PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Marketing!!

lukus223
01-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Hello Everyone.

I read a lot of posts and seldom make one. This is my part-time business and we had a pretty good 2009. Got all the equipment paid for and actually made some money. Have a few year round clients and lots to call back for services this year.

Something I am considering is direct mail to "new movers". Has anyone tried this? Most people around here are very loyal to the current LCO (which is good) or are PITAs. I am hoping by targeting people new to the area, I might be their first local LCO and develop a good relationship with them. This is just one of the avenues I am trying to get customers close to my home.

What is everyone else doing??

Luke

Steve
01-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi Luke,

That is a good idea. If you do a search on here you will see other discussions that talked about that as well. You could also team up with local realtors to help reach out to new residents in your area.

Something I am considering is direct mail to "new movers".

What were you thinking of mailing them?

lukus223
01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi Luke,

That is a good idea. If you do a search on here you will see other discussions that talked about that as well. You could also team up with local realtors to help reach out to new residents in your area.

What were you thinking of mailing them?

The company I am working with will do a Ful Color/Full Gloss double sided card. I think an 8" x 6". They do all the design work and such. I was also considereing joining the local chamber of commerece to try and network with local business owners. Should be able to generate some good leads there.

Steve
01-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Those are good ideas.

Will you be promoting any kind of special new mover discount or something like that or will it be more generic?

lukus223
01-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Those are good ideas.

Will you be promoting any kind of special new mover discount or something like that or will it be more generic?

I am of the opinion that you have to provide a strong offer in order to get a response. Direct mail return rates can be low and without having a "call to action" you are just throwing your money away. I think that is why a lot of people are sour on this type of marketing. It's hard to find a good offer that will drive calls to you, but won't break the bank. Free is usually best (and not just a free estimate), but I can't do that. I may offer a % off the first months invoice. Maybe free lawn treatment when you start service? I'm not sure yet.

Can anyone else share any of their success/failures with Direct mail or "offers" that have worked well or not?

cklandscapingorlando
01-12-2010, 05:15 PM
I've done 10% on landscape work. 20 bags of mulch for free with yearly. One month free for every client they refer thats of equal or greater value

lukus223
01-12-2010, 05:49 PM
I've done 10% on landscape work. 20 bags of mulch for free with yearly. One month free for every client they refer thats of equal or greater value

How was your response rate? Were you happy with what you got. A month free is a pretty big referral bonus!

cklandscapingorlando
01-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Seemed to be about the same as any other flier or door hanger to be honest.

1 month works out to less than 10 bucks a month for a 1200 + a year house. Any one that can bring me 14,200 a year in contracts can get 30 min free a week anytime. Thats 12 new clients for a free year. Dont sound bad to me

The Cleaning Doctor
01-12-2010, 09:38 PM
When someone purchases a home the Realtor normally give them a welcome packet. Find out how you get into those. You will have to supply the fliers and such.

lukus223
01-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Seemed to be about the same as any other flier or door hanger to be honest.

1 month works out to less than 10 bucks a month for a 1200 + a year house. Any one that can bring me 14,200 a year in contracts can get 30 min free a week anytime. Thats 12 new clients for a free year. Dont sound bad to me

It does sound reasonable when you put it in perspective. All my clients get their invoices via email so I just tag on a referral program at the end of their bill. Truly, word of mouth/referral has always brought me the best customers. It's just something you can't buy and really push for next year. Any other out there care to chime in? I thought about going to the realators who specailize in the area that I want to market to. Maybe trade some work for some flyer/ad placement.