PDA

View Full Version : marketing

rn899
01-20-2010, 11:16 AM
I live on the east coast and am just starting out. when is the best time to start avertising and handing out flyers

Steve
01-20-2010, 02:20 PM
When do you usually start your first mowing of the year?

CHEESE2009
01-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Well where I'm from we have a - spring, summer, fall, winter -

After Winter comes spring, things are still wet & crummy, by May the grass is more dry & growing.

So if you start during May like I do, we'd want to market earlier. If your on a small budget, we'd want to market when our potential customers will have the highest of interest.

If we send out advertisements when there is still snow melting, they will throw your ads out.

If we send out advertisements when we are on the verge of the mowing season to begin, the customers will be paying more attention to their lawn maintenance needs. They will see the green grass on their property & be more concerned.

If you had a full time job & came home every day, when would you most likely be interested in what a lawn maintenance company has to offer?

Personally I would be the last minute guy because I'm not full of money & ready to start making scheduled payments until I see that I need to.

Though in a wealthy neighborhood, people just might be ready to hire you early on so it's over & done with.

It depends on the person you market to. If you market early, make sure you give the person a reason to hold onto your flyer or whatever you use until the day they hire you. Or else it's in the trash.

Anyway, straight answer.

Start marketing 3 weeks before the initial day you begin mowing & don't stop.

If you only pick up one customer, no fear, you will gain more throughout the entire season weather it be word of mouth, or other tactics you try out.

clean_cut
01-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah, start around a week or two before you start mowing, depending on how long it will take you pass out all of your flyers.

Steve
01-21-2010, 04:52 PM
It depends on the person you market to. If you market early, make sure you give the person a reason to hold onto your flyer or whatever you use until the day they hire you. Or else it's in the trash.

Anyway, straight answer.

Start marketing 3 weeks before the initial day you begin mowing & don't stop.

Should a lawn care business owner be hitting the same houses multiple times or is once enough?

markty
01-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm Mark in Nova Scotia, Canada. I am 39 and left my teaching job last year(just can't do that anymore, I may strangle someone:) and I am going to start with some basic lawn care and property maintenance. Have been reading this forum for a while now and love it. Digesting all the tips and advice. I have owned a successful business in the past so I do know a few things from that end.

Business name is registered. Business plan is done. Getting insurance this week. Looking at basic equipment etc etc. Just going to be a one man show for starters. NOT going to be "Low Baller"! Professional, Quality work.

If you get your flyers done up, you can check with Canada Post and indicate what postal codes you want THEM to deliver the flyers to. They do it. Yes there is a fee for them to do this, BUT you may decide that it is worth it to at least check into. A lot of posts on here suggest that people are concerned about the legalities of putting flyers in mail boxes etc. Plus, I think you have more important things to do to grow your business. Just my opinion.

My ex wife did this for a business she had with very good results.

He is a link to read about it from the Canada Post site.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/productsservices/marketing/unaddressedadmail.jsf

Hope this helps.

Mark

Steve
01-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Hi Mark,

Welcome to our forum!

What kind of business had you operated in the past?

What lessons do you feel you learned from it that can help you build this business successfully too?

markty
01-23-2010, 10:12 PM
I owned/operated a Young Drivers of Canada driving school franchise for a number of years. It was a franchise and I had employees and a LOT of overhead, so it was different in that regard from what I want to do now.

You have to set yourself apart from low ballers. We had it in that business too. I didn't care. We were the most expensive driving school AND we were the most successful in our area by far.

You have to have the mindset that YOU have no competition. YOU are the best. Kill people with kindness. Customer service wins. Go the extra mile for folks. You don't HAVE to be everything to everyone.

Be organized with all aspects of your accounting. Keep your equipment well maintained. Think ahead. Always be thinking "what can I be doing to make things better?" Just take 15 minutes to brainstorm and write things down to help keep things organized.

