PDA

View Full Version : Are You an Fasebook?

arthur712
01-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Here is mine!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/mytakeacard?ref=sgm

The Cleaning Doctor
01-17-2010, 10:57 PM
I am

Here is mine

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Clarksville-TN/The-Cleaning-Doctor/325036755073?v=wall

Steve
01-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Have you found facebook worthwhile for promoting your business?

justin_time
01-18-2010, 12:15 AM
http://www.facebook.com/JustinTimeYardServices

picframer
01-18-2010, 07:06 AM
Have you found face book worthwhile for promoting your business?

Two things IMHO we have to look at, what is our market, Take My Business Card is world wide so it is probably a good idea and if you look at the stats below, it may attract many younger students wanting to start a summer business as it's a great advertising idea.

For Lawn Care and yes I am on face book, for where I live I don't think it's worth the effort, look at the age group of users, my target age group where we do very well dollar wise is just too small.

I mainly use Face book to stay in contact with friends I have met from around the world, check in and see how they are doing etc.

The Cleaning Doctor
01-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Facebook is one of many tools. I post on Facebook and it automatically sends a tweet through Twitter and twitter updates the LinkedIn account. If I do something on YouTube I have it set to post on Facebook and that starts the chain all over again.

Does my target use it? probably not but it does give you links to your site. I have also had someone find me by following the links from linkedin to twitter to facebook and then to my web site.

Like I said it is one tool and if used correctly can assist in moving up your site in the search results.

Steve
01-18-2010, 12:54 PM
For Lawn Care and yes I am on face book, for where I live I don't think it's worth the effort, look at the age group of users, my target age group where we do very well dollar wise is just too small.

Andy, what is your view on the best way to figure out your ideal customer age demographics? Once a lawn care business owner were to figure that out, they could then compare it to that chart you posted.

Facebook is one of many tools. I post on Facebook and it automatically sends a tweet through Twitter and twitter updates the LinkedIn account.

There seem to be a bunch of software programs that can take one update and populate it across many of your social networking sites.

When it does this though, all the sites have the same material and it makes me wonder, how does that effect search engine rankings? Is it possible these pages won't rank because the content will be the same?

picframer
01-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Andy, what is your view on the best way to figure out your ideal customer age demographics? Once a lawn care business owner were to figure that out, they could then compare it to that chart you posted.

There seem to be a bunch of software programs that can take one update and populate it across many of your social networking sites.

When it does this though, all the sites have the same material and it makes me wonder, how does that effect search engine rankings? Is it possible these pages won't rank because the content will be the same?

My personal target market is 45+ for a host of reasons, based on my banking experience and stats Canada, they own their home, kids have or are close to moving out, have far more disposable income than the average person 30 to 44. I have see this to be very true last year, our average customer age would be mid 50's, we might have completed 6 out of 270 jobs for someone under 45, and almost all of those were post holes for a fence or deck.

Steve
01-18-2010, 05:21 PM
When a lawn care business owner is trying to figure out their target customer age group, should they simply look at their current customer base and average out their ages or would this not be an accurate way of figuring out who they SHOULD be targeting?

picframer
01-18-2010, 06:44 PM
When a lawn care business owner is trying to figure out their target customer age group, should they simply look at their current customer base and average out their ages or would this not be an accurate way of figuring out who they SHOULD be targeting?

Depends as every city is different.

We have one area where the super rich live in the city so age doesn't matter

We have another area, this is the two mile long road I spoke of, all private gated subdivisions with 5 to 9 homes, generally an acre each, age doesn't matter.

Now my barber shop is different, it's older people so they are my target market.

Where we do excavation is 45 to 55 so that is my target for excavation.

It's hard to nail down, if I only did lawn care services, I would go after two groups, older people and for whatever in my city they are in various areas but the age groups are the same, even my street we are all 45 to 50 around 12 homes.

But if you take me into a subdivision that is known to be people that are rich, then the whole area is my market.

Steve
01-18-2010, 07:42 PM
That's a good point. So when trying to focus on an ideal customer, income should be above any sort of age range target.

picframer
01-18-2010, 07:53 PM
That's a good point. So when trying to focus on an ideal customer, income should be above any sort of age range target.

Actually you made a good point in your question that made me think, maybe that is why some have issues collecting, they are after the wrong group, I have no idea.

It's expensive to do excavation, landscaping etc. so I target the ones that can afford it, same as the older group, I know they are middle to upper middle, I do not even bother with fixed income, I don't have time to bicker on prices or try to collect.

Steve
01-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Actually you made a good point in your question that made me think, maybe that is why some have issues collecting, they are after the wrong group, I have no idea.

That's what I was wondering too. Just because we have a certain group we service, does that make them our target audience?

We could be getting bad to fair results from one target audience and constantly be kicking ourselves wishing our business was better.

When in the bigger picture we really should be targeting a totally different group and from them we would get much better results.

The problem though is all too often, we are willing to limp along, as long as the business is staying even a tiny bit above water. We can do this for years and years. Maybe even decades. Over time, our ambition tends to dull and we get stuck in a daily routine. As all this goes on, we experiment less.

Then it's not until we can no longer pay our bills that we frantically look for a way to solve the problem, usually by making major changes that are no where near what we should be changing. And usually with that we find disastrous results.

Instead, if we experimented along the way, we might have found a lot more success with a different customer base. With that success we might have felt a desire to push forwards and find even further success and experiment even more.

So that's the question, are we serving a customer base we should be serving and how do we know for sure?