sold our core aerators last year as I found it to only be a patch for the problem whereas Aerify will fix the compacted soil.

Can you tell us why that is the case? How is it that it only is a patch for the problem?

picframer
02-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Can you tell us why that is the case? How is it that it only is a patch for the problem?

There are a few reasons, number 1 is it's rare we find the perfect flat lawn, at least around here so your cores may only get 1" deep in places, you need to get down a good 4". It's only a patch as the clay in the soil will still be there when you are finished, granted you have opened up a few passage ways for the roots to get what they need, Aerify goes at this a different way in that it brakes down the clay in the soil as well as compaction.

Core aeration is very time consuming, hard work and expensive to buy the equipment that is used once a year, spraying allows us to apply as many times as we need to at a fraction of the equipment cost.

Steve
02-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Core aeration is very time consuming, hard work and expensive to buy the equipment that is used once a year, spraying allows us to apply as many times as we need to at a fraction of the equipment cost.

How many times a year can you spray that product to aerate and is it helpful to spray it more than once? Do you fin there are times where you won't spray the entire lawn, just a section that needs help?

picframer
02-19-2010, 09:18 AM
How many times a year can you spray that product to aerate and is it helpful to spray it more than once? Do you fin there are times where you won't spray the entire lawn, just a section that needs help?

In a severe case once a month until we agree there is a change, with Organic products it is not possible to put to much of anything we use on a lawn that would result in damage, another reason I love these products.

No, we spray the entire lawn, last thing I want is a client calling saying my lawn took off where you sprayed however it is now patchy as the other sections are not growing as fast and after 5 days it looks terrible, spraying everything leads to a balance.

Andrew7dg
02-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Since you have to rent an aerator have a read of this product:

Last year we sprayed 169 properties with this product and the results are pretty amazing, I have even sprayed properties that had serious drainage issues and clients are reporting that this issue for the most part is gone, some take up to four sprays in the first year if the clay content is really high, some only two then we spray in the spring only.

... I don't quite understand how this product works. We are talking about Chemical vs Physical (chemical being this product vs Physical being the actual aeration of the ground)...
This product sounds kind of fishy to me...
Have you ever done a test to see if it actually does uncompact the soil?

picframer
02-19-2010, 11:26 AM
... I don't quite understand how this product works. We are talking about Chemical vs Physical (chemical being this product vs Physical being the actual aeration of the ground)...
This product sounds kind of fishy to me...
Have you ever done a test to see if it actually does uncompact the soil?

Yes my own lawn first then 169 clients, not one complaint just positive feedback, Natures Lawn Care is also a lawn care business in NY, they spray over 2,500 customers. In any event I researched this to death before I selected a product and it works very well.

cmpenn67
09-09-2010, 02:13 PM
I know this is an old thread...but pic...what do you charge per application or per package and what does it consist of? and to how did you promote it...Did you use a flyer or anything do you have something that I could look at?

dirtywork
01-30-2011, 11:06 PM
I know this is an old thread...but pic...what do you charge per application or per package and what does it consist of? and to how did you promote it...Did you use a flyer or anything do you have something that I could look at?

Bringing up an old thread again. I'd like to know how you promote this Liquid Aeration Services, prices, flyer templates, etc. Before and After pictures.

Will the lawn benefit physical aeration and liquid aeration right after? :confused:

Thanks! :)

stanleyjd
01-31-2011, 03:14 AM
i charge $189 for aeration alone. aeration seeding and fertilization $375 for average size homes. additional charge for low mowing if customers not under contract

Steve
02-01-2011, 04:57 AM
Bringing up an old thread again. I'd like to know how you promote this Liquid Aeration Services, prices, flyer templates, etc. Before and After pictures.

Will the lawn benefit physical aeration and liquid aeration right after?

I would think taking some before and after pics would be a great way to market this service.

I haven't heard of anyone using both a physical aeration and then a liquid aeration. You might want to experiment with that on your own property first. It may not yield you the results you are looking for with the additional time needed.

additional charge for low mowing if customers not under contract

When do you utilize this service? What would be the benefit of it?

kevin_naecker
02-01-2011, 10:48 AM
This product you all are talking about has really got my wheels turning i would like to know more.what are you using as a sprayer and are you also doing aplications of fert with this? what fertilizer are you useing. i am from maryland we only aerate in the fall typicly september. does this product really work all year long?

wellbiz
02-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Yes my own lawn first then 169 clients, not one complaint just positive feedback, Natures Lawn Care is also a lawn care business in NY, they spray over 2,500 customers. In any event I researched this to death before I selected a product and it works very well.

I have heard alot of guys on this forum swear by this product. Anyone know if you need to have an applicators license to apply it?

Jay

stanleyjd
02-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I would think taking some before and after pics would be a great way to market this service.

I haven't heard of anyone using both a physical aeration and then a liquid aeration. You might want to experiment with that on your own property first. It may not yield you the results you are looking for with the additional time needed.

When do you utilize this service? What would be the benefit of it?

mowing low when aerating fertilizing and seeding because the lawn will not be mowed for about a month usually with the new seed. if not mowed low the city here would cite you because the lawn would be too high before your first mow. then i also get people that want ask to aerate when they dont even mow regularly and they lawn is high already. it is really for customers not under contract i havent charged to many, most are usually contract customers that are looking for the additional service which means the lawns already maintained

Steve
02-02-2011, 07:12 AM
I have heard alot of guys on this forum swear by this product. Anyone know if you need to have an applicators license to apply it?

I would think this differs from state to state but from what I have seen on the forum so far, it doesn't look like anyone has needed one yet.

wellbiz
02-02-2011, 05:04 PM
I would think this differs from state to state but from what I have seen on the forum so far, it doesn't look like anyone has needed one yet.

Thanks Steve,

I guess I need to make a call to the state licensing board...

Steve
02-03-2011, 04:16 AM
Let us know what you find out.

Andrew7dg
02-04-2011, 08:08 AM

Wow back from the dead.

I am a student from the University of Minnesota. I was curious about this product and took it to one of my professors to have a look at it. The person that I took it to is head of the Master Gardener program of Minnesota. From there she forward it to the professor in charge of one of the turf programs Brian Horgan. This is what was replied to me

No. this stuff makes someone a million but does nothing to a compacted soil. Often times they contain N or Fe so there is a percieved response. if a product were to change the density of a soil, you would have to affect the amount of soil found in a given volume. Basically, you would have to apply something that dissolves the soil/organic matter which could impact then bulk density.

I am big in honesty in my business. I wouldn't sell a product that I claim would aerify soil when it couldn't

Steve
02-05-2011, 05:44 AM
No. this stuff makes someone a million but does nothing to a compacted soil. Often times they contain N or Fe so there is a percieved response. if a product were to change the density of a soil, you would have to affect the amount of soil found in a given volume. Basically, you would have to apply something that dissolves the soil/organic matter which could impact then bulk density.

Can you give us a little more insight into this. How does such a product that contains N or Fe create a perceived response?

Also what is your view then on the best way to aerate a lawn and how important is aeration?