PDA

View Full Version : Starting Up

aylor70@hotmail.com
01-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Hey everyone,

Just looking for some advice here. Me and my buddy are thinking about starting up a small lawn care business for the summer. Our customers will be people on a lake with smaller lake lots. We have 2 push mowers right now, 2 weed whackers, and we're going to invest in some edgers and leaf blowers. I was wondering what else we will need and such. We have just kicked the idea around a little bit and haven't thought too in detail, but I would like to hear some input here about thing I am probably overlooking. Thanks.

Steve
01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
I think the most important thing is just getting started. Get your feet wet. Get a few customers and see how you like it. See how you all get along working together and from there, if everything works, keep building it!

calvinslawnservice
01-27-2010, 10:37 AM
You may want to think about doing, beach clean-up: pulling weeds, rotor tilling the sand, etc. It is quite easy and also make a good chunk of money in about an hour.

MikeO
01-27-2010, 06:15 PM
I live somewhat by the lakes area and Im telling you there is so much work to be done out there. Just putting in docks will keep you busy for a long time. It's something everybody wants done. Then you have to pull it up as well when the time comes. Alot of painting, leaf clean ups,fix broken windows. The list is endless. Spray for insects. Swartout has a good product for that, that is natural hit him up for a link. You might want to invest in some tarps for the leaves, some have a spot behind the cabin or past the road to dump its alot easier that way. Or a big wheel barrow would work well. Alot of work out there to have done. so many people that don't live there but, want it too look nice when they do, and some people live there year round that would rather watch you work. Id set up a referral program actually. 10% or 15% off if they refer. You can make alot of money. Gutter cleaning as well. Window cleaning. Foundation work, dirt work...endless. Let us know how it goes Good Luck

Steve
01-27-2010, 09:57 PM
I live somewhat by the lakes area and Im telling you there is so much work to be done out there. Just putting in docks will keep you busy for a long time. It's something everybody wants done. Then you have to pull it up as well when the time comes.

That is a fantastic idea! Do you market these beach - dock services?

What other things have you seen customers who live on lakes need that other home owners dont?

MikeO
01-28-2010, 04:36 PM
To be honest with you the gravel roads they like to be graded. Tree's in the back cut down for firewood. I dont know about other services compared to home owner since some live there permanatley. The docks are the main thing because it sucks. You could offer a blade sharpening service as well, beats running into town to do it. If you were smart enough you could hook up a power unit in the truck and get a grinder on a 2x4 and be ready, or get a dewalt grinder that runs off of batteries and use that. same thing really.

Id say the ones id hit up are leaves, lawn, that natural aeration, natural pest control, gutters and window cleaning and docks, and the rest should fall onto your lap. Nobody likes mosquito's/// Flyers everywhere..ads too. not too many are willing to drive that far to do some work once you do i think word of mouth will take off after a few times.

Steve
01-28-2010, 07:32 PM
How difficult of a job is it to put in and take out docks? Are these the floating types that you just have to roll into the water and connect to the shore?

How long do you think the average dock takes to install?

Nobody likes mosquito's/// Flyers everywhere..ads too.

What kinds of services could one offer to deal with mosquitos?

MikeO
01-29-2010, 03:58 PM
The ones I have seen are just bulky you can do it with one but its alot easier with two. Eventually you have to get into the water and place it. Id say the first couple times it will take a few hours once, you get the jest of it you should be able to be done in an hour. Depends how many they have. Theres million dollar homes where I live. The mosquito spray Swartout knows more about if he ever would reply to this thread. Its with that natures care program he's been doing. That I think would be the best if it works and I don't know if it works because it seems like nobody on here has tried it. Id like to know myself. I read alot about it seems like it would.

Steve
01-29-2010, 10:49 PM
This might sound crazy, but would it be worth offering a service to pull a person's boat out of the water at the end of the season and then do that shrink wrapping on it? Maybe also drain it of fuel and prep it for the winter?

Then maybe in the beginning of the season, take it off and get the boat back into the water?

MikeO
01-30-2010, 08:20 AM
my friend stores boats and vehicles at his place over the winter. He does all the prepping for winterization. fuel, etc.. He charges $75 per boat for the season plus he has cars and rv's and such. You could offer such a service for them as well as you mentioned, I dont know what that would be like if the boat doesn't start in the summer. Would they hold that against you liability?
Its a great service to offer indeed.

Steve
01-30-2010, 10:19 PM
You could store the boat on their property or you could make a deal with your friend. I would figure storing the boat on the customer's property would remove liability from you for storing it.

That is a good question about starting it up. Maybe you could have your friend potentially offer his services to get the boat started or you could try first and if it didn't work, the boat had been sitting all winter on the customer's property so who knows what happened to it while it was there.

aylor70@hotmail.com
02-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Wow, thanks for all the ideas. Me and my buddy had the idea to work with docks as well already. As far as some of the other jobs, they seem like things that we would have to build up to in the future. For now with our limited funds and knowledge we're trying to keep it basic and slowly add things into our repitoire.

Steve
02-01-2010, 03:02 AM
Great! It's always better to have more ideas to use than less.

Keep us posted on what you decide to go with and how it works out.