PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

cball
02-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Fist off ive been a member for a year an this is my first post but i read them all the time an have found them very helpful. Last year i started in lawn care part time with good results i landed 7 lawns to maintain each week i already had a truck 48' walkbehind and a trailor ect. now iam looking to buy a good used zero turn rider its between a 52' exmark laser z and a bad boy 48 pro z the exmak has 1200hours the bad boy has 300hours both around $2200 what would u go with thanks alot good luck to everyone

musician/lawnman
02-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I have never used a bad boy before so it's hard to say. Seems there is a huge difference in how many hours they have for the same money....?
Is a bad boy mower a POS or something?

cball
02-10-2010, 09:04 PM
i know the exmark is well made and iam not sure what all to check for on a used zero turn such as hydros ect .The bad boy is a commercial grade it has 1/4 deck supposedly its big down south,. iam in ohio so not seen alot of them. The exmark only has 18hp.kohler motor the bad boy has a27 hp briggs not sure why the big difference between the 2 exmark has a bigger deck . Any tips on what to look for when buying used would be very welcomed thaks cball

ProCut TM
02-10-2010, 11:40 PM
I would steer clear of the off brand stuff get the exmark you will be glad you did (imho). Plus if you already have a 48 walk behind you are not gaining anything by going to a 48 z.

More deck = faster cut time = more profit

I've never heard of bad boy, we have a lot of the cheaper guys running hustlers down here in FL (no offense if anyone reading has a hustler).

It's one thing to run a cheaper machine for your back up or a small machine for fenced areas, but your main machine should be a quality piece.

Either way you go make sure you can get parts and service locally and quickly.

Steve
02-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Plus if you already have a 48 walk behind you are not gaining anything by going to a 48 z.

What's your view on a walk behind or Z? Which do you prefer?

Here is a great post to read before you buy any used equipment. Let me know if this helps.

Advice buying used mowing equipment (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=50630)

cball
02-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks alot for the posts it helps alot . To be honest ive never owned anything but a walkbehind never even been on a zero turn but due to a knee injury its real hard to be on a sulky. I was thinking a zero turn would help out my knee plus may be faster the largest lawn i have currently is just under 2 acres.Im a full time union carpenter for now but my harts in lawn care thanks to all good bless.

ProCut TM
02-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Steve- I see a place for both a walk behind (here in after to be referred to as a WB) and a Z.

The WBs are usually lighter and might cause less damage on a sandy yard like we have here in FL. Plus you generally need a smaller machine for fenced back yards. I have 2 accounts that only a 21" pusher will fit in the back.

48" and under I've always run WBs, but I do want to get a 32" stander once my 52" stander is paid off.
52" and up a Z or stander makes sense to me because you have a bit more control.

I personally don't think you gain much speed with a Z over a WB if the deck size is the same or larger on the WB. width = speed the less passes you have to make the faster you can do the job.

cball- a Z makes sense if you are looking to take some pressure off your knees.

Steve
02-12-2010, 04:52 AM
How do you like the Standers vs the WB's?

ProCut TM
02-14-2010, 09:46 PM
cball **- I saw a BADBOY today at the FL state fair, it looked like a real nice unit, might be worth looking into a bit more on your end.

XtreemGreen
02-14-2010, 09:51 PM
BadBoys are awesome... Ive used 1 and will buy 1 when I get stable and can afford 1...Everything on it is easy to get to.. Maintenance is easier because the fuel tanks swing out and it isnt cluttered...