Mark

justin_time
01-23-2010, 10:59 PM
If you get your flyers done up, you can check with Canada Post and indicate what postal codes you want THEM to deliver the flyers to. They do it. Yes there is a fee for them to do this, BUT you may decide that it is worth it to at least check into. A lot of posts on here suggest that people are concerned about the legalities of putting flyers in mail boxes etc. Plus, I think you have more important things to do to grow your business. Just my opinion.

My ex wife did this for a business she had with very good results.

He is a link to read about it from the Canada Post site.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/productsservices/marketing/unaddressedadmail.jsf

Hope this helps.

Mark

I've asked my local Canada Post about this and they are too small to do this service so it all depends how big of an area you live in

markty
01-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Yeah, at the time my ex did this we lived in a smaller, rural route delivery location, but I believe she took them to the next largest town about 50km away. They then handled the distribution to the smaller/local post office that my ex wanted targeted. But you may be right in your situation. I will have to ask my ex how she did that. I was a few years ago now.

Mark

VPS Lawn Care
01-24-2010, 12:33 PM
I am on the east coast also. I find the best time is at the start of Feb. I pick up alot of spring clean ups by doing so, I am in Florida, usally the get prices in Feb and schedule for March. GL

CHEESE2009
01-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Should a lawn care business owner be hitting the same houses multiple times or is once enough?

If the budget allows for it, it is highly recommended! Also a great time to test out a new flyer design. Maybe something was wrong with the first?!

People may have thrown out the flyer because it was not of importance to them at that time in their life. Doing a second pass around the start of the mowing season will probably grab their interest, now that they finally realize their grass is starting to turn out.

If they didn't just throw out the flyer due to the service not being important at the moment, & rather just through it out because they didn't like what they saw. Maybe the second batch of flyers can have a new look & better deal.

Maybe these people want to see what they would be paying monthly, though on your previous flyer you only put the annual cost, which is a large & scary number.

Steve
01-24-2010, 05:40 PM
You have to have the mindset that YOU have no competition. YOU are the best. Kill people with kindness. Customer service wins. Go the extra mile for folks. You don't HAVE to be everything to everyone.

Be organized with all aspects of your accounting. Keep your equipment well maintained. Think ahead. Always be thinking "what can I be doing to make things better?" Just take 15 minutes to brainstorm and write things down to help keep things organized.

Those are great thoughts!

What kinds of things do you feel you can do now with your lawn care business that you are the best and to make yourself stand out?

What would you say are the top 5 things a newer lawn care business should be writing down as they brain storm ideas?

legendlawn
01-24-2010, 10:00 PM
I hand out flyers year round... I just handed out some the other day. There was some snow on the ground, but it was a nice day. I have found that people hang onto them, then call when it gets closer to mowing season. Also, everybody with a lawn care business should read The Arborist's and Landscape Professionals Marketing Bible by: John P. Davis. I have made my entire 2010 marketing plan by what I have learned from this book.

Steve
01-24-2010, 10:47 PM
What lessons do you feel stood out that really helped your marketing plan this year?

legendlawn
01-25-2010, 12:41 PM
The book has many lessons, but I would say the one that stands out the most is to sale on value, not on price. This can be applied to all of his concepts like providing a guarantee in writing, how you deal with complaints, your sales process etc. That's another thing I learned is to have a sales procedure in writing. Have a written process with steps to follow from the time the potential client contacts you, to when you follow-up after completing the job. As far as the actual marketing goes the book taught me to use direct response marketing, which is always including an offer and a deadline for response. He also goes over the most effective ways to advertise in print, such as newspapers and yellow pages

Steve
01-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Have a written process with steps to follow from the time the potential client contacts you, to when you follow-up after completing the job.

Oh that is fascinating!

What kinds of steps to you suggest a lawn care business owner have in their written sales procedure?

legendlawn
01-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Step 1: Client Contacts us. Thank the client for contacting us Ask the client how they found out about us, so that you can track the cost effectiveness of your current marketing methods. Set up a time to meet with the client for bid proposal.

Step 2: Meet with client. Assess mowing, landscaping project, and/or current landscape management needs. set up a time to meet with the client in person to deliver the bid proposal. Put together new client package.

