PDA

View Full Version : Networking/Marketing & Capital

picframer
01-18-2010, 04:29 PM
I had to go for a hair cut today and have been going to the same barber for at least 12 years, although less frequent.

I mentioned the other day it came to me this would be a great place to network, I found it funny today a sign on the wall read "If you really want to know what's going on with the economy, ask your barber" so I did and man we all got an ear full...lol

My time in the chair, Buddy (his real name) asks, Andy, where ya been lately??? I reply well searching. He said searching for what? Perfect here is my day in the hot seat, additional services that my yard care and excavation company could offer that people might need, now there is about 8 guys waiting and all the target age group. It turns out I offer all the services now that the room came up with, so one old guy says well, how come you don't have cards here??? Excellent idea I said, Buddy why don't you have a rack or display? He said you own a woodworking company, build one and you are free to place it on my counter. Excellent I thought, free advertising. Great discussion about business, growing etc.

Next stop was to the Government Office as I wanted to see what grants were available for business expansion, advertising and training new staff, all in all I can get about $30,000 however they only pay 50% so if I spend $10,000 I can qualify for up to $5,000, it's all pre approved so something for you folks to look into and for our members in Quebec and Ontario, there are even more programs available.

Anyhow, take it for what it's worth, just a few ideas for you to consider.

Steve
01-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Those are some very interesting thoughts.

What if you could get a business card display rack and put it at a few places where you frequent.

Tell the owner they can put what ever cards in there they want and they could even charge $x per month for others to display them, but you just want the first slot to keep your cards in.

Do you think something like this would be worth it?

Especially at a place like a barber shop or a diner?

http://www.adpockets.com/
http://www.adpockets.com/images/all-business-card-displays-.jpg

picframer
01-18-2010, 07:08 PM
I think it's an excellent idea, I have my rack for the barber shop ready and will drop it off in the morning as I have to get a load of exotic woods that have arrived.

We see these racks above in your post in Airports, Shopping Centres etc. I don't think there is a charge but I have no idea.

I made my stand to hold my Lawn Mowing and Spraying postcard, simple reason is his average customer is 55 to 60, and he is located in an area that would be considered older, middle to upper middle class, my target market and the area although in the city is in a section that is very easy to get to and lots of parking for 20 square blocks.

Just doing this as a test, it may be nothing or it might kick the lawn care up a notch.

I think I will do this at a few barber shops in the area we do most of our excavation and Landscaping work however I will focus on excavation and wood cutting/chipping postcards as that is the number 1 demand, maybe pressure washing.

Anyhow there is a saying by a company that gives away points "The best things in life are free" it's free and worth a try and it fits the profile that I go after.

Steve
01-18-2010, 07:18 PM
I have my rack for the barber shop ready and will drop it off in the morning

What size is it and how many cards does it hold? Do you have a pic of it? Will it need to be mounted on the wall or sit on a table top?