View Full Version : to be legal

01-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Hi my name is jeff have not been on for a while. I live in pa around the state college area penn state college for who not familiar. This is the year i want to start a lawncare service and i need to know what i need legaly to start biz license, and what is the deal with the numbers on the truck and how much does this cost is this a registration. where is the best place to get insured any recomendations. I just want to get my ducks in a row so i do not have to look back and say shiot. If anyone on this site is from the pa and know the laws i would apreciate help

01-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Are you going to register as a (DBA) or incorporate?

As far as the truck numbers go, I am not sure. Are they pesticide license numbers? Maybe dot numbers?

01-16-2010, 08:01 AM
http://www.middletowntownship.org/vertical/Sites/%7BE08CD8FE-6BF2-4104-AF8F-C16770381A63%7D/uploads/%7B8EFEA113-F871-445F-AB4A-C1A67F5A2234%7D.PDF I THINK THIS IS WHAT I MEAN I AM NOT SURE. It says landscaper some exclusions. I have seen these numbers popping up on landscaper truck in my area and i think i do not need it now since i have made no previous revenue last year. I have a small nursery going with about 2000 plants mostly grasses. I sent a email to one of my state reps who has helped me out before i hope he gets back. Yes a state rep that does his job who know? I do not know yet how i am filing my biz DBA or incorporate. YOU have a great site here and i hope to contribute to it more thanks :Djeff:D

01-16-2010, 11:47 AM
From that pdf it says

Landscape contractors (some excluded activities)

LOL Why not list the excluded activities!

I bet if you are mowing, it's excluded. But I would think to be on the safe side, they would need to be contacted for further information.

Keep us posted on what you find. I am sure others are in the same boat.

01-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Call your local state thay will send you a PAC with all that is needed you will need retail merchants certificate and if your buying wholsale you need wholesale nursury certificate we do around here I'm in Indiana

01-19-2010, 03:59 PM
THIS IS FOR THE NUMBER I HAVE SEEN ON OTHER LANDSCAPER TRUCKS, recieved info today sorry i do not have scanner anymore. has section in it MUST LANDSCAPERS REGISTER} Lanscapers whose work is limited to services performed under pennsylvanias PLANT PEST ACT do not need to register.****-However, landscapers who perform other work at private residences including, but not limited to:the placement of retaining walls,fountains or drainage systems, or the construction, replacement, installation or improvement of buildings,driveways,swimming pools,porches,garages, roofs,siding,insulation,solar energy systems, sercurity systems , flooring, patios, non decorative fences, doors, lighting systems, concrete walkways and windows must register and comply with the act. WORD FOR WORD your # MUST APPEAR ON ALL CONTRACT AND BE CLEARLY VISIBLE. IT ALSO STATES YOUR# MUST BE USED ON ALL ADVERTISEMENTS. IF YOUR VEHICLE HAS YOUR ADVERTISEMENTS AND FALL IN ABOVE CATAGORIES YOU MUST DISPLAY YOUR # MY STATE REP SENT THIS TO ME I THINK MOWING AND TRIMMING I AM GOOD WITH OUT REGISTERING TILL I START DOING FENCES AND MORE. TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK AM I IN THE CLEAR FOR NOW I THINK IT SAID $50 DOLLARS REGISTRATION GOOD FOR 2 YEARS.

01-19-2010, 08:33 PM
I think it comes down to if you just mow, you don't need to register. But if you do any kind of construction on the property, you do.