PDA

View Full Version : Help

jeffery9076
01-29-2010, 06:28 AM
I have been going thru the phone book the last week compiling names, numbers, adressess in my target area. I plan on doing a letter of introduction and flyer to these people. My marketing aproach will be to offer a free mow on the 3rd or 5th mow because if i have a good response i do not want to go a week with out pay. My target area is a gated community with older permanent residents, and wealthy residents that have vacation homes used mostly on the weekends. My flyer must say to the residents relax enjoy your free time you. I am still figuring how to do the contract that will not scare people away. I hoping the free mow is what will push them to call. I believe if i can get into the community and have a sign on my cart saying free mow 2010 season with signed contract will get me work. My friend who has a lawncare company there has people coming up to him all the time he does not even have his name on his truck half the time. I have posted a free add on a classified section on the web saying 1 free mow got my first customer lined up for the year. My phone manner was a little off and stumbled thru the conversation still got the job. My heart was racing like the first time you get a buck in the sight (customer fever) i guess felt good i felt alive. Any input on a flyer? should i do a letter of introduction or stick with the flyers and business cards

psparaco
01-29-2010, 07:49 AM
If i was in your shoes. or on the other end of the spectrum and i received a letter from a landscaping company in the mail addressed to me, i'd immediately throw it out. thats soliciting at its finest. a flyer in my mailbox to me is just junk mail and isnt really soliciting even though it is. i get the penny saver and store advertisements and thats fine. if a store directly targeted me, i'd be asking how they got my information and would be like my privacy was violated regardless if my info is listed in a phone book or not. thats my opinion on it.

Secondly. Most gated communities do not allow soliciting at all. Hence the reason they have a guard at the main gate. Unless the owner is expecting you or invited you. the chances of you getting in are slim. Oh if your the mailman, ups, fed ex or a current contractor permited to be there for a reason. then your allowed. my cousin lives in a gated community in Virginia and the homes are over 30,000 square foot yard, not including the home itself. and most homes are worth 500,000 on up in value. I would talk to you guard and ask if you could post a flyer in his window, so the residents could see it as they drive into the comunity. obviously thats if their is 1 way in and 1 way out.

psparaco
01-29-2010, 08:08 AM
nix the last message. i accidently clicked submit.

If i was in your shoes. or on the other end of the spectrum and i received a letter from a landscaping company in the mail addressed to me, i'd immediately throw it out. thats soliciting at its finest. a flyer in my mailbox to me is just junk mail and isnt really soliciting even though it is. i get the penny saver and store advertisements and thats fine. if a store directly targeted me, i'd be asking how they got my information and would be like my privacy was violated regardless if my info is listed in a phone book or not. thats my opinion on it.

Secondly. Most gated communities do not allow soliciting at all. Hence the reason they have a guard at the main gate. Unless the owner is expecting you or invited you. the chances of you getting in are slim. Oh if your the mailman, ups, fed ex or a current contractor permited to be there for a reason. then your allowed. my cousin lives in a gated community in Virginia and the homes are over 30,000 square foot yard, not including the home itself. and most homes are worth 500,000 on up in value. I would talk to the guard and ask if you could post a flyer in his window, so the residents could see it as they drive into the comunity. obviously thats if their is 1 way in and 1 way out.

Thirdly. If you do not live in this community and your business is a push mower, trimmer and blower. your chances of getting in are slim to none, unless you currently live in the community. Most landscaping companies that make it in their have alot of equipment and a huge logo on a trailer and/or truck from what i have seen in his area. they offer many many other services other than just lawn maintenance. But on the higher note. Once your in , your in.

jeffery9076
01-29-2010, 03:29 PM
I have no problem getting into the gated community show up with a mower on the cart/ slowly drive by the guard gate and wave to him been in 3 times already by myself. Just in case your stopped have 3 names that live in there tell them you mow for them your in. My friend who's a landscaper told me to wear his shirt if i need to get in but this is not a problem. there is only a few options i found besides direct mailing. Post flyers in the post office and buisness there maybe the gaurd shack but the people who stop there are people that do not live there. A few internet sites where i can put some banner ads $10 a month not shure of useage by the gated community suppose to serve there needs. Group of ladies [ladies of the lake] going to send them some biz cards and maybe some money to support the cause. local newspapers in the lawn seasons probably priced high. And one internet service provider that provides for the gated community. That where my friend advertises but he has got no new work in 15 months. maybe they will bite with a free mow. thanks so far for the input PS i am getting a new stihl br600 back pack next week

Steve
01-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Jeff,

Why not play up the angle of being green? With your bike and your trailer, its different and it will stand out!

Instead of giving the customer free mowings like that, could you do something where you offer to take care of the entrance for free and plant some flowers in return for getting an ad and a write up about you in their community newsletter?

There would be a lot of great things to write about how your service is different and how you are trying to save the environment.

What are your thoughts on things like that.

Also, if you are pulling your trailer on your bike, what if you made a bigger spectacle of it. Get a big flag attached to your trailer that says "LAWN CARE - 555-2945" Or something like that.

jeffery9076
01-30-2010, 06:29 AM
they have a volunteer get together in the spring to re mulch tidy up things around the entrance. I could offer my free service for a write up in there own news letter and try it that way first. thanks

Steve
01-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Absolutely! That would be a great way to get involved and I am sure they would love to have your expertise!

You could also consider providing them with different seasonal outdoor displays at their entrances.