PDA

View Full Version : Direct Mail Question

Savesutime09
02-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Has anyone tried advertising in money mailer or any of the coupon mailings that go out? If so what kind of response did youn get from it. I ask because 5000 door hangers is going to be $370. 10,000 direct mail in the coupon pack would be $425. Trying to decide which method might be better.

Thanx
Stuart

CHEESE2009
02-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I ask because 5000 door hangers is going to be $370. 10,000 direct mail in the coupon pack would be $425. Trying to decide which method might be better.

I'm also very curios about this.

It's only a $55.00 difference, which is pretty good. If you can afford it, go for it.

Though I'm not exactly sure how the direct mail companies do this, I know of one company that has you design your ad on their site & the quality is pretty crappy.

They make it seem simple, but I'd like to know how simple. How does the presentation look vs a door hanger.

Steve
02-07-2010, 05:32 AM
We have seen others on the forum use such direct mailings before. I don't remember any of the results being good.

Here is a post that talks about valupak (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=8836) and the offers I have seen in their coupons.

Such direct mailing will blanket an area. But your message is going to be stuffed in there with 5+ other businesses offering the same services potentially at lower prices, so how will you stand out in such an environment?

If you distribute marketing material door to door, you get to harness your sales skills and talk to potential customers.

What's your thoughts on that?

CHEESE2009
02-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Such direct mailing will blanket an area. But your message is going to be stuffed in there with 5+ other businesses offering the same services potentially at lower prices, so how will you stand out in such an environment?

Excellent point!

When I get my mail, it's bundled with ads & stuff which I throw out instantly.

I think my marketing material will stand out more if it's not packaged with everything else.

An example would be, I'd pick a $5.00 bill off the ground, though I wouldn't pick that $5.00 bill off the ground if it's surrounded by poop.

XtreemGreen
02-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Excellent point!

When I get my mail, it's bundled with ads & stuff which I throw out instantly.

I think my marketing material will stand out more if it's not packaged with everything else.

An example would be, I'd pick a $5.00 bill off the ground, though I wouldn't pick that $5.00 bill off the ground if it's surrounded by poop.

Shoot...I would....Money is money...
As far as sales ads...Ous comes packed into our flyers...I keep the flyer, chuck the rest..
Door to door you have a better chance of the home owner looking at it other tha just tossing it..
In the past, Ive gotten many calls.. Most for estimates, some from complaints..
I make and print all my own flyers refilling my printer ink myself... Saves alot of money, but takes more time..

Steve
02-08-2010, 05:21 AM
As far as sales ads...Ous comes packed into our flyers...I keep the flyer, chuck the rest..
Door to door you have a better chance of the home owner looking at it other tha just tossing it..

Can you tell us a little more of what you mean? Are you using the valu pak?

Savesutime09
02-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Yes, It is a similar package to valu pak. What do you think I could expect for a return on 10,000?

Steve
02-09-2010, 05:24 AM
What do you think I could expect for a return on 10,000?

I couldn't give you any numbers. I haven't seen these work out too well. You won't know how many other lawn care businesses are in there and you can't make quick changes if you find you need to alter your message with them.

I don't know if they would tell you but it would be interesting for you to know how many lawn care businesses have used their services and how many are repeat users. If there weren't many, it might be a sign that it's not a good idea.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.