PDA

View Full Version : I am not tring to lowball, I have little overhead

Leon
02-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Hello, just wanted to get some thoughts on these postcards, and referrals handouts. Before you all jump on me about the low prices of townhomes, I have to say the goal is to get about 10 plus in the same area. I don't have any over head I own all my stuff, however I do plan to get a trailer and a bigger mower. As of now I have a cargo van so loading/unloading is really fast. I can do a townhouse in about 10-15 mins total. What do you think about the marketing info above. I am going to have 5-10,000 postcard full color front/back printed this will cost me around $280. My goal for townhomes is 300 customer for a total of $15,000. Any advice

psparaco
02-14-2010, 09:48 PM
did you forget to attach ur postcard? i am not sure what your asking.

Steve
02-15-2010, 06:58 AM
When you make a post, scroll down a bit below where you type and there is a button that says manage attachments.

Click on that and it will allow you to attach files to your post.

cklandscapingorlando
02-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Owning or not you still have the same overhead. You have to fix them, replace them, fuel, tax, ins both on te truck and the comp, buis lisc, workers comp, and on and on. You only want 15,000 for 300 homes? Man that should be bringing in 200,000-300,000 easy.

Leon
02-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Here are some of my marketing items, Will I do want to make more. This is just a 3month special. Once I have a good relationship with the customer I will upsale them. I you guys think this is just to crazy please let me know. but to be honest I can live on $12,000plus per month.

ProCut TM
02-15-2010, 10:32 PM
I have never had anyone bite on a gimmicky flyer or referral bird dog credit.

has anyone had luck with this type of marketing?

Leon
02-15-2010, 11:01 PM
is your question in response to my marketing info? (Lawn Bucks)

ProCut TM
02-15-2010, 11:19 PM
yes the lawn bucks is a referral fee/credit/cash/bird-dog many names for it.
has it worked for you? I find most of my customers are not looking for a hand out they are happy to help me. someone with integrity is not going to refer you unless you provide quality work regardless of money involved.

edit: I'm not saying don't try it I just want to know if it has worked for anyone.

Leon
02-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Well, this will be my 1st season handing them out, so time will tell. However in these time $20 bucks off a bill is not a bad deal. Just say if you were a customer and you were going to refer me anyway but you got sidetracked, if i give you a $20 bill/lawn bucks. You would most likely get on the phone or put the lawn bucks somewhere where you find easy so did't forget. It's not proven but hey why not. Also if I am i a garden center and I see you shopping for lawn item, and I walked up to you and handed you the lawn buck it would start a convo right there. if anything it is a great ice breaker good for estimates also. Thanks for the feedback so what do you think about the postcards?

Can You Envision The Possibilities...We Can!

ProCut TM
02-15-2010, 11:57 PM
the post cards look nice they might be a touch busy though
I've found the simple works best.

how long have you been in business?

Leon
02-16-2010, 02:08 AM
I started when I was about 14-15 cutting around the way. I stopped, got a "real" job/jobs. I came back into it afew years later, stoped got a "real" job LOL. Then I got hired a A well known univ in DC as a landscape gardener spent some years there left when to a different line of work. I keep finding myself comming back the green indy. So to awnser you question about 19years off and on in the green indy. In business this will be my 1st full season. I started last june and have about 45 clients/friends.

picframer
02-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Nice cards and should get the attention of the home owner, my only feedback is I don't know how on earth you can do a lawn for $12.50 and make money at it. I understand they are small and perhaps you will get a pile of them in a row however it would seem based on your numbers you will have to hire someone to help you, my experience is hired help doesn't always do things as fast as you may.

Anyhow I assume you know your costs, just seems desperate low to me.

Steve
02-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Then I got hired a A well known univ in DC as a landscape gardener spent some years there left when to a different line of work.

What kinds of marketing did you find this company did when you worked with them? Were you able to pick up any business lessons from them along the way?

ProCut TM
02-16-2010, 08:18 AM
I started last june and have about 45 clients/friends.

What kind of marketing did you do to grow so fast? 45 new customer since June, makes me think you could definitely go up on your price. If you win every bid you might be pricing too cheap. I would bump it to at least $15

cklandscapingorlando
02-16-2010, 08:21 AM
I like the lawn bucks idea. But you could do the same thing with a referal offer on every invoice and save some money. Plus they will get it every month. If you not bidding on the whole place at once then 12.50 is not enough. I would'nt drop my gate for less than 20. Looks good though

ProCut TM
02-16-2010, 08:30 AM
I would'nt drop my gate for less than 20.

+1

my minimum is $25 on a single cut, I will do $20 if I have some extra time or it is for and existing customer with an extra property. I try to steer clear of per cuts, I like monthly contracts that way I know what I'm going to be making.

That being said if you can talk to the HOA and get them all at once that would be ideal.

MikeO
02-16-2010, 11:24 PM
I really enjoyed looking at those cards. Seems to me you really took the time to think this thru? I like the 20 bucks, I really like that because if you do plan on upselling those would come in very handy for you. How many do you plan on putting out?

Leon
02-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Marketing, I just make eye catching flyers, postcards. I get a lot of word of mouth also. I work for a big cable company now so I see a lot of home and talk to people every. I install cable so when I get a job most of the people are just moving in so they have no one doing their lawn. i keep alot of postcards in my cable truck. I even have roadside sign so when I go to a area that looks promising I put the signs up. My goal is to get a HOA contract, what better way to get one if you have 20-30 home owners looking out for you.
I hand the lawn buck out personally, I rather do that because, if I send you something in the mail with a bill chances are you will by past the refferal card/note. Now if I hand it to you, you will read it and most likely fill it out right there and hand it back to me. I plan to put about 200 or so.

Can You Envision The Possibilities...We Can!