PDA

View Full Version : Tips

CHEESE2009
02-02-2010, 01:34 PM
This isn't about lawn maintenance tips & ideas, this is "tips" as in money.

I order out way too often, & decided to try something new. Well, ancient.

I ordered a pizza with a few chicken wings from "Pizza Hut"

& for the first time ever a guy confronted me about tipping him.

I always pay with a credit card, because I hate going to the bank & I like to give the workers their tip in cash, it's simple for everyone.

So as soon as a pay for my food with my card, I reach for my wallet & before I could give the guy a tip he says, "I noticed that you didn't give me a tip?!:mad:"

I honestly wanted to slam my door on his face, it's only a damn 3 minute drive anyway.

So I gave him $8.00 for a tip, I paid $45.00 for my food (overpriced).

I have a bad habit with tipping, I just take whatever is in my wallet pouch and just give it away, sometimes I surprise myself. I also hate taking more than a second to count.

Anyway, my question is, what's the deal with tipping?

I understand that most people who receive tips are students, working part time jobs. Though to me it's still an act of generosity from the customer.

Sure I don't mind, they are students & it feels right. Though is it really necessary? Half the time it actually feels WRONG.

A tip should be something unexpected, but all of these people "expect" it.

When I receive a tip doing lawn maintenance & such, I am grateful & very appreciative. It could be a bottle of water for all I care.

Though it bugs me that all these people are getting tips & it's kinda forced upon us to give it to them. Maybe I feel that it's a little unfair?

It makes sense to tip the guy who goes out of his way for you, not the guy doing the job he's been hired to do.

I don't expect a tip doing my job, & when I do receive a tip I don't really feel good about myself for taking it. Though if I trimmed a hedge back a little bit after mowing a lawn out of courtesy, sure I would appreciate a tip, though I would never ask for one.

*I actually had a delivery boy pick me up a case of beer one time on his way over, what a champ* he deserved a real tip! ... & a beer for after his shift.

:D

What are your opinions?

SuperiorPower
02-03-2010, 03:03 AM
One reason I know for tips is that most people getting these tips are making less than minimum wage. I used to be a Pizza Hut delivery driver some years ago. I know for a fact that I did not get paid enough to use my own car to deliver pizzas had not not received tips. I wish I had good tippers like you when was delivering pizzas!!!! I also know the waiters and waitresses made about $2.00 per hour and this was only about 6-7 years ago. Though I may not have made much money, I never ever asked for a tip.

While I can certainly appreciate your frustration with someone asking for a tip (this would go over kind of like a lead balloon with me), I certainly also understand why they need tips. Despite the need for tips, in my opinion, it is never "ok" to ask for tips.

Steve
02-03-2010, 06:27 AM
You know what drives me crazy, when I order a pizza, go into the pizzeria to get the pizza and they have a tip jar there! Then they expect me to put any change into it!

The tip thing is out of control.

I tip waiters and waitresses but that's it.

Tip jars rattling nerves (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/foodwine/2004190409_tipjar20.html)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/02/16/2004186849.jpg

mortonslawn
02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Some people are just plain greedy and need to be taught a lesson. I had delivered pizza to as a kid when I just got my license.

One time, I ordered pizza from a place that was right across the street (highway). I know it takes about 20 minutes to make a pizza and about 5 minutes to deliver it from where they were. What really urked my nerves is the guy took over an hour to deliver my pizza, when he got there, it was cold. I asked the guy what took him so long, and he said "I had to make a stop in the neighborhood, Yo!". He looked like he was on something! Anyway, after handing me the pizza, he had the nerve to ask for a tip. So you know what I did? I told him to drive safely, smiled, and shut the door.

Was I wrong? I did give him what he asked for.

Steve
02-04-2010, 12:11 AM
It's fascinating to see how a business can drop the ball. The pizza owner may have no idea how bad the delivery staff is. If you are getting cold pizza something is wrong with their operations.

SuperiorPower
02-04-2010, 03:29 AM
Anyway, after handing me the pizza, he had the nerve to ask for a tip. So you know what I did? I told him to drive safely, smiled, and shut the door.

Was I wrong? I did give him what he asked for.

I do believe that is at least one definition of a tip. And sounds like that was the only tip (and much needed at that) he needed!!