PDA

View Full Version : More businesses going organic

Steve
06-12-2006, 09:23 PM
More businesses are going organic and seeing great returns from it.

"The challenge for organic landscapers is convincing the customer to spend more money up front and reap the investment later.
This seems to be the biggest hurdle with going organic, but there are many upsides to doing it.

Do you see this as the wave of the future? Should you be going this way now and get in ahead of the pack?

Organic lawns evolving locally as demand grows (http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Business/Headlines/bizRE01BIZ061106.htm) - Evolving Landscapes, is catching on as the culture becomes more environmentally sensitive.

"I've got more business than I can handle," Schroeder said. "It's a good problem to have. I've had to hire four people."

Jeff Brower, owner of Organic by Design, said there's an obvious appeal to landscaping without the use of synthetic and poisonous chemicals.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/downloads/Bizorganiclandscape5061106.jpg

kc2006
06-12-2006, 10:12 PM
I posted a little "coming soon" message on my website about the organic fertilizers. I should be talking with the supplier tomorrow and see what kind of prices we're looking at so I can go from there.

Steve
06-12-2006, 11:11 PM
What are you going to be doing to promote these new services to your customers?

kc2006
06-13-2006, 04:05 PM
For my current customers I'm going to send out a little flyer with the invoices this month. I'm also going to be doing more flyers probably in early July, just trying to keep the name fresh on peoples minds and that will be the flyer pushing the website and the organic fertilizers.

Steve
06-13-2006, 06:11 PM
How is it best do you feel to market such services?

Do you promote the safety for pets, children and the environment?

Or what angle do you feel you will take?

kc2006
06-13-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm going to market it the same as most of the companies I see are. They're stating facts of the safety benefits and the environmental benefits. If I can market it properly I think I'll be able to get a good amount of people wanting to use it.

Steve
06-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Tell me this, do you think it would be a good idea if you hosted some sort of free seminar on the dangers of household pesticides and the benefits of organics?

Could you give such a talk in association with a local lake association that is trying to protect their lake or a local home owners association? Would that help get people to attend? Could you send out press releases and have the news media there?

kc2006
06-13-2006, 11:38 PM
That's a really good idea and would get a lot of attention I think.

I'll keep that in mind for something to do maybe in late winter while gearing up for spring, or in early spring. That would take alot of planing to get it done, so that's why I say I'd wait.

Steve
06-14-2006, 03:15 AM
Kurt you know I love to push you to expand and explore.

What if, you did something like this, this year as a trial run for bigger things next year.

I totally know you, Troy and I could come up with a workable presentation you could use at such a seminar.

It doesn't have to be a big huge presentation. It can be simple and these people would love to hear your view on things.

It would also make for a great public relations item on your website.

"If your local non-profit association is in need of a guest speaker to discuss the advantages of organic fertilizer and the potential problems with today's chemical and pesticide usage please contact our company president Kurt.

We offer this service at no charge in our desire to help better educate our community.

Prior speaking engagements include the following:

Upcoming speaking engagements:"

In fact this wouldn't be a bad idea for Troy to consider as well. It could be beneficial.

Steve
06-14-2006, 03:16 AM
In fact if either of you wanted to do this, I would even help you create a Power Point or pamphlet handout to use in your presentation.