PDA

View Full Version : Pre-emergent weed control marketing

VSeefeld
01-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Folks-

We've finally had some freezing temps in Galveston County, TX! I'm not a big fan of cold but am hoping the freeze will put a dent in the crabgrass infestation in the area. While the mowing is at a standstill for the next month, I'd like to market pre-emergent weed control applications. I believe there is a good market with the past summers' crabgrass battle fresh on everyone's mind.

Much of the research I've found indicates early Februay to mid March for southern gulf coastal areas. With the humidity, rare winter weather and early spring I'm going to recommend application of a time released weed or weed/feed mid to late February. This may seem early to most but we rarely have more than 10-20 days of temps below freezing all winter and that's only during the night. That's right, the grass will be greening up very soon. Also, with the economy many of our clients prefer a 1 time application rather than the expense of a weed pre-emergent now and follow up with a fertilizer in a few weeks.

Does anyone market for pre-emergent weed or weed & feed control? I'd love to see some flyer samples if any are available. I couldn't find any topic specific forms in the marketing templates section:(

Thanks!

Steve
01-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Much of the research I've found indicates early Februay to mid March for southern gulf coastal areas.

This is when you are planning on doing your pre-emergent application? That's amazing how close it is.

When are you planning on getting your marketing material out? How will you be distributing it?

swstout
01-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Folks-

We've finally had some freezing temps in Galveston County, TX! I'm not a big fan of cold but am hoping the freeze will put a dent in the crabgrass infestation in the area. While the mowing is at a standstill for the next month, I'd like to market pre-emergent weed control applications. I believe there is a good market with the past summers' crabgrass battle fresh on everyone's mind.

Much of the research I've found indicates early Februay to mid March for southern gulf coastal areas. With the humidity, rare winter weather and early spring I'm going to recommend application of a time released weed or weed/feed mid to late February. This may seem early to most but we rarely have more than 10-20 days of temps below freezing all winter and that's only during the night. That's right, the grass will be greening up very soon. Also, with the economy many of our clients prefer a 1 time application rather than the expense of a weed pre-emergent now and follow up with a fertilizer in a few weeks.

Does anyone market for pre-emergent weed or weed & feed control? I'd love to see some flyer samples if any are available. I couldn't find any topic specific forms in the marketing templates section:(

Thanks!

Your grass may go dormant, but crabgrass dowsn't unless the roots freeze. The leaves probably will die off and pre-emergent control is a good solution. I get mine from www.ictorganics.com (http://www.ictorganics.com/).

As for fertilization, it cam be mixed and applied at the same time using liquid fert. http://www.natureslawn.com.

Their product line is excellent and easy to use.

Steve

VSeefeld
01-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Plan to have flyers ready to go in the next 1-2 weeks. Will begin marketing with door to door and posting in local stores. Flyers will also be hand delivered to current clients, providing the opportunity to upsell. Just need to put together the flyer...any samples targeting weed/feed services out there???
Thanks!

Steve
01-20-2010, 01:19 PM
What points would you want to hit with the flyer? I will look to see if there is something that can be cobbled together.

VSeefeld
01-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Would include some or all of the following: weed pre-emergent, prevent weeds from taking over this spring/summer, crabgrass pre-emergent, post-emergent treatments available, lush green lawn, prepare lawn now for hot summer days (we had a huge drought last summer), fertilize, possibly spring/summer schedule, and note additional services offered. 2 goals - to get attention/drum up business now and get folks thinking about/planning the next few months.
Thanks!
Virginia

turfmaster
01-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Your grass may go dormant, but crabgrass dowsn't unless the roots freeze. The leaves probably will die off and pre-emergent control is a good solution. I get mine from www.ictorganics.com (http://www.ictorganics.com/).

As for fertilization, it cam be mixed and applied at the same time using liquid fert. http://www.natureslawn.com.

Their product line is excellent and easy to use.

Steve

Steve, Have you tried ictorganics 1 2 3 compost tea for fertilization?
Cost wise it seems to be cheaper than natures Lawn at about $30.0 an acre.
Of course i'm probably comparing apples to oranges here.

swstout
01-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Steve, Have you tried ictorganics 1 2 3 compost tea for fertilization?
Cost wise it seems to be cheaper than natures Lawn at about $30.0 an acre.
Of course i'm probably comparing apples to oranges here.

No, I have not tried that. Question, does it build soil, build humus, does it help with aeration?

Steve