PDA

View Full Version : new guy here!

cuoco0925
01-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Hello my name is Rich and I've been doing a lot of side work with lawn maintence and snow re.oval. I have been toying with the idea of becoming a legit business myself and have no clue as to where to start. I live in new jersey and I would appreciate all information from everyone here on how to go about this from starting it up to doing my first job. I have peop.e asking me all the time to come do work for them but I don't feel comfortable doi g tons of work without being a business. I know there must be a wealth of information here from all you professionals and I look forward to hearing everyone professional opinions. Also of there are any books on this subject I'm not opposed to research lol. Thank you in advance!

Jimbo MD
01-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi Rich, Here is what legit guys in MD do. First get a good accountant, they know everything you need. Become incorporated, your accountant will tell you the importance of this.Get a state License, in my state it's against the law to write a contract without a license. Shop several insurence companies. Keep good records of everything, Quickbooks has a great package, or you can do Quickbooks On Line, that way if you have a problem your accountant go online and fix anything. My accountant does my payroll so they just go online at there office and do payroll from there.Hope this helps, just ask if you need anything else.
Jimbo

Steve
01-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Hi Rich,

Welcome to our forum!

What got you interested in this kind of business?

If you are looking to go legit, you can keep it simple. Just go to your local county court house and register a d.b.a. (doing business as). Then you can open a business bank account and you are ready to go.

arthur712
01-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the Forum!