Step 3: Meet client in person to deliver bid proposal and new client package. New client package includes the proposal, our written guarantee, referrall program information, current and past newsletters, information and offers on other services.

Step 4: If client does not hire you on the spot have a follow-up letter postmarked within 24hours that: thanks them for giving you the oppurtunity to bid. reaffirms your key selling points, encourages them to call to schedule their mowing/project, and call with any questions.

Step 5: Schedule Job.

Step 6: If you are not going to be on the jobsite and it is a project rather than routine maintenace, make a job packet for your employees. The job packet should include: materials list, directions to jobsite, customer contact information, digital pics with directions such as move this tree, or leave this rock undisturbed etc.

Step 7: Complete Job

Step 8: Bill Client

Step 9: Send a thank you letter within 24 hours of the completion

Step 10: Follow up by phone 1-3 days after completion if you have not talked to client after completion

Steve
01-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Oh Logan, that is very interesting.

Step 4: If client does not hire you on the spot have a follow-up letter postmarked within 24hours that: thanks them for giving you the oppurtunity to bid. reaffirms your key selling points, encourages them to call to schedule their mowing/project, and call with any questions.

What is your view on the effectiveness of sending a letter in such a situation vs. calling them?

Step 9: Send a thank you letter within 24 hours of the completion

Would this be kept simple, like thank you for giving us the opportunity to work on your property, or something like that?

Step 10: Follow up by phone 1-3 days after completion if you have not talked to client after completion

I am guessing this would be more for larger projects to make sure they are satisfied and not with mowing jobs?

CHEESE2009
01-26-2010, 10:28 PM
My personal statistics; I have an error somewhere but I forgot how to read... :( Most of this is from memory & somewhat of a close estimation on a number I cannot share ;) .

Door to Door
0.005% are willing to hire per flyer.
0.001% of these people who don't hire you, will refer you to someone else.
You will need 7000 flyers, or 35,000 referrals from these people in order to gain 35 new customers.

This is the best way to go about retrieving customers over time & budget. Regardless of the stats.

Current Customers
0.2% will refer you to someone else.
You will need 175 referrals from your customers in order to gain 35 new customers.

The problem is that you need customers to make customers, which actually doesn't solve the problem. The benefits are it doesn't take any effort to do.

Card Placement
0.1% are willing to hire per card.
0.001% of these people who don't hire you, will refer you to someone else.
You will need to place 35,000 business cards in order to gain 35 new customers.
You will need 35,000 referrals from these people in order to gain 35 new clients.

Cards are expensive, though if you have a few to spare it will not hurt your business. Judge the convenient store owner carefully, as he may throw your cards away as soon as you leave. Basically we'll go 50/50 on this with the 0.1%.

Friends
0.13% are willing to hire.
0.33% of these people who do & don't hire you, will refer you to someone else.
You will need 269 friends in order to gain 35 new clients.
You will need 106 referrals from these people in order to gain 35 new clients.

Once you use up all your friends, you can't necessarily expand. The above doesn't include anything other then your actual friends, though you could go to a few gatherings to meet interested people "networking".

Internet
0.13% are willing to hire.
0% will refer you.
You will need 269 ads in order to gain 35 new clients.

There is no way to really judge any of the above, especially when it comes to placing internet ads. We do not know the exact time frame, luck seems to play a big role on this one.

PLEASE CHECK IF YOU ARE ABLE TO AGREE WITH THE ABOVE STATS.

0.1 x 30 cards placed out in May in one dep = 3 customers in the middle of May

Similar results???

GrassGuy309
01-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Sorry to have to say this but I cannot understand the math. The number
.001% actually means 1 out of 100,000. However, .1% means 1 out of 1,000 so I think this may be what you are going for? I am really interested in your statistics just a little confused on the numbers. Looking forward to reading your next post.

CHEESE2009
01-27-2010, 01:51 AM
Sorry to have to say this but I cannot understand the math. The number
.001% actually means 1 out of 100,000. However, .1% means 1 out of 1,000 so I think this may be what you are going for? I am really interested in your statistics just a little confused on the numbers. Looking forward to reading your next post.

