PDA

View Full Version : Before you guarantee it....

Steve
06-17-2006, 12:21 AM
When you are thinking about offering guarantees, think about if you really want to replace that tree you guaranteed for two years. If the trees you planted die and you aren't on top of the sitaution, you might find yourself the subject of bad press as is the case below.

Landscaper too slow in replacing dead trees (http://www.nj.com/columns/expresstimes/salamone/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1149136252220220.xml&coll=2) - I hired him in September 2004 to plant three Douglas fir trees.

The trees died during the winter.

I first called Schlecter in April 2005 and left him a message. He never returned that call.

He admitted he does not get to replacement work as quickly as possible.

The trees are guaranteed for two years.

tiedeman
06-17-2006, 01:32 AM
Well, I know that we had a guarantee talk on here a few months ago, and I personally no longer guarantee products, or weed control stuff.

Sure, I may try to make it right by coming over to the property to check up on it, but I have been taken advantage of big time this year by that. I have two customers in particular, that I spent around $90 out of my pocket just to cover my guarantee. That might not seem like much, but it's a lot for two customers that only have a total square footage of around 11,000.

There are just too many factors anymore. I recently read an article in a trade magazine where a professional says that he only guarantees landscape plant products for 60 days. He basically said the same thing that there are just too many variables.

Steve
06-17-2006, 07:09 PM
I almost forgot about the guarantees you were offering in the beginning of the season!

Those two customers who called you back, are they good customers or are they more pain in the butt customers? How would you rate them?

tiedeman
06-17-2006, 08:18 PM
The one customer is a good customer, the other one is nothing but a pain.

She is schedule for 5 granular applications during the year, well, so far I have done 3 granular applications, and 2 liquid applications. The liquid applications were free.

I also have made around 3 trips over there because of her questions about things. Sure, she is a pretty nice customer, but compared to what the past company offered an did for her, what I am doing for her is 200% better. Even the neighbors are calling me asking me for help

Steve
06-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Quote[/b] ]Even the neighbors are calling me asking me for help
I sure hope those resulted in sales and turned into new customers.