PDA

View Full Version : Customized Receipt book

Fresh Cut
01-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Today I went to the printing guy that does my business cards and asked about a receipt book with my logo on it so I will be able to give everybody a receipt.
He showed me what he had and one example of how it may look.

He said he didn't have anything for a lawn service and that he could put my logo at the top of whatever form I come up with. He said that I could bring him something such as a template that has all the fields on it that I would need and he could go from there.

So, I've been online for a few hours now looking for a form for lawn service and I can't find anything. I see a lot of sample invoices, templates, etc. but nothing that would fit what I need.

To give you guys a better idea, I'm planning on using software this year for invoices and to keep track of my money, but what about when I'm in the field, on a clients yard and the neighbor comes out and asks me to hit his next? Of course I'll do it, but I wanna be able to give him a receipt as well as have a record of it for myself.
So I wanna be able to just fill in the blanks right there at my truck, sign it, have said client sign it, and tear his copy out the book. I want my logo and company info to be at the top just like a letterhead.

Is this practical or is there a better way of doing this?

Steve
01-12-2010, 10:59 AM
What about using a laptop and small printer in your truck? We have seen others on here do that as well.

You could create a mobile office.

Check out this blog article on a mobile lawn care office. (http://lawnchat.com/?p=116)

Fresh Cut
01-15-2010, 07:13 PM
What about using a laptop and small printer in your truck? We have seen others on here do that as well.

You could create a mobile office.

Check out this blog article on a mobile lawn care office. (http://lawnchat.com/?p=116)

Steve, I can't afford that right now. I'm limited on my funds and trying to do as much as possible with what I have.

Steve
01-15-2010, 08:16 PM
I can understand working on a limited budget.

Is this practical or is there a better way of doing this?

I'd say if it keeps your expenses down, do it!

I'd love to see what they look like if you get them printed.

picframer
01-15-2010, 08:32 PM
All of my crews have a receipt book, we buy them at Staples for $1.57 for 50 duplicates and they are stamped with our company information, they get the customer name and address and email.

Each evening they hand this in and Holly will set the new customer up and our software sends them an invoice followed by a receipt via email. We have never had a customer refuse to give us their email.

This is for times when the person next door or walking buy says since you are in the area could you............Then they are sent an email asking if we can add them to our newsletter.

For one off's I have a sales guy starting in April, he will go after these first.

Steve
01-15-2010, 10:13 PM
This is for times when the person next door or walking buy says since you are in the area could you............

In such situations, how do you suggest to handle payment? Should they get credit card information or is the customer simply billed later?

picframer
01-16-2010, 05:51 AM
In such situations, how do you suggest to handle payment? Should they get credit card information or is the customer simply billed later?

Credit Card or Cheque and the new client is told before they even start that when they are finished a hand written invoice will be presented, payment is due and our office will send an invoice and receipt for the service, they note on the receipt if we are to come back so they get into the scheduling software.

Sometimes they do take cash but I ask they to avoid this at all costs, the areas we work most, almost all, is credit card. I bet we took less than $500.00 in cash last year and we will not do cash jobs without tax, employees know they would be fired no matter what, I will not work under the table and I make that very clear to every new person.

Steve
01-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Good idea. Why chase people down for payment at a later date when you can get paid the same day you do the work.

justin_time
01-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Credit Card or Cheque and the new client is told before they even start that when they are finished a hand written invoice will be presented, payment is due and our office will send an invoice and receipt for the service, they note on the receipt if we are to come back so they get into the scheduling software.

Sometimes they do take cash but I ask they to avoid this at all costs, the areas we work most, almost all, is credit card. I bet we took less than $500.00 in cash last year and we will not do cash jobs without tax, employees know they would be fired no matter what, I will not work under the table and I make that very clear to every new person.

How do you accept someone's credit card ? Do you use Paypal to do that ?

Fresh Cut
01-16-2010, 12:52 PM
All of my crews have a receipt book, we buy them at Staples for $1.57 for 50 duplicates and they are stamped with our company information, they get the customer name and address and email.

My sister suggested I look into this method because it may be cheaper, but I want a format thats specific to what I'm doing, lawn care.

