PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress.com or wordpress.org?

SuperiorPower
02-04-2010, 02:19 PM
What is the difference between Wordpress.com and Wordpress.org?

Which is better and why is it better?

Thanks,
Eli

Steve
02-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Aren't they the same program?

SuperiorPower
02-05-2010, 11:22 AM
No, they are different. One you download software, the other you download nothing at all. I don't know though if there are any other differences. I am not sure that I understand the purpose of downloading the program when the with the other you don't have to....

I wonder if you can do things with one that you can't with the other or something...????????

Anyone know the answer????

ritchiem
02-05-2010, 12:18 PM
it is all about what you can and can't do. Wordpress.com takes care of hosting but you can only use their themes and plugins. You also cannot modify the back end php code.

Wordpress.org lets you download the source code, however, you need to take care of hosting. But you can modify until the cows come home, run your own themes and install any plugin, widget, mod you want.

Here is a link for a great breakdown of the two.

http://en.support.wordpress.com/com-vs-org/

Steve
02-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Oh that makes sense. One hosts and one lets you download the code to host yourself.

So I guess the best choice would depend how involved do you want to get with hosting and stuff like that. Do you need to customize the code? I would venture to guess that most people don't.

SuperiorPower
02-06-2010, 03:09 AM
Thanks Ritchie. I started reading the how to of using the .org version. I think that is MUCH more what I am looking for. I read somewhere in all this that you can use advertising in the .org version. For some reason I was thinking I had read or heard somewhere that neither .com or .org permits the use of google adsense. From what I am seeing and reading I am thinking I had heard or read bad info. Do you know if you can advert or not on the .org version? That was the only thing that sent me to blogspot over WP.

Thanks for your help.

Eli

ritchiem
02-07-2010, 09:56 AM
no problems setting up AdSense code for the .org. My blog is the .org download and I have AdSense set up and working great for years now. There is a plethora (Steve's favorite word) of mods and widgets out there too that will streamline your AdSense for you, put it where it needs to go and track it...you'll just need to alter your php code for your single.php and index.php pages more than likely.