PDA

View Full Version : SnapNWin (marketting)

CHEESE2009
01-15-2010, 01:21 PM
So I got this thing in the mail from a pizza place, "Pizza Pizza" I'm sure you have one in your town.

I thought it was pretty cool, I saw a link to http://www.snapnwin.com/

that's where (apparently) many companies get these made.

It's pretty interesting, it got my attention!

Lol, I sound like I'm advertising their site...

Anyway, I want to describe it, but I suck at describing. It's more than just a magnet pretty much.

You snap the magnet out of it's backing, & on the backing it says a message (which is hidden unless you snap out the magnet) so people become curious - like me, & the client is left with a nice magnet.

... I through the magnet out though, I mean, I have the pizza places number in my phone lol...

THOUGH, for lawn maintenance, a magnet would be KEY. Clients want to keep in touch with us. Every time I call them, they ask for my number again & again! Business cards often get lost, I suppose.

I have like 30 business cards from different places taped to my wall, but I guess my customers aren't as psycho as me.

Steve
01-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Here is an image.

So the oval part is the magnet?

Have you asked them how much it costs to get them made?

http://www.snapnwin.com/gallery/Fgallery1-3.jpg

CHEESE2009
01-15-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm scared to ask haha!

Considering how expensive business cards are, & magnets are usually a ton more expensive....

And they only sell at a minimum of 1000 "magnet things" & up.

Hmmm.

I already got my business cards made, once I've used half of them, I'll give these guys a call.

Just wanna make every nickle count lol.

I think my heart will break if people were to throw these out, they are magnets man $$$$$! LOL

Steve
01-15-2010, 04:57 PM
I can't remember the last time I threw out a magnet. I don't care what's on it. I tend to keep everything with magnets on them.

I bet a lot of people are like that :eek:

picframer
01-15-2010, 07:15 PM
I can't remember the last time I threw out a magnet. I don't care what's on it. I tend to keep everything with magnets on them.

I bet a lot of people are like that :eek:

And that is why I give them to customers that we plow snow for or especially one off's and they do pay off and not that expensive, mine are a business card size or a little smaller, $15.99 Canadian for 25. Which IMHO is cheap and Steve is right, people don't throw them out generally, not even me, I have a ton of fridge maganets from various companies....Here is ours

Steve
01-15-2010, 08:50 PM
or especially one off's

What do you mean?

picframer
01-15-2010, 10:28 PM
What do you mean?

You are my customer and I keep you plowed out, Breeze comes out one day and sees a foot of snow and here I am next door, Breeze says can you come over and plow me out, we ask one question, do you want us back every storm or just this once, in either case they will get a maganet. Or maybe one of the guys is driving and a prospect flags them down, I let the guys quote all these jobs, my operating cost is about $2.90 an hour for tractors plowing all in plus salary so they can't really screw up that bad.

But if Breeze said just this storm for now, we consider them one off's

Forgot same for mowing, you and your wife are going away this summer for three weeks, we will look after your lawn while you are gone. We consider these one off's but we keep track and will ask if you want us back again this summer. I get this a lot from Navy folks that are going to be gone for a few weeks or months.

Steve
01-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Oh I get it :)

In such situations do you offer any inducements to get them to sign up for the entire season or no?

picframer
01-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Oh I get it :)

In such situations do you offer any inducements to get them to sign up for the entire season or no?

No, never have and I doubt I ever will, my rate is my rate and we stick to our guns.

One of the guys made more money last storm pulling cars, trucks and trucks with plows out of the ditch then he did plowing, and yes we are insured to do this. it was deep heavy snow and the four wheel drives were having serious issues, the tractors play in these conditions like a kid plays in snow. This is a service I never thought to offer. Tow trucks take hours as they want to focus on traffic accidents where they make big bucks, I don't, I want the local stuff where the guys are driving by anyhow so now every tractor has a tow strap, even our smallest unit will pull a 350 series out as all the tractors have back hoe's on for weight and in case they get stuck.

If it's severe conditions, it takes 20 min per tractor to put pick or what we call V Bar chains on, they would tear the pavement up before they would spin, all but one driveway we do is gravel so it's not an issue and if pavement on a roak gets torn pulling someone out, the pot hole crews at the city can deal with it in the spring.

They are made for this kind of work, a truck is not and I don't care what anyone says, I have to many friends that own dealerships or are service managers, their clients are lucky to get three seasons out of the trucks, it's desperate hard work, tractors are made to do hard work, I am staying under the radar on this one using tractors.

I did a job for the city last night, first snow removal for the city, one of their big trucks did a Cul de sac wrong and blocked some condo parking garages and they needed a loader, three other companies they had on the list above me didn't show as it was a very small job. I showed up, he said the city will pay you for two hours for this one plus your travel time which was one hour total, I did it in 1 hr 10 min, called the city supervisor and he came back, he said he was shocked I did that much that fast and I was going to the top of his list.

You see sometimes we have to loose to win, I didn't loose anything and no I didn't really want to go out last night but I did want to get in their good books and higher on the pecking order for year three when we start going more commercial.

picframer
01-16-2010, 08:09 AM
I may have to re think my equipment no purchase for 2010 as the city just called again, I would not have had a lot of use for this unit below in 2009 as it's too big for a customers property however I have about 80 hours seat time on them at Demo's for deer. These things have an amazing top speed to get around the city and Deere has a demo in Halifax that I am picking up in an hour to take to this other job as I guess it's quite a bit bigger than the one I did last night, this is a 244J Loader, the smallest of the Deere high speed loader family, four wheel drive and you can lock up the front and rear so that all tires have to spin, and yes she takes chains also.

