PDA

View Full Version : Equipment question

MountainViewGreenskeeper
02-11-2010, 06:48 PM
What goes into a reliability rating for a mower. commercial brands just about all seem to use same grade steal for the decks, a blade is a blade and replaceable, and alot of the motors seem to be the same across most the brands, ie. honda and b&s, or atleast putting off the same cc power wise. The reason why I ask is there really that big of a difference if I spend 1200+ over 400+ mower? penny for your thoughts....

Steve
02-11-2010, 07:20 PM
The reason why I ask is there really that big of a difference if I spend 1200+ over 400+ mower?

Are you asking if there is a difference between a $1200 vs $400 mower?

Are you talking about consumer vs. commercial models? Or both commercial? Or both consumer?

picframer
02-11-2010, 07:53 PM
We have very little walk behind work, thank goodness, I run the John Deere JS26 units, they are friggin amazing and only cost around $350.00

MountainViewGreenskeeper
02-11-2010, 09:46 PM
have a qoute for the exmark i think was 1200 n honda commercial 500ish not that im buying anytime soon just wondering people thoughts out there. Husqu has a res push mower for mid 300s to 400s that they claim is just as good as land owner or commercial.

ProCut TM
02-11-2010, 10:04 PM
service and parts availability is key.

(IMHO) honda engines are over rated. don't get me wrong they run great and are reliable, I just think they are under powered. briggs seem to have more umf!

I also prefer kawasaki over kohler on bigger engines

some people will disagree, but this is from my experiences over the years.

XtreemGreen
02-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Kawasaki engines are awesome... I have a 1980's Kees 36 with a 14hp kawasaki and it still runs great...
My ZTR has a Kohler 22hp with 1800hrs but I rebuilt the heads about 100 hrs ago do to blown head gaskets.. But it still runs great as well..

SuperiorPower
02-11-2010, 11:03 PM
have a qoute for the exmark i think was 1200 n honda commercial 500ish not that im buying anytime soon just wondering people thoughts out there. Husqu has a res push mower for mid 300s to 400s that they claim is just as good as land owner or commercial.

First, how wide of a deck are you looking for?

Let me just say there is a reason why Husqvarna corporate designated that particular mower as a residential. Let me guess, most likely someone at Home Depot said that, right? lol

Is there a big difference in the options offered by Exmark versus the Honda? I personally like Honda and Kawasaki (and will politely disagree with Pro Cut about B&S having more power). I happen to be a Honda dealer and let me tell you, you will likely see a much lower maintenance cost with Honda than you will with B&S. I like B&S but their push mower engines (for the most part) are consumer grade where as Honda, Kawasaki, and the new Kohlers are commercial grade or at least pro-sumer. Right now I would highly recommend avoiding anything with a Tecumseh on it (which are harder and harder to find anyway) because Tecumseh went belly up a few years ago.

I would highly recommend not buying from Lowes, HD, Wal-Mart, etc. For example, HD will tell you their John Deere machines are the same thing that are sold by the regular John Deere dealership. This is an absolutely falsehood. The HD Deere's are made lighter duty and have cheaper quality engines (they have B&S Inteks rather than Kawasaki, etc.).

Let me recommend that what ever mower you get, you buy it from a servicing dealer. They want to sell you a machine that is right for you. Because if its right for you, its right for them. If they make you happy you are more likely to come back. If they upset you or sell you something that you don't want or need, you are less likely to come back for other products and services. So for them, selling you the right product is a win win for you and them. HD, Lowes, etc, on the other hand only care to sell you a machine. PERIOD.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
02-12-2010, 12:01 AM
actually ive never seen a hus mower in a hd its at a horizon dealer in my area they would do the service ur talkn and jd to me ur payn for a name like toyota but toyota is great as is jd i hear but ya the jd hd sells is well hd quality power equipment at its finest nothing but once a week for 2 3 yrs. The reason I like/lean tward hus is there honesty and easy use of their website. Like a company like that I guess. The other question I would have to ask from u guys is it worth the extra money for the self propelled mowers or worth saving the money on a normal push mower with 1 less thing, ie transmision, to break down

MountainViewGreenskeeper
02-13-2010, 12:50 PM
The other question I would have to ask from u guys is it worth the extra money for the self propelled mowers or worth saving the money on a normal push mower with 1 less thing, ie transmision, to break down

Just wondering any thoughts and getting the question back up front...

ProCut TM
02-13-2010, 01:43 PM
superior **- no worries I said they were just my personal opinions from my experience. Everyone has different experiences.

mountainview**- I would go with the self propelled, once you get in some tall, thick grass you will be glad you did.

how often are you using the push mower?
I only have 2 lawns that I need the 21" on so I just bought a used toro.

I'll tell you what I do like in a 21" mower is swiveling front casters. I borrowed a machine with them from a friend for a week, it was really great. example (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07188721000P?vName=Lawn%20&%20Garden&cName=Walk-BehindLawnMowers&sName=Push%20Mowers&psid=PRODUCTPLUS&sid=ISx20090511x00001)

SuperiorPower
02-13-2010, 01:56 PM
I would say this is mostly a decision you need to make based on how much you want to push the mower. There is the obvious difference in less fatigue with a self propelled mower, especially if you intend to use it for several hours per day, several days per week. If you were only mowing your own yard it may be more of a luxury but I believe that if you are doing it for a living a self propelled mower could easily pay for any extra maintenance costs that you may incur because of the additional feature.

Another thing to consider, though it may not be the deciding factor, is what type of terrain you will be using it on (only level terrain, only hilly terrain, or a mixture).