PDA

View Full Version : Weed and Feed

TouchtonsCLC
01-28-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm in north Florida and looking for suggestions on pre and post emergent chemicals. Preferably granulars for spreaders. Thanks.

swstout
01-29-2010, 07:32 AM
I'm in north Florida and looking for suggestions on pre and post emergent chemicals. Preferably granulars for spreaders. Thanks.

I don't use granular lawn products any more. I exclusively use liquid organic products. They are more effective, easy to use, and more profitable. I can fertilize, dethatch, and aerate at the same time for a fraction of the mechanical or granular approach. Results are also much faster that granular.

Glueton8 is a very effective pre-emergent and organic fertilizer (8%)

Also, a popular turf in Florida is Centipede grass. All commercial weed and feed products on the market do more harm that good to Centipede. It actually requires more micro nutrients than macro nutrients, iron or sulfur for greening and an amendment package for plant health like Nature's Magic.

NPK - (macro nutrients)

Nitrogen - Centipede requires very little Nitrogen 9% or less only twice a year. More promotes weeds and thatch.

Phosphorous - Centipede handles Phosphorous poorly.

Potassium - Potassium harms Centipede root systems.

Steve

MikeO
01-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Why do you say using organic is more profitable then aeration? No gas? Maintenance? Just faster? Do you charge as you would for aeration or by feet?

swstout
01-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Why do you say using organic is more profitable then aeration? No gas? Maintenance? Just faster? Do you charge as you would for aeration or by feet?

Mechanical aeration takes more time to accomplish and then leaves a mess of the lawn (cores). I can only be done effectively when the ground is saturated, It leaves a "hole" about every 6" that is only 2-3" deep. Liquid aerator has 100% coverage and penetrates 6-10". Core aeration takes 3-4 weeks to produce questionable results while the liquid aeration results are immediate.

Mechanically, you would have to make a minimum of 2 runs to aerate and fertilize. I can aerate, fertilize, control insect and weeds plus more at the same time. I usually quote full price for the main treatment and 50% off added simultaneous treatment. My material costs are less, my labor is less, the customer perceives the cost savings and the results are dramatic.

I charge by area. So much per 1,000 sq. ft.

Steve

MikeO
01-29-2010, 05:22 PM
When looking over natures care page there is so many to pick from. Aerify plus does that include everything?..dethatch and aeration? Also, when you go to mix this all together what do you recommend using? One of the walk and spray jugs you can buy at Lowes or Fleet Farm?. The backpack with sprayer?. When you order this stuff how long to expect to arrive? 6-8 weeks?

Sorry for all the question's. I'd like to offer this stuff next spring but, really hesitant. What outcomes have you witnessed so far with it? Greener and healthier?
Thank You

swstout
01-29-2010, 05:57 PM
When looking over natures care page there is so many to pick from. Aerify plus does that include everything?..dethatch and aeration? Also, when you go to mix this all together what do you recommend using? One of the walk and spray jugs you can buy at Lowes or Fleet Farm?. The backpack with sprayer?. When you order this stuff how long to expect to arrive? 6-8 weeks?

Sorry for all the question's. I'd like to offer this stuff next spring but, really hesitant. What outcomes have you witnessed so far with it? Greener and healthier?
Thank You

Aerify Plus is an aerator and soil enhancement product. If contains a 50/50 mix of Aerify and Mature's Magic. Aerify is a very effective aerator and Nature's Magic is probably the best soil improving product on the market. It contains North Sea Kelp (seaweed) and supplements of trace elements and micro-nutrients and humic acid (one gallon of their humic acid has the bio-activity value of 7 tons of manure.

The best method of applying is to use a tow behind sprayer ( I have 2, (one has a 25 gallon capacity and the other has a 45 gallon capacity). Both were less than $300.00.

The second best method is the hose end sprayer. (I use this when I can't get my lawn tractor into yards.

The back-pack sprayers will wear you out quickly.

The longest I have ever had for arrival after order is 5 days.

Steve

MikeO
01-30-2010, 07:48 AM
interesting. when you spray with the hose I am assuming it will be adjusted to the stream or mixed with the water properly or do you have to set it at 10-1 or whatever is recommended? Do you just spray like you would when watering your grass or do you spray it like your painting covering every inch of square ground?

swstout
01-30-2010, 08:26 AM
From my site.

http://organiclawncarestore.web.officelive.com/Howtouseahoseendsprayer.aspx

Steve

MikeO
01-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Thats a very informative website you have. Pretty much answered most of my question's. So hands down you recommend this product to everyone to produce specefic satisfaction's?

TouchtonsCLC
01-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Where can I purchase Glueton8?

swstout
01-30-2010, 10:35 AM
William R (Bill) Skerrett<?xml:namespace prefix = o />
ICT Organics
W: 410-997-5450
C: 410-707-2794
bill@ictorganics.com (bill@ictorganics.com)
www.ictorganics.com (http://www.ictorganics.com)

Steve

MikeO
01-31-2010, 05:53 AM
My head for some reason is spinning this morning, feeling anxiety I don't know.
I didnt pound back any beer or booze last night so, its not that. Heres my question for you what kind of soil test kit do you recommend using?. I have alot of questions pertaining these tests and what to use.
Thank You

swstout
01-31-2010, 07:33 AM
My head for some reason is spinning this morning, feeling anxiety I don't know.
I didnt pound back any beer or booze last night so, its not that. Heres my question for you what kind of soil test kit do you recommend using?. I have alot of questions pertaining these tests and what to use.
Thank You

I have been using the Rapidtest Soil Test Kit. It runs about $15.00 and is good for 10 tests. Refill capsules run about $2.20 per pack of 10 for each test ($8.80 for all 4). The pH and Nitrogen tests are the only ones that seem to change any though.