If there is one thing you should know. I got 0's throughout my entire high school career.

I make my own math up! LOL

But no no. From what I presented, basically you put in your own information.

the percentages or either your marketing or amount of customers.

A better example:

0.1 x 30 cards placed out in May in one dep = 3 customers in the middle of May

In the beginning of lawn service & placing cards in convenient stores, I have only received 3 customers.

Usually I only put 30 cards in each store, & during this time - it was the only store I had put them.

So I pretended I knew how to "math" & figured out that .1 x 30 cards = 3 customers.

So for every 30 cards, I should expect 3 customers in theory.

So if you were to place business cards in a convenient store, remember how many you place, & how many customers you have received from it.

Then put my math to the test.

.1 x [how many cards you left in the store] = _____ customers... Now is this pretty much the truth? Did you actually receive _____ customers?

I'm trying to figure out if my % is lower or higher compared to others around the world.

One day, my math will make sense, LMAO.

Graduation, write what you want to be when you grow up & it will be in the year book.

Scott: I want to be a mailman, I can do a lot with the space in my mail truck.

Everyone else: Astronaut, Doctor, Lawyer, Pro Athlete, Teacher, etc

Nope, I wanted to be a mailman!

legendlawn
01-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Yes, I think it is better to send the letter after you bid, because you don't want the client to feel pressured. This is more of just a simple thank you, for giving us the oppurtunity to bid, with maybe a short inference to scheduling the job. When you call, it sounds alot more like you are trying to make a hard sell. Remember if you follow the steps of the procedure, you have already met the client in person twice. Once to assess the project, and again to deliver the proposal.
Yes, the thank you letter after completion is, short simple and to the point. I just have a template on my computer where I can plug in the clients address and send it off.
No, I would not reccomend calling the client and following up if it is a regular mowing client after every mowing. Just send them a thank you letter at the end of the season.

psparaco
01-27-2010, 01:07 PM
ok to clear up everyone's math. My dad made a point that i knew alot of math up to calculus. 0.1 = 1/10th, 0.01 = 1/100th, 0.001, 1/1000th, and so on.

Based on my experience last year which was door to door flyers in a mailbox with no interaction with my clients prior to them calling me. i achieved the following results:

first client i had for 3 years just cause she needed someone to cut her grass and i had a mower. i had a daytime job so landscaping wasnt even a dream at the time. When i lost my job. the following week i designed and printed out several flyers and drafted up a contract and browsed all over this awseome forum. Here are the results:

passed out 22 flyers on 04/09/09, 7 hired me. by the end of april.

7/22 = 31.8% clients gained
i had automatically 4 clients not included in those numbers. my parents, grandmother and mother in law. and the neighbor who hired me 3 years ago.

so total as of may 2009, 11 clients with total of 22 flyers passed out or a 50% gain

4 clients i gained between august to september from the existing clients. either they were neighbors or they saw me in the neighborhood.

On 09/09/09 i passed out 56 flyers in a neighbhood about a mile away. and about 2 weeks later i received calls and gained 8 more clients.
8/56 = 14.2% clients gained

my roster of clients was increased to 23.

In october of 2009. i posted an ad on my facebook wall and within 3 days. i had 1 client signed. someone i went to highschool with. and he is signed for this year. i also mowed his property twice b4 the end of the season.

so grand total i should have 24 clients however, 5 i lost. 1 moved, 1 failed to pay me in a timely manner and i dropped them and 1 bought their own mower and 2 were a one time service.

so close of 2009. i was sitting with 19 clients.

so end result

24 total clients for 2009
78 flyers passed out

19 out of 24 of them were flyers referrals which is 24% gain

4 referred from friends/saw me in neighborhood out of 24 total is 16% gain

1 internet referral out of 24 is 4% gain

overall 24 gained from 78 flyers is 30.7% gain not bad.

ok so i lost 5 due to various reasons. thats 20% of my roster i lost.

