PDA

View Full Version : Worst way to get a new contract??

fieroboi
01-07-2010, 08:37 PM
What is the worst way you have ever got a new contract?

I got a new client here the other day. They contacted me over a month ago and asked if I could take care of their property while they were on vacation. I was pleased to pick up the extra couple of weeks as it was across the street from another client. While they were on vacation in Mexico, the husband passed away. So as a result I got a new contract as the wife is unable to look after the property. Got me wondering what is the worse way to gain a new client????

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, AB

clean_cut
01-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Almost the first thing happened to me. I was watering plants for a neighbor down the street while they were on vacation for around a week. A few months later the woman called to have the leaves cleaned, and the yard mowed, that day we found out that her husband passed away and could no longer do it.

Nandoboom
01-07-2010, 10:44 PM
WOW!
thats just sad. wat a coincidence!

Did you gave her a break for her loss? like say $5 off or something? extra work with no charge?
I know is a brand new client, but with a little apreciation you can lock her for a long time.

I would, just to feel that im helping in hard times.

CHEESE2009
01-08-2010, 12:08 PM
That's rough.

It sucks that it happens. I'd be so hurt to see one of my customers pass on especially after the bond I build with them.

I sometimes feel important as a person when dealing with certain customers. I have an elderly couple who always like to check up on me to see how I'm doing & what I'm up to over the phone.

Every time I go to maintenance their lawn it's impossible for me not to love these people, the two of them always come out to say hi & compliment my work & share their updates. They always stay outside until I drive off & they stand their waving goodbye, then they hold each others hands & walk back indoors.

I wish I could just be their friend & never have to charge them, if I could I would. They even asked me for my assistants phone number so they could wish her the best of luck with her goals that she had mentioned to them.

I wish I was rich, so I could give customers like this some sort of prize every season for being who they are. I'm always trying to think of something.

The thing that kills ME, is the fact the only reason they had to hire me was because the husband is getting more sick day by day. I hate it!!!!

I feel like a jerk in a way? It's strange.

The Cleaning Doctor
01-08-2010, 02:44 PM
anonymous Santa.... Give then $100 next year for Christmas..... Don't let them know it was you.

fieroboi
01-09-2010, 01:57 PM
I know what you mean, Scott. I have a few customers like that as well. Many I will knock on the door of, if I haven't seen them in a couple visits, just to make sure they are ok! There are so many seniors out there, that are isolated because family lives so far away, or they have been abandoned by friends and family.

I did give this client a discount due to the circumstances of her husbands death. She seems like such a sweet lady, I am sure it will be a pleasure looking after her lawn and snow removal needs.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, AB