PDA

View Full Version : Question about estimating?

JDS3
02-06-2010, 10:55 AM
My name is John and i have a question bout estimating. I have the opportunity to bid on 300 +/- miles of pipeline right of way mowing. They range from 45 to 125 feet wide.

They are asking for it to be bid by the mile or lump sum.

My question is how would o go about estimating such a vast amount of land to bid it by the mile?

Any insight into this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, John

cklandscapingorlando
02-06-2010, 05:50 PM
This is where I would use Steves sugestion. I would go out and find a mile or 2 that is a good mix of what you will find through out the whole stretch. You dont want the easiest part or hardiest part because you want an avg. Mow that small section and time your self. Then times that across the whole project. Times that by your man hour. I'll tell you now you dont want to be to high

Steve
02-07-2010, 05:22 AM
What kind of equipment would you be using for this? I'd figure you would need a large tractor(s).

Do you have the equipment or would this have to be financed when you got the job?

JDS3
02-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Will probably be looking at lease/purchase option on the tractors and cutters.

I was figuring on mid sized 4x4 tractors. somthing that will handle a 10-12 foot cutter.

The contract once awarded is a 3 year deal too.

And yes...i dont want to be too high but i also dont want to undercut myself either. Mowing the small section may be an option if i can find a tractor and cutter that i can use for this but i dont want to go rent/lease one either til i know i have the contract.

Kinda stumped on this because i can find anywhere on the web on how to get some number together for this.

picframer
02-08-2010, 06:22 PM
A Deere 3032SE would handle this easy or if it's flat a 2520 will play with it.

Can you post any images of the terrain? Is it flat, grass only etc?

You could put bat wings on your ZTR and mow 12 feet at a time.

You should be able to average 3 miles an hour if you have to trim also, if not I would suggest 6 miles an hour on average, take your hourly rate (I suggest $85.00++) due to the tractor cost and go from there.

JDS3
02-09-2010, 01:51 AM
thx for the insight picframer. I havnt actually seen the terrain but i am assuming its going to be a combo of flats and hills. The line stretch from Louisiana to Arkansas.

Not going to be any trimming involved as of yet. I havnt seen anything about in the bid sheet but that could change.

thanks again for all the help here guys.

Steve
02-09-2010, 05:37 AM
I havnt actually seen the terrain but i am assuming its going to be a combo of flats and hills. The line stretch from Louisiana to Arkansas.

Are you going to be able to see it anytime soon?

I think with such bids, there is going to be a tendency to underbid and figure you can do the job faster than is possible.

I would hate to get locked into a money losing contract on such a large job. If at all possible I would get my hands on one of the pieces of equipment I would want to be using, rent it for a day and experiment with it on similar property if not on the actual property and get a feel for how long it takes.

Keep us posted.

picframer
02-09-2010, 06:25 AM
Not sure of the laws there but it it's a publically traded or government owned project, you can get a copy of the last RFP and the Bids, at least here, that would give you some insight.

Steve
02-10-2010, 04:16 AM
Oh that is a good point! Do you have any thoughts on how one would go about doing that?

cklandscapingorlando
02-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Here theres a web site. It tells you whats up for bid, what it was last time, who one the bid, and all the bids that have been made.

Thats why most dont cut that kinda stuff. To cut throat