PDA

View Full Version : Not offering weed pulling

adamsmowing88
02-16-2010, 03:44 PM
I am starting out with mowing, trimming, blowing, and edging. Then throw in pressure washing later on. I don't like pulling weeds and do not plan on throwing that in to my services. How do most customers react when the lawn boy does not pull weeds. Have you guys ever lost a customer based on because you refused to pull weeds or will they just simply hire someone, like a landscaper to do it?

picframer
02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
I am starting out with mowing, trimming, blowing, and edging. Then throw in pressure washing later on. I don't like pulling weeds and do not plan on throwing that in to my services. How do most customers react when the lawn boy does not pull weeds. Have you guys ever lost a customer based on because you refused to pull weeds or will they just simply hire someone, like a landscaper to do it?

The problem with weeds is even many landscapers do not know the difference between some plant the client or previous homeowner found and a weed, what we do is simply tell the client we are not plant spe******ts however we have access to a Horticulturist that will come in and identify everything for you the client and a staff supervisor and give you a plan of action, give them her number and leave it at that. Failing which we will not weed a garden. we will remove dandelions from a lawn however which is charged by the hour.

ProCut TM
02-16-2010, 05:49 PM
I round up and string trim
I do not pull weeds
this has only cost me a 2 accounts in the last 2 seasons
I never had a problem before

Yard Elements
02-16-2010, 08:02 PM
I pull weeds no problem. I string trim them too. Don't you have to get a certification to commercially spray round up?

I figure if someone needs grounds keeping services and I won't do it someone else will and they'll probably mow the lawn too. I actually got 2 accounts because there lawn guys wouldn't pull weeds or couldn't trim there fruit trees properly. I do have a hard time pricing weed management when I give quotes for regular service. i don't like giving "Estimates", or charging by the hour. I never tell clients what I charge by the hour.

I have never pulled a plant out that wasn't a weed.

How does everyone else price weed management?:confused:

ProCut TM
02-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Don't you have to get a certification to commercially spray round up?

yes I believe you do, I need to look into it. I hope I'll just get a warning the first time, if I get caught. I need to find out about getting the cert, I was thinking about offering pool service too, and I know there is a chem cert for that as well.

XtreemGreen
02-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Yes you need to be certified to spray.. I asked a Scotts turf guy a few years ago and he said if they want, they can find you $1200.00 for the first offense...I been spraying round up for many years and no one has ever said anything..
Yes I pull weeds as well...Thats part of my Complete Service..

picframer
02-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Yes you need to be certified to spray.. I asked a Scotts turf guy a few years ago and he said if they want, they can find you $1200.00 for the first offense...I been spraying round up for many years and no one has ever said anything..

In our city not only would they throw the book at you in fines, you can't even get certified, in fact the only way to get a product like round up is to order it online and you are taking a serious risk spraying it, even homeowners are not allowed.

One new client early in the year last year applied it to his lawn, his place was right on the ocean, a neigbour reported him and I forget now how much the fines were but it was staggering.

ProCut TM
02-16-2010, 10:35 PM
in fact the only way to get a product like round up is to order it online

the local home depot sells pro-strength no biggie

Yard Elements
02-16-2010, 11:29 PM

How to you figure year round weed management Prices? Since the weeds just pop up out of no where? Thanks!

jasonw
02-18-2010, 10:31 AM

I don't necessarily pull them but most of the time just spray them with round up, next visit I may rake them and hit them with the mower to clean them up, easy to do once they are dead. I will pull them however if the client requests it. Put it this way. I have a contractor who I have been employing nearly weekly for a year and a half now doing renovations fixing and changing this and that in my house, if he didn't do sheet rock or didn't do water leaks he would be down the road. When I hire someone to fix my house I want him to fix my house not just fix part of it. This is just my opinion but it goes the same with lawn care, If I had a lawn care guy that would not pull weeds I would find someone that did.

psparaco
02-18-2010, 05:51 PM
I pull weeds for nominal fee depending on the size of the flower bed. Normally its only twice a month and its an additional fee. usually half what the lawn maintence fee is since i have to spend extra time there weeding out their garden. My prices vary from how big the garden and flower beds are, how many non weeds are in it. the more packed a garden the more careful( more time needed to be there) i have to be that i do not distrupt the ecosystem of the garden. Sure pulling weeds is a pain in a butt. round up can work but it could damage the surrounding plants to some degree. If pull the weed out, roots and all. bye bye problem. but the suckers still come back. But overall i dont mind. its all apart of landscaping. We take care of everything that grows on the exterior of your home and its overall appearance. If it does not belong there. we remove it. If it grows too long we give it a cut. if its dirty we clean it. So mowing, trimming, edging, cleanup, bush/hedge trimming, power washing, etc. Overall its curb appeal. the better your place looks. the higher the value it will be. Just ask any real estate agent.

well thats my 2 cents.

paul

Steve
02-19-2010, 08:37 AM
I pull weeds for nominal fee depending on the size of the flower bed. Normally its only twice a month and its an additional fee. usually half what the lawn maintence fee is since i have to spend extra time there weeding out their garden.