I want fields that specify if they want continued cuts or that this is a one time cut, etc. Some things I tend to forget when I'm focused on getting my cutting time down on my 4th yard of the day and I got a blower on my back when the neighbor slows down in her Infiniti I35 and rolls down the window.

I guess I could start with a generic receipt book, but I really want something specific to my application.

Fresh Cut
01-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Maybe something like this but on a half page so I would have 2 per page, and I could just tear 'em out.

http://www.amosprint.com/contractors/forms/123.jpg

picframer
01-16-2010, 02:45 PM
How do you accept someone's credit card ? Do you use Paypal to do that ?

No we are set up at the bank my company deals with, the guys all have cell on them with a toll free IVR on speed dial, the call the IVR and basically 60 seconds or so later they are finished and on to the next job then I will compare a report the next day and compare the receipts to payments, we try to balance every day but that isn't always necessary so sometimes its once a week. Money is in the bank account in 24 hours or the next morning if called in by 11:00 pm in our time zone. I get a good rate it's 3.6%

I have paypal but that is for my woodworking business and Ebay.

justin_time
01-16-2010, 03:12 PM
No we are set up at the bank my company deals with, the guys all have cell on them with a toll free IVR on speed dial, the call the IVR and basically 60 seconds or so later they are finished and on to the next job then I will compare a report the next day and compare the receipts to payments, we try to balance every day but that isn't always necessary so sometimes its once a week. Money is in the bank account in 24 hours or the next morning if called in by 11:00 pm in our time zone. I get a good rate it's 3.6%

I have paypal but that is for my woodworking business and Ebay.

I'd love to do this with Paypal, accept over phone, fax or e-mail

But they charge 35$/month

3.1% + $0.30 CAD which means $3.40 on every $100

I don't even know if it's worth it ?

picframer
01-16-2010, 03:55 PM
I'd love to do this with Paypal, accept over phone, fax or e-mail

But they charge 35$/month

3.1% + $0.30 CAD which means $3.40 on every $100

I don't even know if it's worth it ?

Justin, Go talk to your local credit union, that is where my yard care company is, not one of the companies I own deals with the same bank, the credit union treats me very well.

Paypal would not fly where you live IMHO, I suspect based on your feedback most do not even know what Paypal is and if you tell them and they are over the age of 65, I am willing to bet the majority will balk like no tomorrow if they have not educated themselves.

Look at it this way also, I have no receivables and I haven't had any since I started, my woodworking company is the same way. in your example 3.4% of the sale is cheap insurance for the guarantee your money is in your account tomorrow. If you have to increase your price by 4%.

I know you are in a bit of a tough situation as your largest client is the school board, no matter where one is located, government is desperate slow to pay, I simply charge 19% interest on anything over 30 days calculated daily and it's clear on my bids and invoices, they pay it which is beyond me, what a waste of tax payer money.

We are doing snow work for the city and I know it will be 60 to 90 days before I get the cheque, whatever interest will accrue and I can carry the receivable as I know I will get paid and our retained earnings is pretty high at the moment.

justin_time
01-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Justin, Go talk to your local credit union, that is where my yard care company is, not one of the companies I own deals with the same bank, the credit union treats me very well.

Paypal would not fly where you live IMHO, I suspect based on your feedback most do not even know what Paypal is and if you tell them and they are over the age of 65, I am willing to bet the majority will balk like no tomorrow if they have not educated themselves.

Look at it this way also, I have no receivables and I haven't had any since I started, my woodworking company is the same way. in your example 3.4% of the sale is cheap insurance for the guarantee your money is in your account tomorrow. If you have to increase your price by 4%.

I know you are in a bit of a tough situation as your largest client is the school board, no matter where one is located, government is desperate slow to pay, I simply charge 19% interest on anything over 30 days calculated daily and it's clear on my bids and invoices, they pay it which is beyond me, what a waste of tax payer money.

We are doing snow work for the city and I know it will be 60 to 90 days before I get the cheque, whatever interest will accrue and I can carry the receivable as I know I will get paid and our retained earnings is pretty high at the moment.

I don't have a credit union.

I know what Paypal is.

I am willing to try it out if it's worth it but i don't even think it's worth it at the moment that's what i'm debating

picframer
01-16-2010, 04:38 PM

I know what Paypal is.