Last summer Lowe's started carrying an elect test for pH (about) $9.00) and one for pH and Nitrogen (about $12.00).

For around $10.00 your county can do a lab test for soil. This I use for contract jobs that indicate problem soil. (usually on lawns that have been treated with chemical/synthetic Fertilizers, insecticides and herbicides.)

The pH and Nitrogen tests are usually adequate. And having the electronic tester seems to impress the customer more that the vial tests.

Steve

MikeO
01-31-2010, 08:41 AM
Here is my trouble with understanding all of this. The more i look at this organic spray, the more i love it. However, Theres too many products. Now If the ph is too low we use Liquid Lawn Lime right? What if it's too high what to use to bring down?. Reading this stuff is great, its just alot of products and then your like wtf..lol. I want to use it and bring it to the table. But you still havent said your real thoughts about it. And I am curious about that. Obviousley your using it I understand that. How green does the lawn get? And is it something that has to be done 50 times before you see any results because you know as much as I do the mentality people have about that.

MikeO
01-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Sorry forgot to include this
this is accurate right?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_251966-83666-1240_0_?productId=3028419&Ntt=soil%20tester&Ntk=i_products_cascade&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=soil%20tester

swstout
01-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Here is my trouble with understanding all of this. The more i look at this organic spray, the more i love it. However, Theres too many products. Now If the ph is too low we use Liquid Lawn Lime right? What if it's too high what to use to bring down?. Reading this stuff is great, its just alot of products and then your like wtf..lol. I want to use it and bring it to the table. But you still havent said your real thoughts about it. And I am curious about that. Obviousley your using it I understand that. How green does the lawn get? And is it something that has to be done 50 times before you see any results because you know as much as I do the mentality people have about that.

Lower pH with Liquid Sulfur
http://www.agorganics.com/products/Soil-Sul-Liquid-Sulfur-Gallon/13/186.html (http://www.agorganics.com/products/Soil-Sul-Liquid-Sulfur**Gallon/13/186.html)
or Liquid Iron
http://www.gemplers.com/product.aspx?itemNo=156302&s_kwcid=TC|4086|liquid%20iron%20for%20plants||S|e| 3012835615 (http://www.gemplers.com/product.aspx?itemNo=156302&s_kwcid=TC|4086|liquid%20iron%20for%20plants||S|e| 3012835615)

Raise pH with Liquid Lime
http://www.turboturf.com/Liquid_Lime.htm (http://www.turboturf.com/Liquid_Lime.htm)
You will see results from Nature's Magic almost overnight. The same with Aerify.

As far as green goes, Often iron is more important to greening than nitrogen. Different turfs have different green ranges.

The biggest benefit of Organic Products is soil conditioning. Increase bio-activity, organic matter in the soil, micro-nutrients and trace elements and you will have a healthy, weed and insect resistant lawn.

How long does it take? That really depends on how long chemical/synthetic fertilizers, insecticides and pesticides had been used. They tend to render soil infertile.

The use of Nature's Magic every 4-5 weeks will detoxify a lawn in 1-2 seasons.

Aerify, early spring and mid summer will relieve compaction and utilize air, water, and nutrients more efficiently.

The Bio-enhanced dethatcher does much more than just dethatch. It boosts soil bio-life (the bacteria and enzymes necessary for good plant health and functions.

Remember, A green lawn is not necessarily a healthy lawn. Chemical fertilizers actually hurt the soil bio life but make the grass green.

Organic lawn care becomes self sustaining in time.

Steve

TouchtonsCLC
02-01-2010, 07:45 AM
As these products are organic, does that make the applicator exempt from any regulations like EPA rules and liscencing and such?

swstout
02-01-2010, 10:00 AM
The EPA and the FDA both classify these products as "food" sources. The only special handeling required is temperature control for Aerify and the Bio-enhanced dethatcher (store at 40 to 80 degrees F).

They contain bio-life, freezing and prolonged high temps can be detrimental to them.

Steve

TouchtonsCLC
02-01-2010, 12:36 PM
How many treatments is usual for Gluton8? I'm trying to price out this stuff for a client but don't know how many times I'll have to apply it.

TouchtonsCLC
02-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Also, is this the correct order of application?

dethatch
gluton8

How much time do I leave between application of one before I can apply the other.

TouchtonsCLC
02-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Okay guys. I think I have this whole thing figured out. I got a delivery of Aerify Plus and dethatcher. I did a first application on my own lawn of Aerify and will do another in a couple of weeks. I will post results. I have also sold a season of these product applications to one of my good customers who has been gracious enough to give a shot at fertilizer treatments for this season. Wish me luck and thanks for all the input.

Brian T.

Steve
02-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Brian this is exciting!

Take some before and after pictures for us to show what the difference is! It would also help you with your marketing.

hotwired
02-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Great post. Please do post your results. "getting it right" with organic lawn care takes a LITTLE more thought and timing, I've found, so this is valuable stuff.