Do you consider this an upsell? How do you go about selling this additional service? Do you point it out to the customer and ask if they would like the weeds removed from a certain area? Do you figure the charge before hand and how do you go about this or do you wait until you are done to see how long it took?

Andrew7dg
02-19-2010, 10:48 AM
I am going to put in my first input here on gopherforum

It all depends on the client doesn't it?
First I am a little confused if you mean in the lawns or in the beds.

There has been a yard or two where they wanted it PERFECT! in which case if I spotted one from the mower I would stop for a second and use the weed puller and pull it out. Thats no big deal. We charge a little extra for that

If a yard needs herbicide, well I call in someone else then that has more experience in that field.

Now if it is in the bed, thats a gardeners work IMO

When I first go to a client that wants gardening work done, I first do what is called a "Clean out" this may take a half a day (minimum I am willing to charge) to one that took one full week! I do this before I do any design work! this gives me a clear idea of what the beds look like. Usually this is when weeds are at their worst.

The client after this "Clean Out" gets excited and ambitious (which the checkbook opens a little more it seems) then the design and installation happens etc ect

BUT back to the regular gardening clients. I have some clients that i go to their place and pull weeds, take care of plants on a weekly schedule like you would mow their lawns on a weekly schedule. Thats what a Gardener does.

So Looking at the client and their landscape judge if they need a gardener or just a weed puller. Charge weekly weed pulling/spraying like you would for your lawn service.

Hopefully that was helpful in some way...

BTW i figure out how long it will take me and charge like that but I don't like to tell the home owner what the hourly $ is because there are going to be weeks where there isn't much to do and then there are weeks where there are a lot of weeds. It looks overwhelming at first but just brake down the areas into smaller "zones" and figure out how long each zone will take. Maybe they only want weed control in the front yard?

picframer
02-19-2010, 11:37 AM
It all depends on the client doesn't it?

Now if it is in the bed, thats a gardeners work IMO

I think you nailed it, we have clients with flower beds that are worth thousands of dollars and they have plants that look like weeds, weeds that look like plants, we call in a professional to tell us what we are looking at.

The professional we use also looks after all the gardens in the City, she has around 130 clients on the side, she told me even the biggest companies here do not know what they are going when they get into a flower bed to weed, personally the last thing I want is to be sued to replace what looked like a weed but was an exotic plant. I personally see nothing wrong with bringing in a professional, there are many things that we are all experts at, at the same time the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind in some cases where we might try to be everything.

Yard Elements
02-19-2010, 03:04 PM
I pull weeds for nominal fee depending on the size of the flower bed. Normally its only twice a month and its an additional fee. usually half what the lawn maintence fee is since i have to spend extra time there weeding out their garden. My prices vary from how big the garden and flower beds are, how many non weeds are in it. the more packed a garden the more careful( more time needed to be there) i have to be that i do not distrupt the ecosystem of the garden. Sure pulling weeds is a pain in a butt. round up can work but it could damage the surrounding plants to some degree. If pull the weed out, roots and all. bye bye problem. but the suckers still come back. But overall i dont mind. its all apart of landscaping. We take care of everything that grows on the exterior of your home and its overall appearance. If it does not belong there. we remove it. If it grows too long we give it a cut. if its dirty we clean it. So mowing, trimming, edging, cleanup, bush/hedge trimming, power washing, etc. Overall its curb appeal. the better your place looks. the higher the value it will be. Just ask any real estate agent.

well thats my 2 cents.

paul

How do you figure from square feet? I am curious I always have a hard time giving quotes. I understand looking at the existing weeds but there's no telling how many weeds will come back and where. Is there a paticular formula you use or do you just guestimate? Thanks!:confused:

psparaco
02-19-2010, 09:10 PM
How do you figure from square feet? I am curious I always have a hard time giving quotes. I understand looking at the existing weeds but there's no telling how many weeds will come back and where. Is there a paticular formula you use or do you just guestimate? Thanks!:confused:

Actually i dont base it off square foot. I should but i dont. I dont offer or advertise the service. If they ask. i then tell them sure i can do that for a nominal fee. I check out the garden and make a guesstimate on how long i would take. and thats about it. since i mainly service townhouses. the front gardens are no larger then 4 foot wide by 8 foot long. and same goes for the rear. if its jammed packed with weeds. i up the rate. its a flat fee and it normally takes me 30-45 min to weed out the garden the first time. then after that each bi monthly time i am spend half that time and still charge the same rate.

i know alot of you say oh but how do you know what a weed is and what isnt. common sense really. i frequent nursuries and homedepot checking out flowers for my fiance to grow and if it looks like something that isnt a flower. i ask them. hey is this something ur growing. if it isnt. it wil be pulled. its always better to ask them verses guessing like so many here say oh i pulled the wrong thing and it cost me money to replace it. ask the customer as you give them the walk thru and quote. afterall its their garden not yours. but i rarely charge more then $10.00 for each 4' x 8' garden. It all depends on what the customer's end goal is.