PDA

View Full Version : It has begun

CHEESE2009
02-15-2010, 07:59 PM
I saw an ad for lawn maintenance the other day, & threw it in the trash.

I was saying goodbye to a friend at a bus stop, & I saw the ad taped to the bus shelter.

This is what Montreal bus shelters look like.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4279317641_f1fa732af4.jpg

I thought about all the reasons why I never posted my ads up there.

1. People who take the bus are either trying to save money, aren't making money, or just find it convenient (last one is mostly b.s).

2. I'm not even sure if it's legal to post advertisements in bus shelters.

Anyway, I made sure to take the number down so I could do a reverse search on it.

The advertisement had no name on it, just a list of offered services.

Unfortunately, I am unable to figure out where this guy is working from & who (s)he is.

Considering the ad was pure crap, & posted in a bus shelter. I figure that it's probably some kid starting out, who is not far from where I actually live.

If I were to take the bus, this bus stop would be the one I'd be taking, just so you know. Very close to home.

I have checked all the other near by bus shelters & no other advertisements have been put up.

Was it wrong for me to take down someones ad? Of course, but too damn bad for them.

Anyway, the number is a cell phone number for sure. If he had any online ads I would have found them by now. So I assume this is just the beginning of what is to come.

ProCut TM
02-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Keep in mind there is plenty of grass for all of us.

I was told something a long time ago and it has stuck with me.

"You can't climb your own ladder, if you are too busy knocking someone else off of theirs"

Now on the other hand, if you find a flyer at one of your customer's homes or business, by all means dispose of it. :D

Steve
02-16-2010, 06:54 AM
This is a very fascinating topic to bring up.

It does make you wonder in which way your energy is being focused.

What is the chance any of your current customers seeing that flyer and switching to them from you? I'd say it was 0% chance.

If you are providing your customer with the service they want and need they won't bother switching no matter how many ads they see because they will be comfortable with you.

Should we be focused on being on the offensive when it comes to business and marketing or should we be focused on the defensive?

It makes me think of a quote from General George Patton “Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity.”

Do you have any thoughts on this since it all happened?

turfmaster
02-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Human nature is to take the competitors sign or flyer however I don't think it's right. I didn't start thinking this way until a few years back when I caught a competitor as I was driving by taking my sign down and replacing it with his at a intersection.

picframer
02-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Human nature is to take the competitors sign or flyer however I don't think it's right. I didn't start thinking this way until a few years back when I caught a competitor as I was driving by taking my sign down and replacing it with his at a intersection.

I agree, doesn't matter to me if the competition were to place their ad by mine however I would not take their down unless it was on a clients property but the guys around here treat each other pretty civil, last year we even had coffee or lunch with the competition and talk some war stories etc. I tend to see this more in the lawn care than our tree and excavation side, the excavation guys for the most part stick to themselves.