I am willing to try it out if it's worth it but i don't even think it's worth it at the moment that's what i'm debating

OK, Not sure what bank you deal with however, with Paypal your customer has to have a Paypal account also, that was my point, from what you said in the past most do not have internet so Paypal isn't going to work, i.e. you can take their credit card number and process a payment, both they and you have to have an account, I have this set up as mentioned but it's for the woodworking company I have as we ship world wide and I can accept any currency.

I use a company called UNPS to process my credit card payments in another business, they can help you out, I would give you my contact but she only looks after Atlantic Canada. Go to this page and give them a call and they will email a proposal after they ask you a few questions, I only accept Master Card and Visa, not American Express as the rate was too high.

http://www.unpsolutions.ca/english/aboutus.htm

justin_time
01-16-2010, 05:10 PM
OK, Not sure what bank you deal with however, with Paypal your customer has to have a Paypal account also, that was my point, from what you said in the past most do not have internet so Paypal isn't going to work, i.e. you can take their credit card number and process a payment, both they and you have to have an account, I have this set up as mentioned but it's for the woodworking company I have as we ship world wide and I can accept any currency.

I use a company called UNPS to process my credit card payments in another business, they can help you out, I would give you my contact but she only looks after Atlantic Canada. Go to this page and give them a call and they will email a proposal after they ask you a few questions, I only accept Master Card and Visa, not American Express as the rate was too high.

http://www.unpsolutions.ca/english/aboutus.htm

I do have a business PayPal account for my business.

I know some don't have internet, that's why I'm trying to accept payments through phone, e-mail or fax.

picframer
01-16-2010, 05:32 PM
I do have a business PayPal account for my business.

I know some don't have internet, that's why I'm trying to accept payments through phone, e-mail or fax.

Then UNPS can help you as that is who we use for the woodworking business and at craft shows we just call the credit card number in, get an authorization number and the money is in my account within 48 hours tops. Their rates and service is excellent and trust me I check everything out, they are very good.

Steve
01-16-2010, 05:49 PM
No we are set up at the bank my company deals with, the guys all have cell on them with a toll free IVR on speed dial, the call the IVR and basically 60 seconds or so later they are finished and on to the next job then I will compare a report the next day and compare the receipts to payments

What is that? IVR?

picframer
01-16-2010, 05:58 PM
What is that? IVR?

Interactive Voice Response) An automated telephone information system that speaks to the caller with a combination of fixed voice menus and data extracted from databases in real time. The caller responds by pressing digits on the telephone or speaking words or short phrases. Applications include bank-by-phone, flight-scheduling information and automated order entry and tracking.

Fresh Cut
01-16-2010, 07:46 PM

I know what Paypal is.

I have it. It's worth it, there is an option to bill the customer and pass the fee on to them, etc. Try it, it cost me nothing to try out.

picframer
01-16-2010, 07:51 PM
I have it. It's worth it, there is an option to bill the customer and pass the fee on to them, etc. Try it, it cost me nothing to try out.

As long as the customer knows up front that you are about to pass the fee, if you do it without their permission in Canada you have broken the law and subject to be charged, that is why you should either eat the cost or increase your price. Failing which you have to tell them that any fees associated with processing the credit card will be charged back to them, that sale will be next to impossible and is border line legal as you are punshing a consumer for using a credit card.

justin_time
01-16-2010, 08:46 PM

You have Paypal Virtual terminal ?

Fresh Cut
01-30-2010, 01:24 PM
You have Paypal Virtual terminal ?

no, just a paypal merchant business account upgraded from a regular account.

SuperiorPower
01-31-2010, 01:21 AM
With paypal, at least here in the US, your customer can send it for free, but like you said you have to pay $0.30 per transaction plus (here in the US) 2.9% of the payment (but this is not virtual terminal. You would have to send an invoice.). HOWEVER, if the payment comes from a paypal balance or from a bank account it is free as long as you do it under "personal transfer".

I am thinking that at once time if you sent a money request and it was for "services" rather than "products" it was either free or less of a charge.

Another option is if you have a website, you could create buttons on PayPal for the amount of the weekly or monthly charge and let them go to your website to pay, but then you would have to double check to make sure they payed the right amount.

If you can do what Andy does, it sounds like that is the best deal yet.