PDA

View Full Version : Dump Trailer

MountainViewGreenskeeper
02-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Has anyone considered building a dump trailer to save a few bucks?

Steve
02-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi,

We had a forum member on here a little while back that built his own dump units. I think he mainly did it for pickups but I think he also played with dump trailers.

Tell us a little about what you are looking to do. I'd love to hear it.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
02-12-2010, 12:48 PM
well I found some blue prints for a 16x7.5 dump trailer but I love the idea of roll off units. One trailer for multipule dump units Im not planning on getting into the installation realm to much but it would speed to dump trips along plus I have a budy thats intrested in buying a roll off trailer and we would split the cost and just be liable for however many roll offs we need. Was just wondering who out there had considered or done something like this. Give a little confidence in someone when your not the only one out there building thier own stuff.

i-deal
02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
I am building a 16ft rolloff trailer right now. 6617060291.[EMAIL idealrolloff-equip@hotmail.com

Steve
02-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Why not try it out! If you have a few bucks to experiment with it, I think it would be a great learning experience! Plus if you decide to start selling them, you could show your products off here and get some feedback!

I am building a 16ft rolloff trailer right now.

Do you have any picture of it you can show us? I'd love to see it!

i-deal
02-13-2010, 12:16 PM
I have been building rolloff trucks & trailers for 34yrs. I do not use a electric winch set up. I use a hydraulic cylinder winch system. 13hp electric start Honda engine to run the hydraulics. These use the standard dumpsters, not a off brand. I build these from 12ft to 20ft+ sizes. The 16ft I am doing can haul a 12ft-14ft & 16ft long bed. Plus these go flat over the fenders. Boxes are 90" width on the inside. Other trailer builders taper their boxes to fit between the fenders. Plus the hoist cylinders tops, are facing forward to get more push, verses facing back towards the middle of the frame, or a scissor lift, where the frame will bow first, before the frame raises. These pictures are samples.

Steve
02-14-2010, 06:55 AM
Those are so cool! What initially got you started building them?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
02-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Do you have any blue prints I could buy off you?

picframer
02-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Just curious as I built a few trailers years ago, not dump just regular utility trailers. Where I live we have to have trailers safety inspected and you have to obtain a valid serial number from the dept of motor vehicles, I found the first inspection to be a real pain although the trailers passed it wasn't worth the time and hassle to build them.

Dump trailers here require electric brakes and only certain centres are certified to inspect them, this is a real pain for me as four of my trailers have electric brakes and the two spots that are somewhat close are hard to get into with big trailers.

Just some food for thought, something you might want to look into and good luck.

i-deal
02-15-2010, 11:48 AM
I grew up in the refuse building business. I have built tow trucks, roll back tow trucks, trash trucks, rolloff trucks, sea container or sea train beds for trucks & trailers, movie industry trailers, dumpster beds or bins, etc.

Steve
02-15-2010, 12:31 PM
That is so fascinating! Do you have any pics of the process you go through to create them? I'd love to see some behind the scenes stuff!

i-deal
11-02-2010, 03:34 PM
I grew up in the refuse building business. I have built tow trucks, roll back tow trucks, trash trucks, rolloff trucks, sea container or sea train beds for trucks & trailers, movie industry trailers, dumpster beds or bins, etc.

This rolloff trailer i just finished for a customer in Nevada.

i-deal
11-02-2010, 03:51 PM
This rolloff trailer i just finished in March 2010 for a customer. Used for the oil industry on hauling 16ft rolloff flatbeds. Customer installs 2 plastic water tanks. One for septic. The other for fresh. Over 20 beds built for the customers application. [/QUOTE]

Steve
11-02-2010, 08:14 PM
How cool is that! That way they don't need a big specialized rig to haul those tanks or bins. It's gotta be a lot more cost effective to use a trailer.

i-deal
05-30-2011, 08:44 PM
This trailer can haul 14ft, 16ft, 18ft & 20ft long beds. 5" hoist & winch cylinders. 3/4" winch cable. 12k axles, 17.5 -16ply tires, 13hp Honda engine or wet kit from your truck. Full hydraulics. Tractor weighs approx 20k.

calebmoss
05-30-2011, 10:24 PM
these are really neat