PDA

View Full Version : Life after GM

Steve
06-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Do you feel that more and more people who are leaving the big three automakers will get into the lawn care industry? If so how do you think this will effect the industry?

Life after GM (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/0616bizshelter.html) - Ernie Alexander, part of the seat installer crew on the 6 a.m. shift at the Doraville General Motors plant, saw flashes of frustration over the past few months as co-workers wrestled with buyout options and the industrial landmark's looming demise. Now he is exploring the launch of a lawn care business, involving his kids, to occupy daytime hours and replace some lost income.

kc2006
06-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Probably going to be alot of guys getting into this industry from gm. Alot of guys already have trucks, they just got the big buyout, why not drop $10,000 or less and be set to have your own business!? It's too easy to get into this business.

Luckily, all the guys that took buyouts from here were older so I doubt they'll be doing much, and many of them left the area to go to florida.

Haven't heard of any that started up yet, but I do know of a few retiree's that do work part time. My dad was one, him and another guy that worked out there were doing landscaping installs for a few years but they're done.

Steve
06-17-2006, 07:58 PM
I didn't even think of the buy out money too. Good points.