so far for 2010, i have posted advertisements on facebook, craigslist, on google itself. if you search for lawn care in my actually zipcode. my name comes up out of like 5. not many of us. I am holding out until end of february to pass out door to door flyers. i have surveryed several neighborhoods within 20 miles of my home. certain ones. and yes i counted every single home on google earth. I have round about total of 2500 flyers to produce and pass out. and thats if i get enough money to pass them out. to be safe i would like to make up 5000 flyers. My dad's is secretary of his lodge cause he is a mason. and he referred me to his printer he uses. they quoted me 99.95 for 5,000 copies. the best deal i found by far. there are a few other neighborhoods i intend to target for lawn care. I have 2 people willing to work for me. 1 i dont have to pay. my fiance. she has helped before and done an awesome job.

now if i end of passing out 2500 flyers and get another 30% gain. holy horny toads. i'd add 750 clients. i'd have to upscale my business hardcore. add 10-15 employees, 3 crews of 5, omg i'd be overwhelmed. but again this is all what if. not reality but my stats from last year proved to be impressive.

back to my total from last year 2009. 19 existing clients. 2 are single family homes, 17 are townhouses/rowhomes.

my goals for this year are as follows:

purchase a small trailer for my car and a hitch. definetely need that. a 32" walkbehind mower with a sulky cause as of now, 70% of my client base have gated backyards and nothing wider then 40 inches is getting through.

My current equipment is a weedeater 22 inch push mulching mower, gas trimmer, gas hand held blower, 200 foot of electric cord for my hedge trimmer, 22 inch wide gas powered snow blower and thats it. i was given another mower exactly identical to my current one, but its not worth crap other than parts. it has a bent blade, bent shaft. it cost more to fix then replace. so i am taking the wheels, and any other part off it to use as backup for my mower. i replaced the spark plug, air filters, etc. all the things recommended for a typical mower tune up. i have 2 blades. one to use as a backup. the 2 single fmaily homes i do is my parents and i use my dad's 32" rider mulching mower and their self propelled mower. i just need my trimmer and blower. I already spoke with my dad and in time i may have him trade that in so i can use the floor space to store a zero turn and/or a commericial walkbehind. i can already store my trailer in their driveway. and all other equipment in their shed thats large enough to use as a shop too. my biggest issue is earning enough money to pay for over half of this. which with my current roster and any additional clients i add. i should be able to have most of this by june 2010.

psparaco
01-27-2010, 01:28 PM
oh in regards to the other post on this topic. you should not need to visit the potential client more than twice. they call to ask about your service. you come out and perform an estimate. 95% of them should know right then and there if they want to hire you. either they do or don't. come back one more time to go over the contract and sign it and to call them at a later date if in off season or that night to set up a day to schedule their weekly service. like me. i carry with me several blank contracts. so if they decide to hire me. i can kill 2 birds with 1 stone and save everyone time and money (gas) so do estimate and sign contract on the spot. any other time to see them is to collect money and/or service their yard. as i have learned on here. if its in season and ur schedule is free from other scheduled appointments. bring your equipment with you always. then you do an estimate. they say i want to hire u for the season. they hand me cash for the first mow. i do it. then prebill them for the rest of the month. no need to send a thankyou letter. if you shook their hand in person. its more personal to do that i think. i thank each time i see them and collect money. i also thank them the last mow of the season and find out if they need me for the following year. now i plan to send out a welcome letter to my existing clients welcoming them back this year and calling them to schedule a time to meet to go over some changes to my contract i revised over the winter. the changes are minor dealing with billing. have them sign the revised contract and thats it. as of thankyous for a bid. thats commercial. residential you dont seriously need all that i think in my eyes.

Steve
01-27-2010, 09:26 PM
passed out 22 flyers on 04/09/09, 7 hired me. by the end of april.

7/22 = 31.8% clients gained
i had automatically 4 clients not included in those numbers. my parents, grandmother and mother in law. and the neighbor who hired me 3 years ago.

So often we see less than a 1% response rate. What do you think attributed to such a high response rate in this case?

