PDA

View Full Version : Landscape firm keeps on growing

Steve
06-22-2006, 01:58 AM
Great article. Great story. Great company! Let's talk about this company LandWorks for a moment. How did they do it?

Well first off, they seem to be a powerhouse husband and wife team. I think it would be very difficult to pull this off all by yourself.

What was their focus when they got started in 1998? They targeted high-end residences and business. Why? Because that is where the money is. These are the types of customers who will want top quality work and are willing to pay you for it. They will also keep calling you back to create more and more of their dream yard. As Tim says "customers began asking whether LandWorks could do more."

Which leads me to my next point. They kept their eyes open for growth. "It started out as simple planting, but then it became, 'Can you do a patio for us?' And then, 'Can you design my summer lake home property?' " Tim Narr said. You can't beat it when the customers ask you to provide them with more and more services which have a healthy profit margin.

After two years of maintenance, they were able to set up a landscape and construction division. They followed the money trail and why not! The article later goes on to tell you how it is the landscape and construction division that has grown far faster than the maintenance division.

Their company now employees 55 people including masons! Congratulations to them! I hope they are able to continue to push forwards even further and grow. But you have to becareful of this enormous overhead. Stay vigilant and keep pushing forwards.

Landscape firm keeps on growing (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=439305) - "Our business is a very emotional, personal thing," said Tim Narr, who co-founded LandWorks Inc. in 1998 with wife Melody. "One of the biggest challenges for us is to get inside the clients' minds and try to figure out exactly what it is they're looking for, because we are not a cookie-cutter company."

In the eight years that LandWorks has been in business, it has matched landscaping with the images in customers' heads so successfully that annual revenue has grown from $250,000 to an expected $5 million this year.