PDA

View Full Version : New this year

ndereski
02-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Nick and starting new this year in Michigan. Im teaming up with a guy who has been in lawn care for about 4 years but never took it to the next level, So he and I are looking forward in learning from each other and trying to expand the business. Looking forward to learning from others on here also.

Steve
02-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Im teaming up with a guy who has been in lawn care for about 4 years but never took it to the next level, So he and I are looking forward in learning from each other and trying to expand the business. Looking forward to learning from others on here also.

Hi Nick,

Welcome to our forum!

What made you decide to go into it with a friend of yours? Also when you say he was never able to take it to the next level, what do you feel that level is? And what got him stuck?

ndereski
02-14-2010, 06:54 PM
The first reason I teamed up with my friend is that he has about 10-15 accounts from previos years, He knows how to do the phyiscal part of the job and does it very well. Where I think he got stuck was in the business side of things. He does not have a high school diploma and I think he felt intimidated by all the paperwork of starting a legitimate company. I have a degree in business management and feel more comformtable dealing with those aspects of it. On that note though, the process of starting a LLC in Michigan is like pulling teeth, there is not a central located building with everything you need, most paperwork is done by FAX machines (who does that anymore?) Information is very general and misleading, the time I tried to get an ID number for the state, the fax number is wrong on the website. So I might have to bite a bullet and pay an accountant to get the paperwork done. So if anyone in Michigan has any advice Id love to hear it.

Steve
02-15-2010, 06:51 AM
Why not just register a dba?

Also, how do you feel you will benefit from partnering up with him? And will it be worth it in the long run?