PDA

View Full Version : One of our Plows

picframer
01-04-2010, 09:13 AM
To say the last 48 hours has been a challange would be a gross understatement when it comes to snow. I would guess we received around 18 to 20" which is fine however, it started off as fluff, then freezing rain, temp dropped quick so it started freezing and the snow was unreal how fast it was falling.

I plowed 27 driveways, sometimes not getting home until 2 a.m. then heading back at 5 so people could get to work, it was one of the hardest snow removals I have come across in 20 years.

I have the plows made by a company in Ontario, they are quick attach meaning I can drop the plow and put the bucket on in about 1 min tops, it is a real slick setup.

Aside from plowing I must have pulled 30 cars and trucks out of the ditch, even without chains this tractor in the image has amazing traction and if needed I drop the arms for the backhoe and use it to pull people out, I charge a flat $25.00. There was one younger fellow I pulled out that never even said thanks nor did he pay, but I don't forget faces or vehicles.

Today is a down day as I am beat, have some minor maintenance to do. I ran this tractor almost 20 hours plowing on one tank of diesel, they really are efficient that way.

Boys in blue were out, mainly trying to catch the ATV's, man I had some close calls, these guys are either loaded or simply not playing with a full deck.

This is my driveway and like most others a sheet of ice.

Steve
01-04-2010, 10:43 AM
That is really interesting!

How does using a snow plow like you have set up there compare with using a bucket? I am guessing maybe the angle helps you just push the snow out of the way?

Also how does using a tractor for plowing compare with using a pickup?

picframer
01-04-2010, 12:58 PM
That is really interesting!

How does using a snow plow like you have set up there compare with using a bucket? I am guessing maybe the angle helps you just push the snow out of the way?

Also how does using a tractor for plowing compare with using a pickup?

The bucket is excellent for getting snow out of the way, wet or frozen snow and I use to to clear bus stops and fire hydrants.

Compared to a pickup, the one in the image blows a truck out of the water, I have a smaller unit (2305) and it is not as good as a truck, I also have a 2720 and a 3320 out there, a truck can't hold a candle to these when it comes to pushing power.

I look at cost, It costs me about $70.00 a day in gas to run a four wheel drive truck, lets say a 10 hour shift, one of these tractors, maybe $15.00 tops and they are built for the job.

Steve
01-05-2010, 12:09 PM
When it comes to pushing power, what makes it so much better? Is it the torque? Or the large tires in the rear or a combination of that and more?