PDA

View Full Version : Billing Question

pboy8634
02-10-2010, 10:16 PM
So I'm only 16 and I plan on continuing my lawn service this summer. I work out of my parents house, so should I give my customers my home address to send me their payments via mail, or should I receive all payments by hand? What do yall think? Any input would be great!

-Preston Miller

ProCut TM
02-11-2010, 12:31 AM
either of those methods would be fine or you could get a PO Box i fyou don't want to give your address out.
they are pretty cheap I pay $58 a year for a small box at the post office.
you would most likely need a parent to rent the box for you.

picframer
02-11-2010, 07:03 AM
So I'm only 16 and I plan on continuing my lawn service this summer. I work out of my parents house, so should I give my customers my home address to send me their payments via mail, or should I receive all payments by hand? What do yall think? Any input would be great!

-Preston Miller

Either will work, we email an invoice a day before the service and clients can pay online or leave a cheque for staff in a generic place we use for every site, this way I avoid receivables.

racerdude711
02-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Pboy8634-

I'm 16 as well. Last summer I had 16 accounts. I decided to bill monthly to and pick payment up at the clients house. I give them an invoice when I arrive to mow on the last week of the month. Most of my customers write a check right away on the spot. There are a few that wait a day to two. Some people say that it is risking because we can't legally sign a contract. I have never had a problem, but if you feel that you may, have to customer prepay every 2 weeks or month.

Steve
02-11-2010, 11:43 AM
I work out of my parents house, so should I give my customers my home address to send me their payments via mail, or should I receive all payments by hand? What do yall think?

If you can make it a policy to get paid in person or in advance, you will be ahead of the game. Nothing is more infuriating than trying to collect on past due payments.

racerdude711
02-11-2010, 11:52 AM
I agree with Steve, If you have a customer that isn't paying, obviously your going to stop mowing for them, but, when the customer decides to pay you two weeks later because his lawn is too long, it's going to be a lot more work for you. Don't let clients pull you around like that. 90% of your headaches is from 10% of your clientle. If you have a customer that's can potentially hurt the business, let them go. It's just not worth it.

asianchao123
08-01-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm 16 too and have been intensly planning my operation for next year. right now i only have two weekly accounts and can't drive. i get my license within the next three weeks and will be set from there on. i anticipate on having 8-10 weekly accounts next season, numerous mulching jobs, and will be plowing during this upcoming winter. for next year, i already created my invoice. like racerdude, i will drop my invoice the last service date of the month and give them 10 days to return a payment or they will be charged a late fee. on the invoice, i state that the payment can be mailed or that they can request a pick up by me. like pboy, i'm at home and have decided to give my home address for them to mail to.

just my two sense, hope it helps.

Steve
08-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Always try if you can , to get the customer to pay in advance. That way you don't have to chase anyone around. It doesn't hurt to ask them to do this.