And we should point out that it was a smart move of you to get your family members as clients. Marketing to your social network is very important.

psparaco
01-27-2010, 11:35 PM
So often we see less than a 1% response rate. What do you think attributed to such a high response rate in this case?

And we should point out that it was a smart move of you to get your family members as clients. Marketing to your social network is very important.

refer to this post. the answer to your question should be answered in the book I wrote there. .. http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=63680&posted=1#post63680

Steve
01-28-2010, 02:47 AM
That made sense and it's brilliant!

Do you think other lawn care business owners in other areas should be looking for similar situations?

How should they go about finding them?

psparaco
01-28-2010, 10:12 AM
That made sense and it's brilliant!

Do you think other lawn care business owners in other areas should be looking for similar situations?

How should they go about finding them?

That's the easy part. Goto Rent.com or forrent.com and research all rental townhomes in your area. Chances are their tenants are responsible to maintain their own lawn in their lease. you would need to call each leasing office and verify if you were to move in, if you need to maintain your lawn or if they have a private landscaper who maintains all the properties at no charge to the tenant. Then go out to that area and distribute flyers in everyone's door. and wait for the tenants to call you.

apparently thats harder then i thought. i just called 5 other rental communities and evry single one... the tenant is not responsible for their lawns. the landlord is. completely different where i am. maybe this area is a diamond in the rough deal.and i am sitting on a gold mine. lucky me. another easy residential property to do or check in on is trailer parks. smaller yards and most shouldnt take you longer than 10 minutes each to do. you could knock out 5 on a street in an hour. thats about target area on my radar this year. So far i have 600 townhomes, 2200 trailers in 5 trailer parks to market and 2 single family home areas with about 400-800 homes. i may expand faster then i anticipate.

Steve
01-28-2010, 11:36 AM
i may expand faster then i anticipate.

I am thinking this is going to be a great year for you!

legendlawn
01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
If it is just mowing I give the customer the quote on the spot if they are home. If it is more than mowing, and I need to figure material costs etc. I set up a time to deliver the proposal. The point is to require the client to meet you in person when you give the proposal, whether it is right then or at a second date, but do not give the client the estimate over the phone, or in the mail. Also, as I stated above I send the regular clients a thank you letter at the end of the year, not after every mowing, or monthly etc. This is all out of the book by John P. Davis. His tree care business is very successful and reputable in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas area, so this guy knows what he's doing, and these principles are proven to work. Check out his website: jdavistreecare.com very impressive

Steve
01-28-2010, 10:23 PM
The point is to require the client to meet you in person when you give the proposal, whether it is right then or at a second date, but do not give the client the estimate over the phone, or in the mail.

That makes sense, but sometimes we see situations where a commercial client wants the bid mailed to an address. Have you ever been in such a situation? What is the best way to handle that?

Also when you present the bid in person, do you go through each part of the bid and why the cost is what it is? Or do you let the customer look at it and then you might ask at the end if they have any questions?

How much of a presentation goes on and how much of getting the bid comes down to the sales performance you can put on during the presentation?

psparaco
01-30-2010, 01:22 AM
ok I have a question in regards to marketing and striping. I have never done striping before but have done tons and tons of research on it from how to do it, how to make a push mower homemade striper, etc. Should i put on my flyer that i can do striping for lawns on request or just do it when i do a lawn? I am not sure if this is something that potential customers would have a clue what the hect i am talking about. for those of you here who do striping. Is this something you do on every one of your client's lawns? Also in making a homemade striping kit for my mower. Which is better... A galvanized pipe with pebbles or Quick dry cement? or a pvc pipe with pebbles or quick dry cement? common sense tells me 2 things a metal pipe galvanized or not will rust through oxydation but would provide a heavier more defined stripe. A pvc pipe would weigh less but be more durable. if in the event a pvc pipe contacted ur blade for some retarded reason. u'd cut the pipe in half. the metal pipe would mess ur blade or bend it. I plan to which ever i install to the debris flap, attach a rigged up pulley system that would allow me to raise and lower it to allow me to back up and such. i also thought of jimmy rigging it so i could adjust the amount of pressure it applies to the lawn to adapt to different turf types. or if i was really creative. Design some sort of switch attached to the rear wheels that when it senses the mower going in reverse , it automatically lifts the weight. with a manual override and another feature that when the mower is shut off, its puts the weight in the storage position and when you start the mower, it drops the weight but i think i am just over thinking a simple thing. here i go with my engineering brain again lol.

