PDA

View Full Version : Changed Business Plan

CHEESE2009
02-16-2010, 04:32 AM
I'm really happy with my business plan, though I'm at a stall.

In order to grow I need to hire a full time employee for lawn maintenance.

I can't take on any more work as it is to afford one, unless I sacrifice the business's equipment replacement costs, office supplies (marketing material).

The reason I want to grow is so I can pay myself more, though I can't grow without a full time assistant.

Maybe that is my problem, I'm currently paying myself too much?

With my budget now, I can currently afford an employee for $2,500.00, which is only going to give him/her 250 hours. Two months & a day of work.

That's only decent if the person is an assistant who helps me do my route every now & then.

Though I can't hire a person who can only work 250 hours, & expect my company to grow.

I need to be able to afford an employee who can work 7,200 hours, but there is no budget for that unless I sacrifice many things. If I had good luck with my equipment, I wouldn't mind.

What I see now is, I have to double my customer base before I get to hire someone! Which sounds obviously silly, though you know what I mean. There is no middle ground, It's either not worth hiring an employee or it's a desperate situation where you really have to. Part timers never stick around.

Somewhat of a solution:

If I take on new customers, I could pack my Monday & Tuesday customers together in one day, & have this 250 hour worker give me a hand on those days. Then I have an entire day left over that I could add customers to.

Though it will only work if we are both efficient.

Downside: I have to do the math to figure out if 1 or two extra days of "hard earned" work enable me to keep this employee for the later months after his hours are depleted, if I can extend the 250 hours, & maybe even get him working 5 days a week to being my foreman in 2011. What a slow tedious process.

It just sounds crappy. I have to do double the work, just to hire an employee. Most of the customers I receive, their money will probably go straight to paying off my employees hours, that's my fear. Is it really worth it. Something is wrong.

I can't raise my prices unfortunately, I'm at the point where I'd have to drop a low paying client for a higher paying client, which will just bite me in the arse in due time, when I try to offer my services back to them. I hate burning bridges.

The best solution I can come up with:

Go through another season alone, gain triple of every piece of equipment, then I can stop investing in new equipment/repairs & put the money towards hiring an employee.

When the company grows & I can sustain the employee, the 'leftover' profits can be put back into new equipment/repairs. Smooth sailing.

Con: Patience.

(This is what I do at 4:30AM)