PDA

View Full Version : new old schooler

z50kidd
01-09-2010, 02:38 AM
Hello everybody,I am glad to have found this sight.I believe in forums,there is usually alot of good support,advice,answers to questions.I am new to owning my own business but have been in the business several times over the years.I was a young lawn maintenance growing up,self propelled push mower,broom (didnt have blowers in the 70's).Then at 18 I worked for a pest control company that had a commercial lawn maint ,me and one other guy with a small Gravely tractor and a Snapper.Then after my stint in the Army I worked in landscaping lot clean up ,lay sod ,planting plants,grading yards with box blade tractor. I worked for the Town of Carrboro NC cutting ball fields Kubota & Yazoos,mowing road shoulders Ford 4000 w/shoulder mower.Moved back to Fl and Operated Heavy Equip ,dozers,front end loaders,backhoes,then as an instructor at National Training Truck driving and Heavy Equip school.And then in the building materials sales for the last 16 yrs until a layoff in March 2009.
Then a short stint in Pest Control the last 6 months,didnt like working with all the chemicals.So now I am back to something I know and enjoy,I bought a man's equipment,he has about 40 accounts 20 miles across town.I plan to pick up as many accts as possible closer to my house.So I am in the process of gearing up right now,flyers,door hangers,buss cards etc...Any advice or ideas would be welcome.My company name will be Monarch Landscape Management (s-corp) ,advised by my CPA.See my list of equip below

1 Gravely 252Z XDZ Zero Turn Mower Model: 99211

1 Gravely PMZ34 Zero Turn Mower Model: 992056

1 Cyclone Rake Pro / Leaf Remover, Briggs and Stratton Intek I/C 206 6 OHV
Attachment Hoses, Power Bagger

Husqvarna 165 BT Backpack Blower Code ID: 550101

Stihl Hedge Trimmer HL100K (4mix)

Stihl Stick Edger FC90 (4mix)

Stihl Line Trimmer FS90R (4mix)

Stihl Backpack Sprayer SG20

All Pro 5' X 10' Open Landscape Trailer, Trimmer Trap Racks, Spare Tire,

Jeff

Steve
01-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to our forum!

I bought a man's equipment,he has about 40 accounts 20 miles across town.

How did you find the process of buying accounts? Do you have any advice for others looking to do this as well?

Also do you feel that you had learned a lot from the other business experiences? Were you able to apply any of the things you learned to your current business venture?

z50kidd
01-09-2010, 12:28 PM
I am still in the process of getting all my ducks in a row.My first round of cuts will be Jan 23, providing this weather warms up a bit.From what I understand
you should not cut grass if temperatures will go below freezing after cutting.
Right now our temps are cold for Jacksonville Fl, below freezing at night.

Steve
01-10-2010, 11:21 AM
What was your view on why you decided to purchase accounts versus starting it all from scratch?

z50kidd
01-10-2010, 06:46 PM
That was a portion of my decision to buy my equipment from this guy.I know I have alot of work ahead, securing some new accounts on my side of town.
He originally had 50 accounts,some were his family (inlaws,and 3 were with his church members.So I won't be getting those.Thats ok ,I should start with around 40,that leaves some room to pick up new ones.As of right now I will be mowing by myself.

Steve
01-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Starting with 40 customers is going to make this Spring a lot more exciting for you!