PDA

View Full Version : !!!the Upselling Game!!!!

CHEESE2009
01-25-2010, 01:07 AM
The objective of this game is simple. We all play the role of the entrepreneur who is trying to make new sale by offering a different service. We want to see how many upsells all of us together would be able to come up with!:D

From what we know, our customer Bruce & Nancy have just bought this massive property for a very low price, due to the fact it needs a lot of work done!

Money is not the issue however with this couple, as they didn't spend much of their savings on their "new" property anyway, & they are both very successful. Bruce is a chef at his very own restaurant, & Nancy is a school principal.

Neither of them have the time to do any household work, & are unable to realize what actually needs to get done!

You have already made a first impression by gaining them as a lawn maintenance client. They appreciate every time you stop by, & call you in the evening to praise you for your good work every other day.

So now the game begins.

We all have a chance to talk to either Bruce or Nancy, & we must make a new sale on a different service! We must not offer the same service twice, because we are all working for the same company!

You can consider this role playing, & a good sense of humor is recommended.

I will start with an example:

I see that a house in my area has finally been sold & the new owners are making their way inside of the house. Instead of being patient, I take the opportunity to speak with Bruce.

I tell Bruce that I am doing business in this particular area, & ask if he'd be interested in hiring me for the season for lawn maintenance.

Before I could continue, Bruce tells me of his troubles on how he will be unable to maintenance his own lawn due to work, & that he is really interested in hiring a service.

I give him my card & tell him to get settled in to his new home, & that if he is interested in hiring me, to give me a call later on.

Bruce gives me a call the next day & I head on over to give him my price. We shake hands & I tell him that I be around next Monday to start.

=========

Scott a.k.a Breeze's Upsell:

As I'm mowing the lawn I notice that they have a beautiful tree in their front yard, though it has a lot of weak branches & you can see the damage already.

Knowing that Bruce & Nancy have just settled in I don't want to bother them while they are at work, or in the evening.

Instead I write a note saying, "I noticed your tree in the front could use some pruning, I am concerned about it's state as it is a beautiful tree, though the damage is causing it to weaken." & I leave it in their mailbox, knowing as a customer I should probably have the right to give them letters in their mailbox. ?

Steve
01-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Instead I write a note saying, "I noticed your tree in the front could use some pruning, I am concerned about it's state as it is a beautiful tree, though the damage is causing it to weaken." & I leave it in their mailbox, knowing as a customer I should probably have the right to give them letters in their mailbox. ?

The thing I wonder is this. When writing a note, it puts a lag time in the sale of a potential job where the customer has to get it, read it, remember it and then bring it up to you.

But if you talk with them, you can point out issues and ask them if they would like you to get to work on the job now. Then on the spot they can make the decision and you can potentially move forwards with the job.

What's your take on that?

CHEESE2009
01-25-2010, 02:50 AM
The thing I wonder is this. When writing a note, it puts a lag time in the sale of a potential job where the customer has to get it, read it, remember it and then bring it up to you.

But if you talk with them, you can point out issues and ask them if they would like you to get to work on the job now. Then on the spot they can make the decision and you can potentially move forwards with the job.

What's your take on that?

It does put the ball in the customers court at the very beginning, though this is something I feel is important considering they have just moved in. I don't want to seem too demanding for something so small. The job doesn't provide a lot of money, & some people might actually do it for free along side another up sell.

If it were however, garden maintenance. I would be all over my phone making sure I make a logical choice on who I want to speak to. Who would be the best choice to call, a chef or a principal. They hired my service because they don't have time, should I take that literally?

If one says no, do I ignore it & call the other partner? Nah.

If one says no, will they bring it up at the dinner table & suddenly have a change of heart?

Is there a better chance of a wife accepting a service, or the husband?

If the husband says no, will his wife convince him to say yes later on?

If the wife says no, will the husband convince her to say yes later on?

I suppose if it's a big deal, my next step would be to approach them when I know they are home, or on pay day if they pay in person.

Other than that, I would just leave a note & follow up with it when I know it's safe.

I suppose I can call in the evening, usually when I call customers they gather around the phone together to make a decision. If they don't, the partner will ask the other who it was, what he wanted, bla bla... Then they can think about it.

I just feel that maybe we are on "Who wants to be a millionaire?"

We only have 3 lifelines, if we use them constantly, we seem greedy & annoying. I don't want to call them all the time, & only for business unless there is good money to be made.

Steve
01-25-2010, 06:21 PM
You know what might really hammer the point home. Say you brought up to the home owner that there is a tree limb in danger of falling.

Then you get some postcards like Andy makes and you send it to them to remind them of the potential threat it poses.