Next question. I have read that a typical homemade striper should be atleast 2-6" diameter pipe. of course the thicker the diameter. the great the volume of material you can put in it. how much weight is seriously needed to get good striping?

Example A

A 1" diameter pipe at 24 inches would hold 75 cubic inches of material
-135 lbs/cf (cubic foot) of cement at the above volume would weigh 1.40 lbs
-95 lbs/cf of earth at the above volume would weigh 0.98 lbs
-120 lbs/cf of gravel with sand at the above volume would weigh 1.25 lbs

Example B

A 2" diameter pipe at 24 inches would hold 75 cubic inches of material
-135 lbs/cf of cement at the above volume would weigh 5.85 lbs
-95 lbs/cf of earth at the above volume would weigh 4.13 lbs
-120 lbs/cf of gravel with sand at the above volume would weigh 5.21 lbs

Example C ( seems too large for a push mower or riding mower)

A 4" diameter pipe at 24 inches would hold 302 cubic inches of material
-135 lbs/cf of cement at the above volume would weigh 23.59 lbs
-95 lbs/cf of earth at the above volume would weigh 16.60 lbs
-120 lbs/cf of gravel with sand at the above volume would weigh 20.97 lbs

These calculation does not include the weight of the pipe itself empty and assembled depending on its material (pvc or metal).

Ok i bored you all with math enough tonight. Any help with my questions would be appreciated.

Paul

Steve
01-30-2010, 10:14 PM
ok I have a question in regards to marketing and striping. I have never done striping before but have done tons and tons of research on it from how to do it, how to make a push mower homemade striper, etc. Should i put on my flyer that i can do striping for lawns on request or just do it when i do a lawn? I am not sure if this is something that potential customers would have a clue what the hect i am talking about. for those of you here who do striping. Is this something you do on every one of your client's lawns?

Let me add a thought to this question and I hope others can add their view on the other.

From those I have seen who do stripe the lawns, they promote something to the effect of making your lawn look like a ballfield with the deep stripes. They tend to show pictures of what the lawns look like after they mow.

I think if you can do it, you should because it will certainly stands out from other lawns in your area. It's by standing out that people will be inclined to ask the home owner, who services their lawn.

Making all your lawns stand out, makes you stand out and that should bring you in a lot more business.

legendlawn
01-31-2010, 07:58 PM
If its a commercial client, and they want the bid mailed, or whatever, I just do whatever they ask. Commercial bids are so cut throat that you want to do everything under the sun to oblige anything they ask when giving a bid. On the residential I just give them the bid and let them review it, then ask if they have any questions. But yes, to answer your question the whole purpose of delivering it in person is the presentation. Here is the scenario: I show up at the prospects home. My truck is clean. I am dressed well and professional. I take my time assessing the property and write up a professional proposal, and leave it on the door for when they get home. Another guy shows up to give a competing bid. They drive up with a truck that is rattling, the fenders are about to fall off. They stumble out of the door with a ciggarette hanging out of their mouth, beer on their breath, and their shirt undone. But you know what? They write up a proposal and leave it also, and when the client gets home what do they see. Two pieces of paper, and they will go on price every single time instead of value.

Steve
02-01-2010, 12:37 AM
They write up a proposal and leave it also, and when the client gets home what do they see. Two pieces of paper, and they will go on price every single time instead of value.

That is a very good point! When all you have is those two pieces of paper, ultimately all you have to compare is price. So that is where being in person and using your sales skills comes into play.

These calculation does not include the weight of the pipe itself empty and assembled depending on its material (pvc or metal).

Ok i bored you all with math enough tonight. Any help with my questions would be appreciated.

I dont know but I think it would be great to experiment with.