The cost is steep but if this keeps up it would be worth it and I could probably find some uses for it this coming summer on large excavation jobs, I am serious this thing will go just about anywhere and I have really put it to the test at Deere's request.

The one in this image is three years old, you should see the 2010's, even this one to me is a Cadillac but the 2010 is the Ferrari...:)

picframer
01-16-2010, 08:12 AM
I found the 2010

Steve
01-16-2010, 12:44 PM
That is a nice piece of equipment. How would that compare with the tractors you have now? I know it is physically bigger but is the bucket that much bigger to justify it's cost? Plus is it designed for only one use? Could a larger tractor be more helpful?

I did a job for the city last night, first snow removal for the city, one of their big trucks did a Cul de sac wrong and blocked some condo parking garages and they needed a loader, three other companies they had on the list above me didn't show as it was a very small job.

I bet there are other readers on here wondering how the heck they could get on a list of people to be called for such situations. What should they be doing to get the word out on this service especially with the town?

picframer
01-16-2010, 04:01 PM
That is a nice piece of equipment. How would that compare with the tractors you have now? I know it is physically bigger but is the bucket that much bigger to justify it's cost? Plus is it designed for only one use? Could a larger tractor be more helpful?

I bet there are other readers on here wondering how the heck they could get on a list of people to be called for such situations. What should they be doing to get the word out on this service especially with the town?

Well a tractor probably has a top speed in my case of 25 mph, this unit will go close to 50 mph and it will lift to about 16 feet, I can only lift about 12, the one I used today had a four yard bucket, basically four bucket loads is a tandem truck full, the tractors biggest bucket is 1/2 yard.

Contact the following if your city is set up like mine and probably is:

Bus Stops - Metro Transit Procurement Dept

Fire Hydrants - City Water Commission Procurement Dept

Sidewalks - Public Works Procurement Dept.

Have to be a registered company not only within the Province (State) you have to be registered with CCRA same as the IRS, have 3 million in Insurance and three references, bunch of paperwork but it pays, a few more storms and we will be called out to do Hydrants and Bus Stops.

I understand it's one city but typical government, you have to contact every friggin dept.

Anyhow had an amazing day, made close to a grand gross at very little cost.

As for the purchase....dunno....this unit is $94,000 and would have limited use for me.

Readers are probably wondering why I don't get a Skid Steer, personally I think they are dangerous for staff to learn and at least here they have to be certified, I demo them but I still don't like them, very rough ride and you can upset one in a heart beat.

Steve
01-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Would larger tractors have larger buckets? Would they be better than a skid steer?

picframer
01-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Would larger tractors have larger buckets? Would they be better than a skid steer?

They do however you can't get the speed on the road that you need granted in the city it would not matter so much and I could leave a larger tractor parked at Deere and a tractor would allow more attachments, at this point it's just an idea, I will probably not run with it.

My main reason is weight, I am really limited as to how big a tractor I can use on a clients property as almost all of our clients have septic fields so my 749 is about the biggest I can go.

If I were to get a mall lot I would buy the 244J or if I could get the city to pay a monthly stand by fee which will never happen, other issue in my case is I can't salt, I have to take out seperate environmental insurance and trust me it's expensive. I know dozens salt and sand without this insurance but once again I have too much to loose to be doing anything I am not insured for, that is the words of my lawyer who is also a business partner in two other companies we own.

These are the biggest tractor I can take on a clients property that has a septic field, one is my 790 and one is a 3032SE, very powerful tractors.

Steve
01-16-2010, 10:58 PM
So does the speed become a factor if you want to drive the piece of equipment to the customer's location? Is that where it is important?

Then you wouldn't have to haul it?

picframer
01-16-2010, 11:15 PM
So does the speed become a factor if you want to drive the piece of equipment to the customer's location? Is that where it is important?

Then you wouldn't have to haul it?

No it's the weight, the 790 would go around 3,200 pounds, add to that a bucket full of top soil at around 1,000 pounds or more and you are already over the safe limit to cross a septic field and the last thing I need is to be repairing a field we damaged due to weight, it's something we watch very close.

Steve
01-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Oh I meant when you said

These things have an amazing top speed to get around the city

I didn't know if you could drive these things to the customer's location or you had to haul them there on a trailer.

I don't know the rules for driving these on the street.

picframer
01-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Oh I meant when you said

I didn't know if you could drive these things to the customer's location or you had to haul them there on a trailer.

I don't know the rules for driving these on the street.

All of my tractor's with loaders are street legal and have plates and insurance ($1,250.00 fine without) however it would take to long to get to a job site driving so we float them, as I mentioned in another post we bought another trailer that is almost 20 feet long that will allow me to take an excavator and a loader at the same time, 100% of our excavation jobs require both so we should save a lot of time and fuel. I don't have any trucks big enough to pull both so I have a contract with two towing companies, one for a backup to move my trailers with the equipment and when I have to do this I will just increase my bid, if it works well I may never buy a 350 series truck as it's simply a lot cheaper to have another company worry about maintenance, cost, insurance etc.

The 244J Pay loader would be driven, that thing is desperate heavy, I doubt a 350 series would pull it, I know Deere Floats them using a transport with a flatbed.

Steve
01-17-2010, 12:57 PM
The 244J Pay loader would be driven, that thing is desperate heavy, I doubt a 350 series would pull it, I know Deere Floats them using a transport with a flatbed.

And then all of a sudden you find yourself in need of a flatbed to transport your equipment. I bet that would be quite an expense!

picframer
01-17-2010, 02:44 PM
And then all of a sudden you find yourself in need of a flatbed to transport your equipment. I bet that would be quite an expense!

Yes and I would be playing in the sand box of the big guys and I don't want to go there either, I think we will just keep things as is and do the jobs we can which are many and accept there are some that we have to pass on as hard as it may be.