PDA

View Full Version : Not a season of joy for everyone

swstout
12-24-2009, 09:39 PM
This is the time of year to watch your friends, relatives and neighbors. My wife is a forensic nurse in call this weekend. So far today, she has called to 1 suicide and 3 attempted suicides!

There are more attempted suicides in the 48 hour period between December 24th and 25th than any other 48 hour period of the year.

Watch for depression, especially if they have lost a loved one during the past year. Also, watch carefully those who because of the economy feel unable to get their children and spouses what they want for Christmas (2 today for this reason).

For the most part, they just need someone to talk to! It is not the season of Joy for everyone!

Charity can make the situation worse. Spending a little time with them is what is needed.

Steve

CHEESE2009
12-24-2009, 11:43 PM
It's sad, though I hope the depression isn't contageous.

Winter is the best time to get friends & family together as much as possible.

Winter alone is quiet, cold & always dark. I believe the lack of sun influences our negative emotions. Winter itself can make people feel closterphobic & such, no one 'reallly' wants to go outdoors + the fact we cannot hybernate = depression.

Steve
12-26-2009, 09:00 AM
That is very interesting! How does all that work? Is your wife called to talk a person threatening suicide, out of doing it?

SuperiorPower
12-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Indeed, this is not a happy time for everyone. Suicides, homicides, and other unfortunate causes of death (including traffic accidents) are up this time of the year.

Suicides tend to be up from November 1st on until spring.

What is sad is that as of yesterday, on Christmas day, a Missouri State Trooper was killed in the line of duty (http://odmp.org/officer/20182-trooper-dennis-engelhard). His family will never look at Christmas the same way. Though I did not personally know him, He was as a brother to me.

Rest in Peace my Brother, we have the watch from here!
Eli

Steve
12-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Oh wow! Highways are really dangerous!