PDA

View Full Version : Virus

picframer
01-15-2010, 10:17 AM
First off I would encourage everyone to back their system up at least once a week, an external hard drive is cheap.

While driving this morning I received an email from UPS stating basically they had tried to deliver a package but were not successful and here is your tracking number which looked legit and attached are the details where you can pick your package up.

Two problems in my case, I didn't order anything and there are stickers on my front door for Federal Express, UPS, Puralator and DHL authorizing a door with no signature, I signed up for this months ago as I am not home much April to November.

So I called UPS and sure enough it's a new virus that will wipe your system in seconds, he went on to say this email is being sent from what appears to be all courier companies.

So a heads up, Call before you open the attachment to make sure it's legit or you are in for one major headache until the Anti Virus companies get a block in place.

Steve
01-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Was this a link or was it an attachment in your email that was the potential trouble maker?

picframer
01-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Was this a link or was it an attachment in your email that was the potential trouble maker?

It's an attachment that looks like a PDF which is why so many company employees were/are falling for it, from talking to IT staff at another company I own a small part of, you have to reformat your hard drive and if you are lucky it might work again but they were saying it is pretty nasty.

Steve
01-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Oh! Thanks for the heads up! That is pretty nasty!

I found more about this here.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/ups.asp

picframer
01-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Oh! Thanks for the heads up! That is pretty nasty!

I found more about this here.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/ups.asp

Yes that is the wording and I suspect this new thing is a copy cat of some sort, what is interesting to me is how much the attachment logo looked like a PDF file but I received it on my Blackberry as I was out at the time and how would UPS get my email address in the first place.

Anyhow I guess the point here is to make backup's on an external drive or memory stick on a regular basis.

I know this hit one of my suppliers in the states as he called me this afternoon, we have become great friends exchanging ideas outside the box and he was having a real bad day after this which is why I received the call, wiped their entire system in seconds and they are a pretty big company however they have backups but what a pain.