PDA

View Full Version : Epsom Salt reducing weeds

TouchtonsCLC
02-16-2010, 03:37 PM
I had a local guy that works for a large local commercial outfit tell me that applying epsom salt to your lawn would reduce weeds in a lawn. He said that they would get the epsom salts wet and then let it dry and break up the big clumps into a more granular size and then apply with a granular spreader. Has anyone else heard of this? Thanks.

picframer
02-16-2010, 05:00 PM
I would use it on a sidewalk or brick walkway but stay away from any flower bed as it will kill plants, also stay away from any well that the customer may have and I mean at least 50 feet as it could ruin their drinking water but yes it will work mixed with warm water.

TouchtonsCLC
02-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Any thoughts on the increased salinity impacting growing conditions for the existing turf? Will it impact highly organic soils? etc.

picframer
02-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Any thoughts on the increased salinity impacting growing conditions for the existing turf? Will it impact highly organic soils? etc.

In my experience any kind of salt that I have seen kills turf, I would like for an alternative if the area you are doing is anywhere near turf.